getting very depressed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by section134, Mar 8, 2009.

1. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

We traded to get Clemens in R2. Is that not taking a chance at the spot in the draft that you just suggested great QBs are found?

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The problem there were the fools doing the picking.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

to be fair, the Cardinals backed out of the trade for Favre. The Jets were pushing for that trade really hard, but Arizona fucked them over.

The rest is correct. This team is scared to take chances, they've always played it safe, and its gotten them where they are. They need to take a chance on a QB in the 1st round again.

Every QB taken in the 1st round for this team has gotten them into the playoffs. If we'd like to add Vinny T in there because he is from NY that's fine too. He did get the team to the conference game.

Namath, Todd, and O'Brien, and Pennington all went to the playoffs.

If history is an indication, they need to take that chance again. Sanchez may not be ready his rookie year, but neither was Pennington or O'Brien. They sat and had longevity as Jets QBs.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If he is there at 17 that means there are 16 other teams who don't think he is half the QB you think he is and at least a few of those teams need QBs as bad as the Jets do. Then you have the teams after the Jets who could trade up to get him if he were that good. I think the feeling around the league is that he is exactly what they say he is. The problem with that thinking is that at least half the teams last years were saying that Gholston didn't deserve to be a top 20 pick and we all know what the Jets did then. That probably means they will take Sanchez and regret that move too.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No, we traded down out of the top of the 2nd round and picked up Clemens well down the line on like 49. Typically the great 2nd round QB's have been people who were projected to be 1st round picks but not high picks and then they slipped some.

This is the list of all QB's picked in the first eight (by pick 40) picks of the 2nd round over the years:

2007 - Kevin Kolb, John Beck
    2001 - Drew Brees
    1992 - Matt Blundin
    1991 - Brett Favre, Browning Nagle
    1989 - Mike Elkins
    1985 - Randall Cunningham
    1984 - Boomer Esiason
    1981 - Neil Lomax
    1973 - Gary Huff, Ron Jaworski
    1972 - Pat Sullivan
    1970 - Dennis Shaw

That's six fairly good to great NFL starting QB's in that area of the draft.

Now look at all the other second round picks at QB:

2008 - Brian Brohm, Chad Henne
    2007 - Drew Stanton
    2006 - Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson
    2001 - Quincy Carter, Marques Tuiasosopo
    1999 - Shaun King
    1998 - Charlie Batch
    1997 - Jake Plummer
    1996 - Tony Banks
    1995 - Todd Collins, Kordell Stewart
    1992 - Tony Sacca
    1989 - Billie Joe Tolliver
    1986 - Jack Trudeau
    1982 - Oliver Luck, Matt Kofler
    1978 - Matt Cavanaugh, Guy Benjamin
    1977 - Glenn Carano
    1976 - Mike Kruzcek, Jeb Blount
    1973 - Gary Keithley
    1970 - Bill Cappleman

For whatever reason the second round is an absolute dead zone for QB's after pick 40 or so. My theory is that QB is such an important position that NFL teams will not let a great talent get by them much into the second round. They'll collectively sweep up that guy before he drops much, so all the obvious picks on talent alone are gone early in the second round. I'll guarantee you that Sanchez does not make it past pick 40 in this coming draft regardless of how his stock looks at any given point. Not unless he gets hurt in the interim or has a drug bust or something.

6. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I thought I read that had Clemens not been injured his last season, he would have been a late first round pick -- or had that projection. Therefore, he was graded at that talent level by knowledgeable guys like Jaws.

#106 The Uniform Bomber, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I have to admit to being a skeptic at some of your work, but these statistics are absolutely stunning. Brilliant work and a great analysis!

8. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Section134, where is your heart...?

If you are so depressed and we have 40-plus days to the draft yet, where is your heart?

If you are so convinced the NYJs don't have a chance, why do you think the FO and the CS and the NYJ roster are working every day? Should they just give up and go home?

It's hard to believe you can survive until the season starts in September.

Perhaps it would be better to change your focus a little bit -- why not watch what happens this off season? Do you think Lito Sheppard is going to dog it in OTAs?

Now, I'm sure you have read all about how Leonhard was the setup for Ed Reed to ballhawk last year? What makes you totally discount this over-achiever? Are you, slyly, trying to motivate the little guy with all of your bad-mouthing?

How about Mr. Jenkins? Don't you think he's going to man up this year? There's plenty of time (and money) to get him some DL help, too? No doubt you have read someplace that there's a good chance that Tyson Jackson will be available when 1st Round No. 17 pick rolls around on in 46 days and 17 hours, huh?

