Leftwich Talking To An Unnamed Team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Apr 4, 2009.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Leftwich, Batch still seek jobs
    Friday, April 03, 2009
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The Steelers did not enter the bidding for Denver's Jay Cutler, but they do need a quarterback -- two of them, in fact.

With the draft just three weeks from tomorrow, the Steelers have only two quarterbacks under contract: starter Ben Roethlisberger, with his two Super Bowl rings, and Dennis Dixon, who spent almost all of his rookie season on the sideline.

The Steelers want to sign one or both of their veteran backups, Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich, both of whom are unrestricted free agents. Yet there seems to be no rush on either side to make a move.

That could change over the next few days.

Leftwich has been talking to one unnamed team other than the Steelers, who have told him they would like to sign him for another year. He has found little interest in him as a starting quarterback in the NFL. If he does not get that chance, he has said he would like to rejoin the Steelers. Leftwich has been working out in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Batch, who has been working out with the Steelers, also wishes to return, but like Leftwich, who has the same agent, he has received no contract offer yet from the team. Batch also has received little interest elsewhere.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09093/960294-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

I really hope its not the Jets!!

2. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

....why hope it's not the Jets, WE DO NOT have a proven NFL QB, he could be a great addition as a safety net if the "inexperienced 3" are not ready....

3. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

I would like to see a vet signed as insurance and ainge dumped. I am not at all comfortable with 3 unproven qbs I think leftwich would be a good addition.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yeah, not sure why this deal hasn't already been made. Sounds like he could be had extremely cheap. Need an experienced QB on the roster.

5. jetsboy88

jetsboy88 New Member

Im very surprised that Leftwich wasnt picked up by anyteam yet. The MNF game I watched against the Redskins when Ben got injured, he performed by throwing 2 touchdowns, and leading the Steelers with a win.
    I think the JETS will be looking for a vetern QB to give Kellen, and Brett some extra push. Jeff Garcia, or Leftwich would be the guy to do it. Also I heard alot about Josh Freeman name coming out from JETS officials. I wouldnt be surprised at 17 if we get Freeman, or move up for Maclin

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Can he play on special teams?

7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I don't know why so many people hate Ainge, he could be our start by next season (2010).

He was better in college than both KC and Brett.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the jets are plain stupid for not signing him or someone yet. there is no fucking way you go into a season with the crew that we currently have. i dont give a shit how much you want one of these guys to succeed. i am fairly confident that the team wants to get one of the new guys in there and leftwich wants to start. which i kind of understand but we need a veteran on this team.

going into the season with the 3 we have would be an even worse idea than going into the season with vinny testaverde and nobody behind him ala bill parcells.

9. jetzfan

jetzfan Member

Now I know why I can never find a Post-it when I need one........

10. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

I think Jeff Garcia would be the Jets best option right now. Although he's no Favre, he's one of those QB's that always gives it everything he has, and make plays with his legs when there's nothing there. He doesn't have a big head / ego, and he's a good leader / team player. I'd go get Garcia before he's gone too....

11. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Brian wants to start and if he cant, he said he would return with the Steelers which makes sense. If he comes here he will have to compete for the #1 spot, so I dont see that happening. Now as far as the '99 disaster with Mirer as our backup? I dont think we can top that. That was one decision BP really miscalculated

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...that's a good thing.

13. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I've always been a Leftwich fan. If the Jets dont want to draft a QB then I wouldnt mind seeing him brought in hear to compete.

14. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

Only in hindsight....

15. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Be better in college really means very little. Someone has to be the odd man out we cant carry 4 qb's again

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I kinda agree. Not quite as bad as the VT year, but still think adding a vet would be in our best interest.

17. GreenMachine

Hindsight is Nick Saban.

18. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

So is Pennington....

19. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

So is that burrito I ate yesterday...

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

No, we knew he would melt down against a top D like he always has, maybe thats hindsight for you though.