Jets to work out J. Freeman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Well, start getting ready because if either he or Sanchez are there and the Jets like either of the QB's workouts they will take them. I think a lot will depend on what they see in the private workouts.

#41 Long Time Jet Fan, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Why not let the people who get paid to scout these players(professionally of course) form an opinion first before we start saying anyone sucks. By the way they can be wrong too.

3. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

Dave Hutchinson: "As I've said, I think the Jets are fully prepared to go with either Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff at quarterback, but if Freeman falls to them at 17th overall it's unlikely they'll pass him up."

Thats a joke, right? If he FALLS to us? Thats a reach, not a fall...

4. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

O.K. I was listening To NFL radio today while cleaning my car. Gil Brandt was on talking about Freeman. Say what you want about Brandt and his age, but he still has great connections and is respected in the league. He has just about nailed every draft I've seen, the day before the draft goes off. I usually listen to him on Draft Day and he is unbelievable. He got 3-4 wrong last year. Talking to Gary Myers, he said Freeman will go top 10. He also said one of the other 2 is dropping, but wouldn't say who. Myers and the cohost made him repeat it, they were so shocked. He killed at his pro day. Also remember the Tampa Bay coach had him in college and is supposedly itching to get his hands on him.

5. Gunther

Gunther Member

Hmmm
    Very Interesting

6. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

How exactly is this going to happen though? Theres not a huge need for QB amongst the top 10. Freeman would have to go ahead of Sanchez barring multiple trade ups to go top 10.

edit: nevermind, you said 1 of the 2 is dropping...

#46 J-Kay, Mar 15, 2009
  7. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

If we draft Freeman, we can't pick on Jeaux about Russell anymore...

8. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29668287/

just came out today. Apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't beleive that Clemens is the answer. Also it says in the page that Sanchez is now above Staddford so I guess that's what the guy was talking about how the 1 and 2 changed. Lets go Freeman!!

9. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

I'm willing to take Stafford sure.

No to Sanchez.
    No to Freeman.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Why "sure" to Stafford?

Why "no" to Sanchez?

Why "no" to Freeman?

...try to show us that you know what you're talking about.

11. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

From what I've seen, Stafford has the highest upside of the three, is the most NFL ready, and has the least bust potential.

12. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

I will end myself if we draft Freeman

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Most NFL ready? Why, because he was a three year starter -- only productive for two and a half of those three seasons? Stafford forces a ton of throws. Freshman wideout AJ Green bailed him out at least once a game...

Against weak, non-conference opponents, Stafford threw 13 TDs and just 2 INTs -- but against the SEC, which is the best conference in college football, Stafford went 12 TDs to 8 INTs...no exactly a nice ratio.

I saw him play against Carolina in person - he struggled terribly against the Gamecocks. If it wasn't for USC's god-awful QB play, UGA would've been blown out. Instead they won 14-7 because of stellar defense and Knowshon Moreno.

He can't put a team on his back and lead them to victory.

Matt Stafford has a gun for an arm, but he doesn't offer much upside as a pro-passer.

...reminds me of Jeff George.

Mark Sanchez is the only one of the QBs in 2009 that I see becoming a franchise passer. Sure, he's only started 16 games at the college level - less than half as many games as Stafford and Freeman. USC is basically a pro-team...tons of talent, coaches with NFL experience, and most importantly a pro-style offense. Sanchez went 14-2 as a starter. Someone will try to tell me that he's surrounded by the best players in the country, that's why he wins games -- wrong. Sanchez is at USC because he is the best in the country. The way I look at it is like this: the receivers he plays with are lucky to have Sanchez throwing them the ball. No one can tell me that he's not the best quarterback prospect in this draft.

A part of me wants to see Josh Freeman play with a good supporting cast - he's been surrounded by JUCOs and garbage at K-State. His decision making just scares me...

14. I think Freeman is alot better than he is getting credit for on this board. The comments i'm reading remind me an awful lot of what people were saying about Cutler on here back in 06.

