WFAN radio reporting that when Torry Holt gets realeased the Jets will sign him

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vilmalover51, Mar 10, 2009.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've heard also about the Ravens and the Cowboys. I think he will end up being traded somewhere. There has to be a team that doesn't want to bid too high for him at this point in FA. I think Tradenbaum will try to make a move.

2. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

It's all about filling needs so during the draft you can go BPA and that's exactly what this does is gives us another starting quality wide receiver.

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If you didn't notice yet: most people on this board are OBSESSED with has-been, washed-up, over-the-hill veterans. Torry Holt is but one example. Hell, some even claimed Jets should have gone for T.O for all I can tell you. *To me, that's a classic example of retard.*

4. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

Hell yes, exactly what I was going to post. If the contract is good for Holt I'm all for it! We need to work on that DL big time!!!!:breakdance::breakdance::breakdance:

5. GreenMachine

Several teams could have interest in wide receiver Torry Holt, including the New York Jets, the Baltimore Ravens and the Tennessee Titans.

The Jets' interest in Holt would come as no surprise since their wide receivers coach is Henry Ellard, who spent the last eight seasons coaching the Rams' wide receivers.

Holt, who will turn 33 on June 5, is due a $1.25 million roster bonus March 17.

The Rams would like to trade Holt, who currently counts $10.2 million on the team's salary cap for 2009, but they could end up releasing him.

6. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

I am all for this move at the right price.

Holt is still very disciplined and runs near-perfect routes.

How can you damn a guy for catching 64 passes from Marc Bulger who was running for his life and was sacked 38 times. Donnie Avery's presence also can't be ignored as he added 53 receptions. Additionally, S. Jackson had 45 catches out of the backfield.

Let's take a deeper look at the numbers.

Percentage wise, Holt caught 22% of the Rams completed passes last year, up from 16% in 2007 and down from 25% in 2006 and down from 26% in 2005.

When analyzing the 2008 downturn, you need to consider that the Rams didn't complete nearly as many passes last year as years prior, but Holt was involved in a higher percentage of completions as 2007 while keeping his Y/A between 12.4 and 13 during the years 2005-2008.

Lots of good points in this thread, but one thing keeps coming up that I can't seem to argue with.

Holt > Coles

Holt @32 > Coles @ 31

It is an upgrade over Coles for many reasons (skill/attitude/desire to be here) and if the money is comparable, you have to consider it an upgrade and Holt a buy-low candidate.

7. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

So the numbers game begins a new then?

Guys definately on roster right now (with real potential to make team)

Cotchery
    Stuckey
    Smith
    Clowney
    Henry
    Wright

Guys who may be added in the near future

Torry Holt
    Draft pick (Nicks, Maclin, Robiskie, Crabtree, or whoever else we may take)

that gives us 8 guys who could realistically make the roster

locks imo,

Cotchery
    Wright
    Holt (if signed)

so then 5 guys fighting for three spots in

Stuckey
    Clowney
    Smith
    Henry
    Draft pick

Further guesstimation predicts the rookie makes the team if he is a high pick like you guys are clamoring for.

4 guys for two spots

Stuckey
    Clowney
    Smith
    Henry

People would burn down the Jets new complex if Clowney is cut, plus the staff seems to love the speedster

3 guys 1 spot

Stuckey
    Henry
    Smith

Stuckey is my favorite of the entire group, the guy has all the potential in the world. People compared him to Wes Welker, people have seen his ridiculous hands, I personally think he is our future in the slot. Yet Stuckey is not a ST guy. you know Westoff will fight like hell for his guy in Smith. Smith is a gunner, he is the lead guy on returns for Leon, Schotty seems to love the guys elusiveness for gadget plays. how do you choose? you guys flipped a lid about keeping the odd numbers we kept last year, you would have a heart attack seeing 7 WR.

so the ST edge goes to smith. meaning we cut stuckey who will get gobbled up imediately by someone (Miami?) and he will kick our ass for years.

I love the idea of bringing in another starter, but we just cant bring in a guy like Holt and then draft a rookie, or we will have to cut one of Stuckey/Clowney this year. nobody likes the plan. So I would much rather do one or the other, draft somebody now, or get Holt. both is overkill, and will cause us to toss aside some of our homegrown future.

8. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I was all set at seeing what the young guys can do. That being said....if he comes in at the right price then he is worth the risk.

9. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

Indeed, then the game is afoot.

10. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

Ellard go to work and push for him! We need Holt!

11. Welcome to J-Ville

Welcome to J-Ville New Member

Holt is a great character guy who is on the downside of his career but could still be very productive and beneficial. Sign Holt maybe 2 years 14 million (just my personal estimate, but what do i know..) Draft a DE 1st round (Ty Jackson?), and a WR 2nd round (Kenny Britt?) and i'd be so pumped going into next season.

12. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Okay...A GREAT route runner, excellent hands...Probably lost 2 steps but that's okay...Sounds like a plan...Oh wait who are we going to have throwing him the pigskin? Exactly.

13. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Talent wise holt is a good if not better then coles. The real differnce is coles could be a little bitch when he want to be

14. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Yes. You elaborated on what I was trying to say. Good post.

15. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Washed up? Explain to me how Holt is washed up. Older, yes, washed up, no. If T.O. weren't such a douche and locker room cancer, most teams with any $$ would have been all over him. He wasn't a bad match for the Jets because he was old or washed up, it was because he's an asshole.

#75 bojanglesman, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Wasn't talking about Holt specifically, but I'd say he's washed up by now too.

And about T.O: Are you really willing to see the drops especially in the end zone? I'm not.

17. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

The Rams have no offensive line. Without an O-line no QB can be successful in any way shape or form. The Rams had no D... without a D every offense has to play catchup which makes them one dimentional and easy to defend.

We have a good to very good O-line.
    On paper, we have a very nice defense.

18. tubby

tubby Active Member

why because he didn't make the pro bowl? I'd like to see anyone have a good season with St. Louis last year. Holt still has a few years in his tank. It wasn't so long ago where he was considered one of the best in the league. If Bulger wasn't on his ass every other play you wouldn't be saying this right now.

19. StreetFighterJet

Your right, lets not pursue any WRs because none of our QBs are capable of thorwing a football period. Wow, great thinking!

20. StreetFighterJet

You're certainly correct on T.O. but not because of his "diminishing skills" but because of his personality.

Holt however is a true class act, (think curtis martin) who can still play the game. He will be a great asset to our team, to whoever our starting QB becomes and to our younger receivers.