getting very depressed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by section134, Mar 8, 2009.

1. DMSMaven

DMSMaven Member

Yeah .... In his prime Ricky WAS better than TJ is now .... Too bad his prime was many moons ago and about a ton of Ganja .... Ronnie Brown .... Must have missed when he became an elite NFL RB .... Has he led the AFC in rushing ??? Does ANYONE think he EVER will ???

2. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Doesn't Parcells have a pretty good track record of taking a step back in year 2?... I'm not looking it up but, that's how I remember it and last year's Miami schedule just unfolded perfectly and as we know that last game vs the Jets was a Gift - Lets see a Rex Ryan defense sit back and let Chad Freaking Pennington beat them.....

Honestly, Chad finishing a season healthy was a minor miracle - I think we'll see some Henne next year. Miami is also mixing up the Ol a bit and their new Center Grove has mixed reviews - He's undersized - Meet Mr. Jenkins!!!!!

The schedule this year is a ton tougher... Much better defenses for Chad as well - Now, that doesn't bode well for the jets either but, I don't think the Jets took advantage of the easy schedule as much last year with Mangini's Pass Vs horrible Run Defenses like Oakland theories....

I think the Jets are going to get better due to more logical Offensive game plans, more smash mouth and the shackles off Schottenheimer with more Leon and Keller While the defense make big strides and ATTACKS....

Miami pretty much maxed out last year on coaching and getting things their way....

I can't wait to play Vs Chad again With Rex on our side and Bart Scott looking to induce PAIN!!!!!!

Chad Vs a Mangini Defense was a match in heaven for Chad - The last thing you want to do is sit back, read and react and give this guy another second... SMASH him... Bring it on...

And if anyone is "Depressed" about this Jets team and Rex Ryan and what he brings, just end it now and move on to baseball or Cricket or something... This is the most EXCITED I've been probably EVER including 30 years as a fan even with Parcells.

Depressed - Wahhhhh, sounds like my baby... Maybe you should cry it out..

Gotta be freaking kidding me with the depression crap... New to being a JETS FAN??????

THIS IS THE GOOD TIMES BUDDY!!!!!!!!

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I really don't think Chad is going to be the Miami QB next season, at least not with a lockgrip on the job. Parcells is not stupid and he knows Chad's history in the penultimate game at this point. He's only going to stay with Chad if he thinks he's likely to have a superior team on the field to the guys he has to face off against at the end of the season and he's not going to have that.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I'm not sure that we have improved the D that much? Litto Sheppard is a big ? and I haven't seen enough of Scott to say he is miles better than Barton and I don't see the safety we got a major move. If the D comes together and Ryan scheme is much better I suspect we could be alot better. I'm just not sure we have really upgraded personal wise until we see Sheppard and Scott actually perform?

I also believe Parcells will improve Miami's D.

It's one of those things we could be much better but Barton was a good player and Sheppard played himself off the Eagles.

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Chad had a bad game against a great D that stopped pretty much everyone, but it wasn't due to his arm strength. If you watched him over 16 games, including against us in the wind in Week 17, you saw that his arm is fine--which was my point. It's not a cannon, never was, but accurate anough to get the job done, especially on a team that can run the way they do.

#145 Italian Seafood, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  6. Italian Seafood

I don't think so. Year two with us we went 12-4 and to the AFC Championship game, year two in New England they went to the playoffs and I think won a game, year two with the Giants, if you want to go back that far, they also made the playoffs and went 10-6. All of those were two years removed from awful teams, with the Giants it was one year removed. I forget what Dallas did the second year he was there, I'm sure someone will remember. He had Vinny playing at 40+, that's about all I remember.

7. winstonbiggs

That's the key his arm is adequate until the running game is stopped.

8. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I think opposing defenses will throw 8 in the box against the Phins and make Chad throw and we all know how that story ends. The problem is I think Parcells and co are smart enough to have Henne or some secret weapon Groomed and Ready to take over in the event Chad has to be benched. Brown and Williams are a better Rb duo than we have but we have a better line than Miami which gives the illusion that we have a better running game. We will have to wait and see regarding the Defense. Until we upgrade our pass rush Miami still gets the slight edge. Miami has the problem of not being able to sneak up on anybody next year.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I'm not saying I am expecting big things from Lito, but my understanding is the Eagles were changing up their D and he didn't fit in where they wanted to go. It remains to be seen whether he does much here, though. But I don't think what happened in Philly is proof he's done.

You also did not mention Leonhard. I think safety needed help, and he should be a help.

Back to CB, I think the Jets need one more player there. Maybe from the draft...

10. FOURTHANDLONG

With Brady coming back and Cassal being traded I think our first or second pick in this years draft should be a Cb or DE.

