Cutler To Bears

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ........, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

ok... so they took a back-up QB who started off and on over Rex Grossman and the only reason he started last year was because they had nobody else... and you think it's cus we didn't have enough to offer... thats kinda short sighted...

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Great point JJ... However, would you as a GM that's playing with Woody's money REALLY want to do something like that? It would have been a pretty ballsy move by Tanny for a guy he's never really wanted.

3. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

They should have tried to match that offer or more. Cutler is a proven QB and young and one of the best QB's in the league...

A QB that is "proven" "young" will probably NEVER be on the trading block again. And a few years from now, AFTER many many "2nd rounder VS. Undrafted QB's" searching for our QB... We will be looking back with our heads DOWN on this day.

We are trying to be that team with that elite defense... however we still need to score. The hardest thing to get in this league is a franchise QB. They give you a chance every year.

I would have given them this years 1st, 3nd, next years 1st, 3th, and one of our QB's of their choice.

4. ........

........ Trolls

It's been widely reported that the Broncos weren't interested in Clemens. Now, they also said a QB wasn't a requirement, but our number of picks would have had to increase. As far as Orton, the guy is 21 - 12 as a starter in the NFL. For an average at best backup, that's awfully good.

5. KSJets

KSJets New Member

No, I'm the type of guy that, if I saw someone on the ice struggling, I'd give him a little nudge to make sure he goes down :smile:

6. Mehl-56

again... he plays in a shitty division... we could do this ad-nausium... Kellen Clemens, in the Bears organization, probably has similar numbers.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

so you wanted the jets to add more picks and Clemens???

does the argument then become "we got raped" because I think that the consensus amongst GMs and owners would be that the Jets gave up 6 picks and a unknown backup QB for Cutler... this board would melt.

The Jets just didn't have enough to offer. It sucks but its true.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Two things we do know after all this drama. First, the power in the NFCC has just shifted dramatically in favor of da Bears.. Second, the Jet FO's opinion of the Qb's presently on the roster isn't as low as its fanbase. We could very well end up doing exactly what Ryan and Tanny have said all along..

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

but because he doesn't have the numbers, it doesn't matter... orton has the numbers and winning record. he wins.

Clemens has the 5-11 TD INT ratio and the back end of a 4-12 season... what GM makes that trade.

look at this objectively.

10. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Your problem is that you're trying to play connect the dots using your feet, with your eyes closed, and using crayons.

There is no way, NO F'N WAY, the season is already over in April.

11. ........

........ Trolls

Dude, I'm not arguing that. All I'm telling you is what was true from the standpoint of reality. The Broncos did this deal a day after deciding 100% to trade Cutler. They weren't going to go through the tape to decide who was a better prospect between the different offered QBs. They likely looked at W-L record and statistics, plus any past experience with the QBs. From your perspective, you've seen Kellen because you're a Jets fan. From their perspective, he's an unproven guy with a horrible record and stats as a starter.

12. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Ya know C, I think as good as Tanny is as a capologist, I'm not sure how he couldn't want this guy. The fact that he preferred Leinart over Cutler, when anyone that's really seen Leinart play, knew he wasn't all that great [speaks volumes]. I see your point, but I just hate safety! Winning and safety rarely jive in my eyes.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

yeah, thats pretty much it.

14. Mehl-56

I don't think they would have had to add as many picks as you make it out to be. A 5th rounder next year probably would have sealed it, I know I know let me know how I'm gioving away the farm now...

And, just so you know, this board will melt sometime in October when we are looking up at the AFC east with 3 wins because we get 0 production from our offense and it directly correlates to QB play, and the whole board is yelling about how we pussied out of the Culter deal to save a 5th rounder and Kellen Clemens.

15. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

You are undervaluing Orton. He was doing great last year before he got hurt. He is definitely a starter in this league, even if he is an average one.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Bears have signed Orlando Pace

17. Angry Teste

Angry Teste Active Member

Enough of repeating the deal!!!

Post#14

Post#15

Post#16

and that is just the first page. read the thread-try not to repeat posts.

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I agree. For us to top this would have been stupid... the only way to put it. Who knows how much more they would have wanted from us?

We'll never know. Let's move on. There's life after Cutler, you know guys?

19. ........

........ Trolls

A 5th next year (essentially the same as a 6th this year) does not swing a trade when one partner wants nothing to do with the other. That's not giving away the farm, it's just not a likely trade.

Denver got two #1s, which we could have given, a #3, which we could have given, and a QB with 2 years as a starter and a 21 - 12 record. We couldn't give that last one. A future 5th doesn't change that, or the fact that we're in the same conference.

20. Mehl-56

There is one reason he started last year and one reason alone... REX GROSSMAN.