Cutler To Bears

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ........, Apr 2, 2009.

1. SackXchange

SackXchange New Member

At least me and Ellis see the light. Too bad most of you dont.

2. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

I am soooo happy right now. We almost traded away the future of our franchise for the David Lee of the NFL. I'm glad that Jets management is staying strong and true to their system.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

too bad the two of you have a tirade in two threads thats been disproven by 4 people and you continue to think you're correct.

4. SettlerDawg

Quote me for this: Jay Cutler will be, at best, average in Chicago.

5. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Who cares? Jay Cutler WHO?

6. SackXchange

SackXchange New Member

The future? We dont have much of a future without a Franchise QB. David Lee? This isnt the NBA.

7. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Disproven because you think one way and I think another... thats rich... you like for "our" team to mediocre. I on the other hand would like to win something before I die. The key to winning in the NFL is Quarterback play and Defense... we have one or the other, never both at the same time.

8. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

We didn't get Cutler because the asking price was too high. Stop acting like the next 10 seasons are over already. No one was acting like this before Cutler was on the trade block.

9. SettlerDawg

Most quarterbacks that succeed are put into a good situation and grow through an offensive coordinator's system. We have Ratliff and Clemens who know the playbook like the back of their hand. If the coaches don't feel that they are starter material, then we will draft on of the top 3 quarterbacks this year. It's that simple.

I used the David Lee analogy because Cutler is a stat compiler. His stats are inflated because he threw the ball 616 times!! Yes, Cutler has a strong arm and is mobile, but he benefited from a great offensive supporting cast and a coach that called for 616 attempts. Denver's wide receivers were top 3 in the NFL last season. Denver's offensive line was also top 3 last season (did Cutler even get touched in the Jets game?). Cutler had one decent year where he was able to pass for 4500 yards with a 86 QB rating (which isn't even that good) because he was in the right situation.

With Chicago, Cutler will have many years where he has high interception totals and a low QB rating.

We can now fill holes with our next two 1st round picks (aside from Gholston, Tanny has done well with the picks) so that our QB will actually have someone to throw to. And we won't have to cut players and have inactive free agencies because of Cutler's future contract. Very good move by the Jets

10. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I heard 512 of them were audibles...

11. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

That was a lot to give up,but i was hoping to all but kill any chance that Clemens throws another football in a Jets uniform.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

thinking that I'm ok with the mediocrity is hilarious - go through my post history during the season and you will see I was the only poster trying to change the mentality of this team from accepting mediocrity and wanting more. So don't ever think I accept being a middle pack team. Also, i'm one of the few on this board who knows that franchise QBs are beyond important to the success of this team.
    I know that, but I'm not going to sit here and bitch and moan about not landing a QB because the trade wasn't "enough." If Denver said no to Tanny, who is known as an aggressive GM, and went with Angelo's offer, its too bad. The fact that he's out of the AFC means a lot to teams, because they'd rather face him in the SB than during the AFC championship race. All teams think that way because they don't only do it with QBs, they do it with all top end players. Report after report after report about players being out of their division and conference if traded. This isn't new. To think to continue to throw picks at Denver until the Jets get him isn't how its done. No GM will put their job on the line like that, they'll get killed by the media and the fans until they are gone.

The fact that you're hell bent on believing there was some sort of magic trade that would have made the Jets the best team to get Cutler is sad. Clemens wasn't going to be enough, that needs to be written in stone. No GM is accepting this kid who has almost no track record. How many picks would it take, in your mind? Because anything more than what Chicago gave up begins to unbalance the trade. Or is there no limit to what Cutler is worth?

I accept mediocrity?? Educate yourself. And it's not "our" team, its "their" team... we are fans, we are last on the totem pole and no one cares what we think in a sports organization. We are sheep, lemmings, fucking clown shoes. I write this same shit twice a week.

13. skipper

skipper Member

The sky is falling, the sky is falling, ooops, the sky fell!!!!!

We'll be fine. As many others have said, the best trades are sometimes the ones you don't make

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm just glad it's over so we can move on. Let's just support whoever wins the job(Ratliff) and look forward to a great season.

15. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

This... being a "Forum"... is the only place for me to voice my displeasure. And yes I believe there was a deal that could have insured that Culter would have ended up a Jet, and no, I don't think it would have hinged on Clemens. That is what I believe. I also believe that it was Tanny that was unwilling to give up what would have been required to ensure that this deal would have gotten done *** out of fear ***, and think that this is short-sighted on his part. So, his being known as an "aggresive" GM doesn't hold water with me. To me it seems he is only "aggressive" in deals where he is bidding againt himself. I'm not as high on Tanny as most of this board. He's a numbers cruncher who has benefited from surrounding himslef with some pretty good talent evaluators, including our old GM prior to him... excellent talent evaluator, terrible GM

With the status of this team, I wouldn't say there is no limit, but at least make Chicago up the anty before bowing out. Had we come in with a 1st and 2nd this year and a 1st and 3rd next year, something that I do not think is out of the question for a QB of Cutlers ability, age and apparent durability, and the fact that he is just entering his prime. I think this deal would have been sewn up. With the FA's that have been signed over the last few seasons and the fairly good drafting the past 2 years, this would have become a much better landing spot for some key free-agents over the next 2 years who are looking for a place to win and win soon, which would have offset the loss of a few draft picks and locked up the QB position for the next 10 to 12 years. *** EDIT*** While the ideal way to build a winning team is though the draft, we currently don't have that luxury with the amount of money we have invested in some high profile Free Agents, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The offense also took some substantial leaps forward last year. Putting training wheels back on the offense is not going to make things better. It's going to keep the defense on the field for long periods of time again. Never a good thing. We are not the Ravens, no matter how much people here think this defense is top 5 right now, its just not. you know what top 5 defenses have... offenses that keep them off the field and control the ball. We have exactly 1 person who can give the offense big play ability right now. WR's can cost us games, but are more of a plug and play position that the QB. If we plan on playing plug and play with the QB, we'll ne ver be successful. This was a trade that could have been made, and I firmly believe that. Would we have over-paid. Possibly, in many a fans eyes, but I don't think this was an opportunity that could have been passed by if the Jets plan on being taken seriously. *** EDIT ***

And while you may be offended that I think you accept mediocrity, well, to bad...I don't need to be educated about what you think or may have posted in the past. It doesn't much matter to me. Sorry...

#335 Mehl-56, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  16. Angry Teste

Angry Teste Active Member

My point wasn;t the posts on the first page...just when u hit page 9, it kinda gets reptitive.

So let me get this str8...ummmm...what did they get?

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I haven't read every post so i'm sure it must have been said but i truely believe the Broncos had no plans on trading Cutler to an AFC team.
    I really think there was nothing Tanny could have done to make this deal happen.

18. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Online forums would be lots of fun if fans would just blindly support the team's decisions and never - gasp! - discuss them. Just tremendous.

19. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Seriously, I don't even necessarily agree with those who are bitching, but this is the absolute first place where they ought to exercise their right to bitch.

20. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Oh yes let's not trade for a position that we can NEVER have some sort of stability in this Franchise with.

I mean, a 25 year old with his pedigree in such a short span...Yeah, your right, let's go through some more average QB's with an occasional 98' Vinny and 02' Chad sprinkled in there...

Hooray!!!