Jets to work out J. Freeman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Because QB is the most important position and Freeman is so talented he counts as having the most potential of any player in the draft. If you honestly believe he can cut down on his INTs then he rates as the best player in the draft. But if he can't cut down on the INTs he's a taller Rex Grossman. This a player where the scouts really have to earn their money because they are so many judgement calls than can't be easily made by looking at stats or highlight tapes:

- His INTs went down every year, will that continue?

- He was poorly coached, Ron Prince ran an Athletes Gone Wild program and Bill Snyder fired every single assistant when he came back. How much better will he get with real coaches?

- Why did he usually suck against good teams, except Texas, the best team on his schedule?

- What impact did having zero talent around him have on his performance?

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Are you seriously going to compare Josh Freeman to Rex...fuckin'...Grossman? They are not similar in any way.

3. joesanerd

joesanerd New Member

He reminds me of a poorman's Pennsylvania quarterback... Big Ben type build, Mcnabb's athleticism/indecision specially when McNabb came outta college.

Wouldn't be horrible to have a QB develop into one of those guys... but then again, eh

4. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Strong armed QBs who throw a lot of INTs. Its a valid comparison. Lemme guess, I have to compare him to a black guy.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

ahahaha...I said earlier in this thread that one of the best comparisons I've seen for Josh Freeman is Jay Cutler, who definitely in not black.

Grossman is barely 6'1 - Freeman is 6'6.

Grossman weighs about 217 soaking wet - Freeman is a solid 250

Freeman's arm is WAY stronger than Grossman's - mainly because of the height.

It was just a horrible comparison...plain and simple.

6. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Haven't seen this link/story posted in this thread, but apologize in advance if it was already done:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/new_york_jets_to_hold_private.html

As first reported in The Star-Ledger last month, the Jets are very interested in Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman. How interested? They've scheduled a private workout with him this week, according to NFL.com.

On Monday, Freeman will have a chalk talk with Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and on Tuesday, he'll work out for coach Rex Ryan, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and Schottenheimer. It's unknown where the interview/workout will take place.

Freeman, a 6-foot-6, 250-pound junior, is shooting up the charts after an impressive showing at the NFL Combine and at Kansas State Pro Day. He has a big arm and is mobile.

As I've said, I think the Jets are fully prepared to go with either Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff at quarterback, but if Freeman falls to them at 17th overall it's unlikely they'll pass him up.

The Jets have also shown interest in USC QB Mark Sanchez but he's expected to be long gone by the time they're on the clock.

Having addressed nearly all of their needs in free agency, the Jets will likely select the player highest on their board with their first-round pick -- quarterback, wide receiver, cornerback and linebacker are among the positions they're looking at.

Keep an eye on Illinois CB Vontae Davis, although as I've reported, the Jets are concerned about some character issues.

Update: I'm told the interview/workout will take place at Kansas State in Manhattan, Kansas.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

http://imatopprospect.ning.com/profiles/blogs/jets-interview-preparation-and

8. jets272

jets272 New Member

I'm a big fan of this guy, has a great attitude and has the skills to be one of the best. Kansas State's program was a mess while he was there. If this kid played at Oklahoma or Texas people would be asking who is Sam Bradford? whatever team who gets this guy is going to get a solid quaterback

9. jets272

jets272 New Member

Josh Freeman is Solid as a Rock

article is form sporting news if you google the article you can find the link.... not allowed to post the link due to lack of posts ...sorry

Josh Freeman is solid as a rock
    March 17, 2009

Matt Hayes

He's flat-out not biting. Twist it how you want, phrase it this way or that way, massage it just right so the words come out with no shade of wrong.

It ain't working.

"Those are my guys, dude," Josh Freeman says. "You want to blame someone, blame me."

This is how it has always been for Freeman, how despite life's tumultuous twists and turns, things never come unhinged because he believes the foundation of who and what you are is stronger than anything anyone can throw your way. When the insulation everyone searches for in times of adversity can't hide the cold, hard reality of the guy looking back in the mirror.

