Enough with all of this "Jets Defense lacks any type of pass rush" already...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TampaBayJetsFan85, Mar 12, 2009.

1. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Its not about how many sacks a year you get is how consistently you apply pressure through out the year.

We had good pressure on QBs early in the year but trailed off HORRIBLY towards the end. If you can't consistently apply pressure you are going to lose when it counts the most and will be watching the playoffs from the couch.

Looking at yearly stats to determine how successful our defensive pressure was is ridiculous.

Did you honestly feel that we pressured the QB well in the 2nd half of the season? I certainly did not get that impression, QBs had all day to throw on us during that time.

Our players simply did not know how to blitz properly. They looked lost, watching our guys try to hit holes was laughable... they seemed to move in slow motion. Every time we sent a big blitz we got destroyed.

Rex Ryan will show these guys how to blitz, and will hopefully get something out of Gholston to help us out... but it's hard to deny that our defense as it is at this time lacks a true 3-4 pass rusher. I don't know if we have the luxury to improve that since we already have Pace, B. Thomas, and Gholston at OLBer, but if Gholston isn't going to produce then something will have to be done.

The NYJ D from last year is in fact one of the best examples of how the numbers DO lie.

#21 StreetFighterJet, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Get rid of BT

3. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Who would take him?! :( I assume we'd still get bent over cap wise if we releaed him... and the problem is that he still shows a spark every now and again, just enough to keep the guy around... I assume that Rex will get on his arse if he starts screwing up again.

4. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

wow, it's like you read my fuckin mind, fuck sacks, I don't care if we get the least sacks in the league, its about the actual pressure!!!!!

5. jsf_f35

jsf_f35 New Member

Good post!

6. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

After denver exploited the Jets secondary and LB core with all those quick passes. It was easy for the rest of the teams we played to follow suit. The secondary will be vastly improved as well as LB's. For this single reason I believe teh Jets will get huge amounts of pressure on opposing QB's next season.

7. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

Denvers O-line did manhandle our D-line and the LB's, our secondary was weak, but it looks worse when the DB's are trying to cover a WR for 8 seconds, that must be a pain in the ass!

8. #4kicksA$$

#4kicksA$$ New Member

Your right it wasn't just the pass rush that sucked,but the whole damn defense.

9. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I watched this game a few days back. Denver had a couple good plays a ridiculous break with the Cotch fumble, but all in all they really didn't 'manhandle' us. It was almost all in the secondary and some bad matchups with linemen that let a couple big plays out. Elam killed us. Leaving Stockley wide open then couldn't make an easy sideline push to stop him from walking 36 yards into the endzone.. Jesus what a bum.

As far as LBs, Barton actually played great and stopped some big plays; Bowens played so-so. IMO LBs will only be 'vastly improved' because Harris will be back (knock on wood). Scott will be an improvement, but I doubt he's going to be the huge difference-maker everyone seems to think. We were already solid at ILB; OLB is more what I'm concerned about.

#29 GBA, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

everyone ALWAYS fails to mention the 3 man rush lol not that this makes a difference