WFAN radio reporting that when Torry Holt gets realeased the Jets will sign him

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vilmalover51, Mar 10, 2009.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

At the moment, I really think I would be fine with the following WR core.

Holt
    Cotchery
    Stuckey
    Clowney
    Someone from the draft

Our run game should be the focus point of our offense.

2. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

I think Holt would be a solid pick-up. I am not expecting a 1000 yard season out of him, but he has been around long enough to know how to exploit defenses. He should make a bunch of key plays over the course of the season for us if he comes here.

3. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2009/03/jets-have-no-interest-in-holt.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2009/03/jets-have-no-interest-in-holt.html

Jets have no interest in Holt

March 10, 2009

No T.O.

No T.H.

The Jets passed on Terrell Owens and they're passing on Torry Holt as well. With rampant speculation about a possible Holt-to-the-Jets move, I did some additional digging and learned the Jets have zero interest in the Rams' soon-to-be-jettisoned wide receiver. None. Zip. Nada.

Oh, well, so much for that possibility. Holt-to-the-Jets seemed to make some sense, and I totally endorsed it yesterday in a blog post. After all, the Jets need another veteran receiver (just my opinion) and their new receivers' coach, Henry Ellard, used to be Holt's longtime position coach in St. Louis.

The ideal marriage? Well, there apparently is an issue with Holt's durability, going forward. He has been an incredibly durable player in his career - only two missed games in 10 years - but there's some concern about his knees.

I don't know. I think he could help the Jets, but what do I know?

This will be the second Hall of Fame-caliber receiver the Jets have ignored, and I'm guessing they're not interested in Marvin Harrison, either. They stayed away from T.O. for obvious reasons, which means they're looking at a receiving corps of Jerricho Cotchery and a lot of question marks. The braintrust apparently feels it can fill the need by taking a receiver in the first or second round of the draft.

#183 BadgerOnLSD, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. allan1

allan1 Active Member

Let's not get too excited here, Holt is still solid but clearly on the downside of his career. He's still decent and has good hands but I wouldn't expect more than 70 catches or so.

It's still better than what we prob would've gotten with an injury plagued Coles.

5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

over 2 years?

Last year the defense couldn't get off the field so he didn't have much opportunity. The o-line is terrible...just terrible, and Bulger was worse than our QB will be this year.

Still he finished the year strong and had 800 yards. I know not amazing.

The 2 previous years he had 1,188 and 1,189 for 17 combined TD's. Oh yes JFW, that is totally way over the hill. I wouldn't want that. Come on bro, that's better than we've had in a long long time.

So if that's considered over the hill (in a league where WR's stay very very productive until around 36 or 37) then sign me the hell up asap!

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Look, I know Torry Holt isn't on the same level as Jerry Rice -- but Rice was supposedly on the downside of his career when he joined the Raiders.

He put together two very, very solid seasons there...

7. week17magic

week17magic New Member

this means we're paving a way for a QB in the draft

8. week17magic

week17magic New Member

i totally agree, it is a very solid receiving core. In fact, I would go as far to say that Cotchery would be the number one receiver because of his abilities to make big plays whereas Holt is more of a possession receiver who can make the big catch for a first down/touchdown (meaning he wouldnt draw as much attention as a second WR)

9. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Holt would have been a nice pickup. He's light years over any WR the site likes to overrate on the team now. But it looks like it's not gonna happen and most on the site get to be happy and overrate a couple marginal guys over a hall of famer.

10. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Ratliff looked good in pre-season. That is also the NFL is it not? I didn't see anything to think that this guy can't play in the regular season. Is he not worth a shot? I mean, any QB that's going to be drafted has not thrown an NFL pass... how are these guys ever going to get a shot? Should we just grab a vet every time?... I assume you were happy with B. Favre? Look how that turned out.

11. pg828

pg828 New Member

Ratliff?? C'mon dude, preseason is like college-plus...it don't mean nothin'...you'll be wishing for Favre by the time the season is over

12. e-x

e-x New Member

i don't think ratliff ever faced the 1st string defense, and only briefly saw a 2nd string defense

plus pre-season is a slower pace than regular season

13. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Yeah, I'll rue the day I said I didn't want a washed up player with a bloated salary. Who needs free agents anyway?

14. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

And who knows what you'll get come bad weather? He's a dome guy.

15. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

You can't do that tho, they will stack the box with 8, maybe 9 defenders and make life for Clemens/Ratliff HELL. We need another quality wide receiver or else our defense will be worn out by week 8.

We might have good receivers but outside of Cotchery, our receivers haven't proven anything. Stuckey made some plays last year as a third WR, Clowney showed flashes of brilliance in preseason but that's really it. That won't get it done. Granted, a rookie hasn't proven anything either, but with Nicks, Britt or Maclin on this team our offense will look a whole lot better. At least a defense can somewhat respect our vertical game

#195 ace_o_spades, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  16. NY Sack Exchange7

NY Sack Exchange7 New Member

Holt is the kind of Player Bill finds up in New England that always seems to work out fine. When we try this aproach though, it always seems to backfire! Let the kids play, we arent winning anything.

17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

isnt tory holt 3 or 4 years younger than terrell owens? yeah im pretty sure he was born in 76 and owens was born in 72...

i would sign him in a heartbeat he has been and i believe will continue to be a very productive receiver.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I agree. I'm just speculating on the mindset of our CS. I really think they feel they can be successful scoring few points and controlling the clock. If that's the case, they'd better get going on a REALLY good punter..

19. StreetFighterJet

He still has to make the throws and hit the WRs in stride, etc..etc... Isn't that what its all about?

And once again, how are we supposed to find out if this guy has anything if we don't give him a shot?!

What if the Pats never gave T. Brady a shot?

20. StreetFighterJet

Yeah no kidding... what have our WR expectations come to be when 80+ receptions for over 1,100 yards is considered over the hill.