You want to hold someone accountable? You're looking at him.

The book on Josh Freeman is he never did enough to elevate his Kansas State team the past three seasons, that he couldn't consistently harness his freakish physical ability and talent to get the Wildcats to compete with the Big 12's elite. Why then, would anyone in the NFL take a chance on a quarterback who looks the part but doesn't always play it?

"The reality is," says former Kansas State coach Ron Prince, "we didn't give Josh a lot of help."

And there you have it. The one thing Freeman will never admit, the one thing he'll never use as a crutch or hide behind, is the one thing that defined his three years in college--and this confounding yet critical pre-NFL draft dissection.

Talk to NFL personnel and the evaluations of Freeman range from franchise quarterback to potential bust. From a quarterback who has everything you want to a project you can't afford. From Ben Roethlisberger to JaMarcus Russell--and everywhere between.

"When he tests at the Combine," one AFC general manager said last month, "there will be a ton of converts."

So there was Josh Freeman , every bit of 6-5 3/4, a rock-solid 248 pounds and less than 10 percent body fat, standing in front of all those scouts at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis a few weeks ago. They should have thrown a tent over the interview room and sung the revival praises.

Here's a guy who, despite a mediocre touchdown-to-interception ratio (44-to-34) and a 14-1 8 record as a starter at K-State, could make someone look really smart come draft day. There's no one like him in the league--no one with his combination of size, athleticism , arm strength and mobility.

And no one in the draft is surrounded by so many questions. What you see in workouts doesn't always jibe with the results you get on the field.

"Whoever gets him is going to get much more than they thought," says Terry Shea, a former NFL quarterbacks coach and ex-Rutgers head coach who has been training with Freeman since January. "You can't put him in this mold or that mold and say this is who he's like. That's a big mistake."

NFL scouts are big on comparisons, finding like players and matching up specific positives and negatives and covering every angle just in case an evaluation doesn't pan out. The latest on Freeman: He's Russell, the guy who was selected first overall in the 2007 draft but so far hasn't merited the pick.

But can you blame the Raiders for taking Russell? He was the consensus No. 1 of most scouts--a big, physical quarterback with a strong arm and a winning pedigree at LSU. It's not a mistake if everyone would've picked him, right?

So after blowing away scouts at the Combine, after second impressions led to first-round thoughts, Freeman, even though he isn't being talked about as a potential first pick overall, is being compared to Russell. Like it or not.

"I don't see it," Freeman says. "He's a big guy and he's black. That's it."

This is what Prince tried to avoid for three years in Manhattan, what he drilled into Freeman from the day he stepped on campus at Kansas State: He's not the stereotypical black quarterback.

He's a thrower; he's Roethlisberger, not Russell. Don't let anyone tell you different , and don't change who or what you are because someone tells you otherwise.

"Too many times people see a black quarterback and think, well, he runs first and throws second," Freeman says.

Or worse yet, wonder why he plays the position at all .

"I had a coach come up to me after the game, and he looked at me and said, 'My God, what a great quarterback.' " Prince says. "Then he tells me, 'I probably would've played him at defensive end.' I've always told Josh to understand people draw conclusions by how they perceive you."

Freeman stands by his teammates at Kansas State, the same guys who could do little to help him--but who needed Freeman to carry the weight and the load of unreal expectations.

Freeman was one of the nation's top prep quarterbacks at Grandview High in suburban Kansas City, a player all the big boys wanted. He grew up watching Nebraska and fell in love with the Huskers when Tommie Frazier carried 40-something Florida players on his back during the unforgettable 75-yard touchdown run that helped Nebraska win the 1995 national championship.
    The Jets are looking at Josh Freeman.

For that reason -- and that reason only -- Freeman committed to the Huskers before his senior season. Then Prince got the job at Kansas State, and before he hired his first assistant, before he unpacked in Manhattan, he was in Kansas City recruiting Freeman to help save what suddenly had become a stale program.