The fact is the guy put up some very impressive numbers w/ basically nothing around him. When you add in the physical skills he possesses and the fact that many have spoken very highly of his leadership/character..surely there is something to the first round talk swirling around this guy.

The seemingly "Perfect" QB prospect many of you have been seeking for this franchise simply doesn't exist. When you see a number of positive traits, and you've had the void at QB that weve had post Namath, you HAVE to take a chance on someone at the position.

Freeman again, has performed well statistically w/ little around him, has well documented positive leadership/character, has above average athleticism, a huge arm and elite size. Are those traits not worth taking a chance on??

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I actually like the Jay Cutler comparison - it's much better than comparing him to Joe Flacco.

Cutler was surrounded with awful talent at Vandy, just like Freeman was at K-State.

Neither won many games at the college level.

Both have very strong arms.

From a previous thread -- I said this around mid-December...I actually rank Josh Freeman above Matt Stafford now, but he's still below Mark Sanchez:

This is for everyone that's thinking about using Freeman's stats as a reason to draft him. I'm not big on stats at the college level - too many different systems.

Once again, I really, really like the Jay Cutler comparison. I don't know if Freeman is as smart as Cutler, but I can definitely see similarities at the college level.

Freeman is almost like a mix between Daunte Culpepper and Jay Cutler.

#55 Mr Electric, Mar 15, 2009
  16. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

i agree with the two above threads...Let's not forget Stafford is the guy that at one point had a number one preseason ranked team, and was suppose to lead that team, and failed miserably. He had an abundance of talent around him and came up short.

The only thing I like about Stafford that is worth praising about, is his knowledge of the game and how much time he spends trying to get better, and working on technique and his flaws. I heard every GM that has sat down with him, has been impressed with how much knowledge he knows about how to prepare in the next level, and the x's and o's.

I'm not sold on any quarterback this year, but I'm tired of the hype around Stafford, and everyone hating on Freeman. The kid was one of the best high school quarterbacks in the country and his progression and development got destroyed by the changing of styles and coaching at K-State.

#56 Jet21, Mar 15, 2009
  17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Mark Richt is not really a good coach. Of course, his Georgia team will win up to a point- they simply have too many talented players. His teams struggle in big games, though.
    Stafford has top tools, so I don't think we should put too much stock in how successful his team was last year.

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

im pulling for one of the three currently on our roster. specifically clemens, i even liked him coming out of Orgeon, im ready to see what we actually have. no matter if Clemens, Ratliff, Ainge. but as stated I think Clemens needs a fair shot.

worst case scenario we build on what we have now and the qb class next year will definitely be at least just as good if not better.

furthermore itll prove if schottenheimer jr is worth keeping. this year, hes on qb 3 as a OC and Clemens is the perfect candidate to see what kind of decision this organization actually made not just in drafting clemens, but in keeping schottenheimer under a new regime. hes definitely had the time in the system, and he never had the true opportunity to prove anything other than 2 of the OL he played behind in 7 starts are no longer in the league.

19. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

That is a good comp. Both have questionable decision making, but unlimited physical ability.

Every interview I've seen with Freeman, I've come off thinking of him as a smart kid.

Not sure where I saw this, but I like the Brady Quinn comp for Sanchez. I like Brady Quinn a lot. Neither has rocket arms, but they use their athleticism very well and can make all the throws.

I'd be thrilled with either Sanchez or Freeman. Not the biggest Stafford fan. His inconsistencies worry me much more than Freeman's because of the talent around him. If Freeman had a better line, a RB like Moreno, and a WR like Massaqoui, he would've had much better numbers.

I hope Stafford goes to Detroit at 1 or SF at 10 because I really want us to grab Sanchez or Freeman at 17.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

the poster I was responding to called him at best Jeff Garcia, I explained why he that is a good thing not a bad thing.

I'm on the Sanchez bandwagon because when it comes to whats in his head he's the most NFL ready... its his game experience that needs work.

#60 NDmick, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009