I'm sure you know that we are $13.8 million under the new, upwardly-revised salary cap as of today, right? Whether people are willing to admit it or not, Mike Tannenbaum is a true master of capology. It won't be for lack of resources that we are less active in the new few days of Free Agency than we have been so far.

Ya'll boys should stop cryin' in your beer!.

Beer is for drinking.

Beer ain't a handkerchief...!:beer:

9. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

If this team wins 4 games or less, I will let you beat me up at AppleBees.

10. NY Sack Exchange7

NY Sack Exchange7 New Member

Amen! And if that isnt good enough, I will let him beat me up at Fridays as well. I too have suffered through 39 years of this team, but we are on the right track now, and better to build for contention long term then a quick fix short turn. I will give Rex 3 years to get this right. Richard Todd wasnt all that great by the way, Matt Robinson was just as good. :beer:

11. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Dolphins will have a big fall off this year. They played way over their heads last season. The bills will be hovering around 500 as usual. Brady and the pats are of course the biggest obstacle. I tell you one thing though. It will be nice to have a pats jets game thats not about a handshake.

12. pg828

pg828 New Member

Richard Todd was a heck of a lot better than Matt Robinson...he was also better than anything they have now...for that matter, Al Woodall was better than anything the Jets have now

13. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

Thanks for the info :beer:

14. CrackTheSky

CrackTheSky New Member

Stop Being A Winer And Start Being A Winner

Nice post title right? Very corporate cheerleader like, sooooo moving on...SNAP OUT OF IT and stop worring about what everyone else is doing and start being a Jets fan. Stand up proudly, the Jets are going to be a tough aggressive team next year and its time for the Jets to serve notice to the Pats Phins Bills and the rest of the league that WERE COMING FOR YOUR HEADS! Now let me see your war face.....Get up stand up, don't give up the fight! Its time to get them balls out of storage and put em back on. All rights reserved, void where prohibited, some assembly required, batteries not included, add water makes its own gravy.

#114 CrackTheSky, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  15. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

two words about drafting in the first round
    Browning Nagle

two words about drafting in round 6
    Tom Brady

If picking a QB in round one were such a perfect science don't you think every first round QB ever picked would have been great?

For the first time in a long time I'm NOT depressed over the Jets ability to field a team. The good teams get better year after year because they have a system of winning, and good players want to play for winners. Bart Scott came to us because he thinks we can be winners. Players aren't beating down the door to play in Detroit, but they take pay cuts to play in New England.

Good teams get the luxury of picking late in the draft, they stockpile picks, they find guys who fit their systems. They don't make "sexy" picks, they find guys who will play special teams and back up roles immediately, they find the hidden gems and great spots in the late rounds.

When they bring in older veterans it's to teach, to lead, to bring in a winning mentality.

Stop looking for flashy and sexy people. This is going to be an all weather Offense, who will grind it out at the line of scrimmage. This is going to be an aggressive ball hawking Defense who is going to scare QBs into making mistakes. There's no secret. Ryan has told us what it going to be. THAT'S what it's going to be.

If a player falls to us and he fits what we're trying to do, they'll grab him. If what we NEED isn't around our spot, we'll take the best athlete who our coaches think they can develop.

But drafting isn't science - it's LUCK. And it's easier to be lucky when you don't waste money year after year on high draft picks and start over thinking everything.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Actually, I'm pretty sure we traded down in the 2nd round and then traded back up to get Clemens.

Edit:
    Round 2
    3. (35) Washington (from New York Jets) - Rocky McIntosh, LB Miami (FL)
    17. (49) N.Y. Jets (from Dallas) - Kellen Clemens, QB Oregon
    21. (53) Dallas (from Washington through NY Jets) - Anthony Fasano, TE Notre Dame

So far the winner of that 3-way trade is Miami.

#116 abyzmul, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mmm Penny over Brady & going back some years KOB over Marino

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

every Jets QB drafted in the 1st round has seen the playoffs.

go fact check

19. CrackTheSky

CrackTheSky New Member

Two more words

two words about drafting in the first round
    Browning Nagle

two words about drafting in round 6
    Tom Brady

Two more words about drafting in the first round
    Joe Namath

Two more words about drafting in round 6
    Gino Torretta

It should be about how strongly a team feels about a givin QB and if fear of past mistakes is the driving force than trouble will follow. No team should be afraid to pull that trigger IF they really believe in him.

20. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

He likes being miserable...