K-State was three years removed from winning the Big 12 but had just completed a two-year stretch of last-place finishes in the North Division. Passionate K-State fans had champagne taste and a beer budget: championship dreams and a roster devoid of talent.

It's not only that Freeman stepped into this as the 18-year-old who was expected to change everything. But he had to hear then-Nebraska coach Bill Callahan publicly call him a prima donna, words that resonated throughout the Big 12 and put more pressure on a true freshman and his first-year coach to perform.

In three seasons at K-State, Prince was 17-20. He was fired last November with three games remaining in the season. It's almost as if K-State officials forgot that former coach Bill Snyder's final two seasons were pitiful. Yet the prevailing theme around the Big 12 was that Freeman underachieved and took down Prince, whose tenure was tied to his megarecruit, with him.

Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Chase Daniel and Graham Harrell--quarterbacks who weren't rated as highly as Freeman in high school--raised the stature of the Big 12 the past three years, but Freeman was seen as a guy who never did enough to pull K-State from the depths of the league.

Forget the fact this team was in such a rebuilding mode that Prince was forced to use Freeman as his No. 1 option in the running game last fall--and he scored 14 touchdowns.

"If I'm drafting, I'd almost rather see a guy in a bad situation than a good situation," says former NFL quarterback and K-State alum Lynn Dickey. "Sam Bradford and Graham Harrell, that's not the real world. Anyone can stand back there for 6 seconds--a lot of guys look good in those situations. They're in for a huge surprise when they get to pro ball. You surround me with 21 really good players, you have a good chance to win. If you go someplace where there's a crap defense and no running game, you're not going to be very good. Neither is Joe Montana."

Look at the quarterbacks projected to be picked ahead of Freeman in the draft: Georgia's Matthew Stafford and USC's Mark Sanchez -- players on teams among the elite in the nation who walked into ready-made situations and performed at a high level.

The obvious question is how would either have performed in Freeman's spot at K-State? Because away from the field, where NFL scouts make hay by breaking down mechanics and arm strength and athletic ability and durability, no one tests like Freeman.

In three seasons, he never missed a practice or a game because of injury. In an era when most college quarterbacks look to the sideline for adjustment signals, Freeman called plays and audibles and ran the offense.

"Oftentimes, you find yourself saying, 'Well, here's an athlete playing quarterback,' " Shea says. "In Josh's case, he's a quarterback playing quarterback who happens to be an athlete. That's the subtle difference between Josh and someone else."

Days after Freeman made the choice to forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft, his dad asked him the one question that hung over his college career like the gray blanket covering the Kansas plains in the winter: What would've happened had he gone somewhere else?

That could've been Freeman on the field for Oklahoma in the national championship game; the Sooners badly wanted him. Heck, it could've been him on the stage in New York City accepting the Heisman Trophy.

"He didn't even hesitate," Ron Freeman says. "He said Kansas State was the perfect place for him."

Of course it was. Because with Freeman, it's all positive, never Negative -- even if choosing K-State has led to the questions that now surround him.

In November, a Kansas fan somehow got Freeman's cell phone number, and after the Jayhawks beat the Wildcats, Freeman had more than 500 missed calls and text messages on his phone. And not all from Kansas fans.

"My dad taught me when you get hit, you've got to get up," Freeman says. "It shows an element of toughness, a deep level of what kind of person you are. It's inevitable that you'll face adversity. It's how you respond."

You want to hold someone accountable? Look in the mirror.

It's where growth -- and eventually, Success -- begins and ends.

10. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Yeah, like Jaws saying that we got the best QB in the draft after taking Kellen. It's all hype, who freakin' knows how these guys will relate in the NFL...

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

What the hell is that?

12. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I'm warming up a bit to the idea of taking Freeman. He seems like a smart enough kid and it just seems like he's had no good guidance or supporting staff these past four years. Hopefully with some decent coaching and time, he'll turn into something.

To me he seems a lot like Jamarcus Russell coming out, but with a good head on his shoulders, a bit less of an arm, and a less impressive college resume. However, I think the key difference is his head, which I think could be his saving grace.