11. Italian Seafood

The same can be said for most QBs in the league, let me see how many succeed with no running game. Chad actually did that for us in 2006 because he knows how to play football and move his team. That's why if he's heathy I give them 10 wins, easily. He's proven that much in his career, about four times now with two different teams. At what point is it no longer a coincidence?

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Add in wideout and there's three big holes to be filled with only two picks in the top two rounds. Ugh.

13. Italian Seafood

You want another corner? I'd say we're good in the secondary, but we could always use help with a pass rush--that covers a lot of flaws.

Regarding QB and WR, maybe they like who they have. At one point in time Ken O'Brien and Al Toon were both unporven young players, but they were given a chance and became a great combo. Same with Richard Todd and Wesley Walker before them. Granted that was a long time ago and you had less options, therefore gave your own guys more of a chance, but maybe that will be the case again with the guys we have.

14. winstonbiggs

It's 3 times that he has actually been healthy and taken the team to 10 wins. He was outright awful in the playoffs in both 06 and last year.

15. Italian Seafood

He wasn't that bad in 06 or in 04 when he played hurt. Then again, you think Tom Brady "choked" in the Super Bowl vs the Giants, so we're grading on a different scale. Eleven of the best 12 QBs lose in the post season every year.

Also, if you want to split hairs, I'm counting 2002 when the team went 9-7 and won a playoff game, although one of the wins was with Vinny. So that's four seasons he's led teams to the playoffs, two AFC East titles.

16. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I think Lito Shepard has, if nothing else, an experience edge over Dwight Lowery. Improvement there, IMO.

I see Bart Scott being at least a slight improvement over Barton (if not a significant one), and the addition of Leonhard is a plus. Harris will be healthy and Rhodes will want to re-emerge and showcase his talent (and be pushed by Leonhard) after his somewhat lackluster performance last year. These are all guys in their prime, mind you (25-28), all aggressive ball hawks and all young but with experience under their belts. They should gell well because of that.

But I also see Ryan insisting on much more aggressive, smash-mouth, ball-hawk football and I think Kris Jenkins will feed off this and get his second (or third) wind this year as he sees the rest of the DEF stepping up and taking advantage of his double-teams and seeing results for all his hard work in the trench. I expect VG to step up also. You can't say enough for getting better use out of all of your personnel, Gholston included, and Ryan seems like the kind of guy that will demand only the best, unlike Mangini who was more concerned about cockamamie keywords and relatively meaningless organizational buzzwords like "Consisency" and the "Three Phases," as if that alone were enough to get the D fired up and clicking as one.

Yes, none of this is a proven factor yet and our record is what it was last season, but I think this is going to be a DEF to rekoned with, especially for Chad, who never fared well against aggressive, blitzing, pocket-disrupting defenses.

My opinion is, the Chad-nese Firedrill returns and Parcells is faced with some difficult QB decisions mid-way through the season. If we can shut down Miami's run (and even if we don't sometimes... just getting to Chad and knocking him around occasionally) brings excellent results for any defense, as we all remember oh so well.

17. FOURTHANDLONG

Wr is a huge need but I think a great wideout can be found in the first three to four rounds. Cb's and pass rushers are harder to find especially in the later rounds.

18. FOURTHANDLONG

Qb and Wr are still huge what if's but I think Ryan will let us see what we have this year. I do believe a Wr should be taken no later than the 4th rd. Im hopeful that Lito Sheppard still has something left but with Receivers that Buffalo and Ne have now I would rather be safe than sorry at the Cb position. If Rex decides to take any combo of Wr, Cb or De with our first few picks I will not be mad. I will be a little concerned if he went Rb like alot of the draft gurus are predicting with the first pick though.

19. winstonbiggs

Brady choked against the Giants but he has a track record of lifting his game in the playoffs, Chad has a track record of failure in the playoffs. Chad's best season was in 02 and that was his outright NFL peak. He lead us to the playoffs 2 years 02 and 06, he won 8 games in 04 Quincy stepped in and was 2 and 1 that year with the same team. He has played two complete seasons in the NFL and played badly in the one playoff game each time.

20. Italian Seafood

You realize Brady led his team to the go-ahead score in the final minutes of that Super Bowl, right? It's not his fault that the defense didn't stop the Giants or Tyree made a miracle catch after the D-line couldn't grasp Eli. Brady was also inches from hitting Moss with a 90-yard bomb AFTER Plaxico's last TD, that's not choking at all. That's what I mean, we see it much differently, just because the team lost doesn't automatically mean the QB choked.

Regarding Chad, he led us to the playoffs three times. Yes, Quincy played three games, two against the two worst teams in the league, that doesn't discount Chad leading us to a 5-0 start before getting hurt or Chad leading us over SD on the road in the playoffs while hurt. You keep looking for little loopholes to try and get around the fact that if he's healthy, he's good for roughly 10 wins (maybe 9, maybe 11), and probably the playoffs.