Mark Sanches vs John David Booty

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Firemangini Ed, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Raiderjoe Numbers

John David Booty
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/john-david-booty?id=2002
    http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1164&CID=779093
    6'3'' 213 lbs 4.82 40 yard dash

Mark Sanchez
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mark-sanchez?id=79858
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/columns/story?id=3926452
    6'2'' 227 lbs 4.88/4.97 40 yard dash

Junior Seasons

JD Booty (2006)
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=145168

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
    269 436 3347 61.7 7.68 62 29 9 14 144.01

Mark Sanchez (2008)
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=174154

241 366 3207 65.8 8.76 63 34 10 17 164.64

Mixed 2007 Season

JD Booty
    215 340 2361 63.2 6.94 63 23 10 12 138.01

Mark Sanchez
    69 114 695 60.5 6.10 48 7 5 4 123.22

Rose Bowls

John David Booty
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls06/bowls?game=rose
    2007 RB Offensive MVP
    Defeated Michigan 32-18
    C/ATT YDS TD INT
    27/45 391 4 0

2008 RB Offensive MVP
    http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=280010030
    Defeated Illinois 49-17
    C/ATT YDS TD INT
    25/37 255 3 1

Mark Sanchez
    2009 RB Offensive MVP
    Defeated Penn State 38-24
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/bowls?game=rose
    C/ATT YDS TD INT
    28/35 413 4 0

---

I just don't get the Mark Sanchez hype. He's not any better than JD Booty and Booty was drafted in the 5th round. The hype surrounding Sanchez is out of control. He's not anything special in terms of physical talent and his accuracy and decision making is not anything special either. His junior year stats are a little better than Booty's, but I believe that is because the team as a whole was better. In the 2007 season Booty got injured and so you can compare their stats playing with the same team. Its true that Booty was more experienced at that point and if that matters to you then disregard those numbers. I think the Leonhard lovers here only saw little Jimmie during the 08 playoffs and don't want to admit it because that will blow their sports expert image. I also think the Sanchez lovers only saw him play in the Rose Bowl and don't want to admit because they don't want to blow their cover as super duper sports experts. The Rose Bowl was Sanchez's best game ever and it was a blowout because USC was superior in every way. Booty had Rose Bowl games that were just as good. And if you look closely at the numbers and check how much offense was generated by the running game vs the passing game you will see that Booty did as well or better in that respect as well. The truth is that both Booty and Sanchez are 2-3 round players. Booty went later than that due to being underrated and Sanchez will be a 1st round pick because he has everyone on his jock.

#1 Firemangini Ed, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. JohnnyHector

JohnnyHector Member

Excellent Post! You’re right on the money. The only thing you left out is his god awful footwork. He's going to get slaughtered in the NFL. :beer:

3. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Stats are all that matters

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Haven't you figured it out yet? Half the people on this board would want the Jets to draft Ryan Leaf, Gino Torreta or Akili Smith in they were in this year's draft and I mean after knowing what they did the first time around.

5. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Booty started over Sanchez cause he was with the team longer not cause he was the better player. If they went by talent Sanchez would have started over him Sanchez was the number one player in the nation coming out of high school. Sanchez has a better arm & he just has a better skill set period. Plus he had a possible pending rape charge it would have been a publis relations nightmare if he had started once it was cleared up he was good to go.

6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

.... What?

7. JetsFanInVB

JetsFanInVB New Member

You included?

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

what Don is getting at is Arm strength and numbers.... he's right.

9. Firemangini Ed

Sanchez was never charged with rape or even with any type of crime at all. He was charged with violating USC's student code of conduct by "verbally pressuring" a woman for sex at a party, the school found no convincing evidence of guilt. No one in LA cares about the charge, if anything people think he's gay. I watched both Sanchez and Booty play, Booty had a stronger and more accurate arm.

10. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

I'm not sure about whose better. But one thing thats for sure is that JDB's USC team had more talent than Sanchez's. The O-line was not re-built this past year. Still, USC has more talent than 99.9% of the team they play, but it should be noted.

11. 624

624 Banned

Cesar Milan?

[​IMG]

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

then why is Sanchez a possible top 10 pick and booty a 5th rounder?

13. Firemangini Ed

I think its because of the loss to UCLA. The UCLA coaches said that they thought the only way to beat USC was to get to Booty and blitzed him all day. It worked and people interpreted it as Booty cracking under pressure, but UCLA would have stopped any offense in the country with the way they played that day. In his short career Sanchez never faced the kind of pass rush Booty had to face that day. After the UCLA game the public unfairly blamed Booty and suddenly he went from being Batman to being Robin. And did you notice that no Trojan opponent says they think stopping Sanchez is the key to beating USC? Other teams are more worried about the running game.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

its tough for me to think that Booty's stock dropped 2-3 rounds due to one bowl game.

Quinn's stock may have dropped 15-20 spots when he faced russell a couple of years ago, but to me its too big of a drop for JDB over that one game. I remember Booty was the game manager type who needed a lot around him in the NFL while Sanchez is seen with a little more playmaking ability, although he needs to sit for a year, maybe two.

15. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Read what I wrote I said a possible pending rape charge not a rape charge. Also I watched both Sanchez & Booty & Sanchez has a stronger arm PERIOD so I do not know what you are watching.

16. Firemangini Ed

I read what you wrote and what you wrote was WRONG. He did not have a "possible pending rape charge". The fact that you had the word possible in there doesn't save your post. Sanchez did not have a "possible pending rape charge". He was never accused of rape. You have to be accused of rape to be possibly charged with it. He was never accused of violating any local, state or federal criminal code. He was only accused of violating the student code of conduct. There was never any "possible pending rape charge".

17. Firemangini Ed

It wasn't a bowl game, it was a regular season game. That lost killed their NC hopes for the year and the media blamed the loss on Booty.

18. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

That proves his point more. No REGULAR season game is going to drop your stock that much.

19. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Firemangini Ed,

Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Todd Weddell, Mike Lombardi, Cris Carter all said this was a great trade for the Jets so I guess you know more than them about football? YEA RIGHT Booty is a NFL backup at best.

20. Firemangini Ed

Do you follow SC football? The UCLA coaches told the media that they viewed Booty as the weak link in the chain and built their whole game plan around blitzing him. The media followed the UCLA coaches lead and said the game was lost due to Booty cracking under the pressure. The truth is that UCLA played lights out on defense and could have beat almost any team in the country that day. I know, cuz I actually watched the game.