Do you regret the release of Chad?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DHarris52, Mar 20, 2009.

?

Do you regret the release of Chad Pennington?

1. Yes, we are screwed at QB right now.

49 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. No, we wouldn't have been the caliber team we need to be with him at QB.

174 vote(s)
    68.5%
  3. Not sure how I feel.

31 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

OK...this is a simple question. Let's stay on topic with no BS.

Given the current QB predicament we are in, do you regret the Jets releasing Chad Pennington, or do you feel we would never have reached that "next level" with him under center anyway?

2. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

No, it was time to move on. I like Chad, but we were never going to go any farther than we did in 2004 with him; at least with Ratliff and Clemens, there's the potential that we could do better.

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Frankly, I do not regret it - as I thought that should have been done 2 years ago when Mangini came in as the Jets HC.

But, I was vehemently against releasing Chad in order to bring in Favre. I personally thought last season was where Chad would showcase his abilities - efficient, error-free game managing, with flawless play-action fakes here and there, backed up by once again strong rushing attack. So when I saw Jets grabbed Favre, I was very disappointed. It took me about half a season to convince myself that Favre trade was a good attempt (then things went sour).

Anyway, "parting ways with Chad" part wasn't the problem. Replacing Chad with Favre, not Clemens or Ratliff, was.

4. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I stopped thinking about Chad on August 7, 2008 and I've never looked back.

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Exactly! Against the top defenses in the league you need a strong armed QB who can make throws downfield under pressure. This is not and will never be Chad. (See his last game vs Ravens in the playoffs as example)

6. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I like Chad a lot but I dont think we were ever going to win a SB with him at QB.

7. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

In 2004 we were also in the game with the Steelers in spite of Chad. Our defense carried us in that game. He's a great guy and I love how competitive he is, but he just couldn't get the job done when the season was on the line, multiple times.

8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I'm the second vote for not sure.

Sure he likely would have never brought us to a SB but I guarentee you our chances are better with him vs our current QBs. I guarentee you he would have brought us to the playoffs last year.

That being said, if we end up getting Cutler then releasing Chad was a fantastic move :wink:

9. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Chad Blows

10. pender30

pender30 Member

Love Chad but I'm not upset he's gone. Couldn't count on him to stay healthy and if you were down two scores with under 8 minutes to go the game was basically over. There's only so many 15 play, 10 minute drives you can fit into a game. They're great when you're tied or ahead, but when we were behind we were sunk with Chad as QB.

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I voted not sure. He'd be the perfect QB for our team right now and certainly better than who we have, but I understood the Favre move when it was made. Chad was runner-up MVP of the league, it's not like he can't play, and he seems to be over the shoulder/arm issues. But we can't go back, we have young QBs and I'm partuclarly excited to see what Ratliff can do with another year under his belt. The part that sucks is Chad is on Miami so we still have to deal with him, it would be less of an issue for me if he went to the NFC somewhere.

#11 Italian Seafood, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

That would be a negatory.

13. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Nononononononononononono

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If we had Chad last season we probably would have won the division and got destroyed by the Ravens in the playoffs.

The only thing I regret about getting rid of him is hearing the faggy fins fans blowing him now after talking shit about him for years.

15. JETSFANNYC

JETSFANNYC New Member

Miami fans found out very quickly why we wanted him out, he'll take us to the playoffs, but he'll rip out all our hearts while he throws 4 picks a game when we get there.

16. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

For a guy that played 1 full season for us in his career I am happy to see him go he could not stay healthy.

17. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

No, I loved the guy, he was great when healthy but he was never healthy and his arm strength after the surgeries was no longer adequate for the windy conditions in which we play.

I wish him all the luck in the world and hope he does great things in Miami, as far as its not at our expense :)

18. thecolouroffire

thecolouroffire New Member

No looking back, I think chad is a good middle of the road QB he will hold the game pretty well but doesnt really deliver when the pressure is on. we had favre he could have gotten us to the SB he did'nt time to move on and stop dwelling, We need to be looking to see what clements can do this season. If we get cuttler however...were in with a shot!

19. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

It was time to move on. I did not like Favre as the replacement and I did not think Chad should been booted to make way for Brett. I would have liked to hold on to him until we found a young QB that could beat him out for the job though.

20. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Now that we have Rex Ryan? Absolutely. I think Chad's game would have been perfect for this system.