TE dept. : " Jets | Negotiating with Bajema " ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Mar 6, 2009.

1. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

i concur.....:up:

2. Phear

Phear New Member

again, why move him wide when he is a line backer coverage nightmare? doesn't make sense.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The point is that Keller is a mismatch for whoever covers him. He is a mismatch on linebackers because he is too fast for them, and he is a mismatch for cornerbacks because he is too big for them. Receivers rarely come with his size AND athleticism... he's a total package as a receiver.

Which leads to my point about Pettigrew, he is a complete package at the TE position, which Keller is not. The Jets want an aggressive blocking line. While any number of blocking TEs can provide that, how many can honestly double as a receiving threat at the same time? Well, I knew one... that was Chris Baker, and he's a Patriot now.

Fortunately, Pettigrew would be a massive talent upgrade over Chris Baker. I personally see good things in store for this kid and whatever team acquires him.

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

interesting thread. definitely not conventional wisdom edge but i will say you did a great job of backing up your point. and it does make sense to create very bad mismatches. i dont think it will happen but i have bought into your argument.

the fact we are talking about te right now is exactly why i was not nearly as enamored as many on this site with dustin keller. sure does help when you have a dual threat te!

5. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Agreed Mike Nugent was a wasted pick added to JETS draft day history of blunders.

6. Phear

Phear New Member

Except the fact that pettigrew isn't proven to be a dual threat. He has good hands but was not passed to often, he is slow, and as electric pointed out was incapable of scoring tds. If he was drafted by us he wouod be a blocking te. We can find that in FA which is why we will not be drafting him.

7. xxedge72x

Pettigrew would be going from a spread offense where he spent most of his time blocking, to a power rushing offense where he'd still spend most of his time blocking, but would also have the easiest receiving assignment since all of our other players will command more attention.

8. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

You're totally overrating Pettigrew as a prospect and a pass catcher.

He has 9 TD's in 47 career games.

There is no point in discussing this because it's not going to happen, the Jets will not draft Pettigrew because it's a terrible idea.

9. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

He would also get alot of help from T. Rich.
    If this happens ,I would be very happy with it.
    Keller will be lining up all over the place next season. Can't wait to see a singleback set with Washington in the backfield , and Keller going in motion....whos chucking the rock though ?

10. xxedge72x

You're underrating him.

The statistics mean nothing. College stats almost never translate to the NFL... sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse. I believe Pettigrew will translate for the better.

If statistics were all that mattered, they would determine the draft order. And by default, the 1st round picks would always be better than the 2nd round picks... the 2nd round picks always better than the 3rd... etc etc...

So, there is plenty of point in discussing it. If you'd like to step out of your box and into reality, it is a great idea and a better fit for the offense the Jets want to run than any other offensive prospect on the board.

It gives me goosebumps to think of a draft where we land Pettigrew and Shonn Greene.

11. xxedge72x

Exactly. You nailed it, as always. :grin:

Brett Ratliff baby!

12. Phear

Phear New Member

What other player are you speaking of? Cotchery won't command double coverage being our #1 now. Stuckey and clowney teams won't fear, keller will be our biggest weapon but with our now sub par receivers, teams can slide safety help to the lb covering keller. It's not like teams are going to have trouble finding someone to cover pettigrew, hell most 4-3 d linemen could keep up with him. Pettigrew doesn't make sense for us. Move on.

#52 Phear, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  13. cspkrazy

cspkrazy New Member

i also dont beleive cotchery is a good #1 reciever but i do beleive we got 2 good recievers in clowny and stuckey. i think our receiving coprs will be better than most people think

14. jsf_f35

jsf_f35 New Member

We do ned a blocking TE.