New York Jets Interested in TE Pettigrew

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

I will be very disappointed if the Jets draft Pettigrew in the first round. Yes they need a TE, but taking one in the first round in two consecutive years is a mistake. Plus, if I recall correctly he had a terrible combine. I would much rather go QB, WR, RB, DE, or CB depending on who's available. If this guy doesn't go too early maybe they can move up and take him in the late first or early second, but that would be it.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I guess what I am getting at here is, what if Davis sucks as well. You are still in the same boat, just paying alot more at that position with Revis, Sheppard and Davis' contracts. I think the Sheppard signing and Strickland for depth, plus Lowery, you go with what you have at that position. I agree, nothing is guaranteed with Sheppard, but the same can be said for Davis.

3. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

It doesn't make sense to spend a first round pick on a dynamic, downfield TE. If the Jets need a blocking TE, surely they can wait until later rounds to get one or even sign a few undrafted FAs to fill that role. They could also bring back Franks or sign a veteran UFA like Mark Campbell for pretty cheap.

4. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Yeah but you can make that argument for any pick in the 1st round. All I'm trying to do is address the weakness of the team which was our pass defense (29th). Not to mention we face the Patriots spread offense twice a year (and maybe three times a year) so I don't see how we can go wrong with having the best secondary in the league if everything works out as planned.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The thing with Sheppard is that his contract/trade was done in a way that almost forces us to cut him next year and let him go to FA. He gets a $10 million option bonus in '10 and we have to give up a 2nd round pick. If he's not on our roster we only have to give up a later round pick and we don't have to pay the $10 million.

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I think some of the passing D can be attributed to the LBs in coverage as well. I remember seeing them put Pace on WRs. The second half of the year was just brutal in terms of pass coverage.

I see your point, I would just go with a WR in the first. It is a position of need in which no moves have been made, whereas there has been significant effort already to improve the secondary. JMO.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Ok, fair point that I did not consider. But couldn't they redo his contract if he does well, give him another signing bonus and prorate it over the live of the contract at the end of the year?

8. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I read this somewhere and was going to bring this up as well but I wasn't 100% sure about the details of Shito's contract. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Why is is called Shito anyway?

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If he does well I'm sure they could figure out a way to work his contract, but that 2nd round pick would still be there ...

Think Vilma trade.

11. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I agree. That's why my original post said if Maclin is not available at 17, I'd go a different route. Nicks and Harvin have lost their flavor to the Jets scout team, and the Draft is deep in WR's anyway. I'd love to take Robiskie (sp?) in the 2nd if he drops to us then. I also wouldn't mind moving down and out of that spot as well.

12. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Someone around here has a Shito Lepperd screen name and I find it amusing. That's all.

13. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Yes, immature, juvenile, sophomoric humor is always hysterical.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

almost as hysterical...as your cheap attempts at using "sarcasm".

15. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

i think that we can draft almost anyone in the first round.. meaning pettigrew, sanchez, knoshawn.. and it wont be a mistake.. the thing is we need to rebuild.. last year we took favre and just swung for te fences.. that didnt work.. so now we have to rebuild.. we need another TE.. we need a WR.. we are going to need a RB becuz leon will never be an every down back and TJ is almost finished no matter how few carries he has.. his age isnt decieving.. hes getting old.. all we have to do is just take the best player on the board at #17.. and hope the season isn't too brutal..

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

rebuild?? are you serious?

The Jets are built to win "now"...but the team needs a QB first and foremost.....

17. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Don't feel bad. All of your posts amuse me as well.

18. Heavy Metal Thunder

If we're gonna get a TE early I'd rather go...

rd 1 - WR Kenny Britt
    rd 2 - TE Chase Coffman

I think our 4 biggest needs are WR, DE, RB and now this thread has me thinking TE also. I trust Rex and the staff will figure out the best way to fill those holes.

19. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Vote Mark Sanchez in 09'

20. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

WHAT!?.. "built to win now".. how are we going to win now without a QB.. or a #1 WR..

ARE YOU SERIOUS??..

all we have done this offseason is upgrade our defense.. and our offense has drastically fallen off.. im hoping more than anyone that ratliff or KC can play football and can be an NFL QB.. but we are not built to win now..

how can you honestly say we are not in a rebuilding period.. what the hell are we doing then.. do you see the our division and conference.. the odds are REALLY against us to make it to the playoffs this year..

"win now".. your an idiot..