Jets have employees take 2 weeks of unpaid leave

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BadgerOnLSD, Mar 5, 2009.

1. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090305/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_jets_staff_furloughs

At least nobody got laid off.

2. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Poor Jen Sterger is out of work for two weeks. I'll give her a nice place to stay. :grin:

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It's gotta burn you up to see the company you work for sign guys to multi-million dollar contracts and then tell you to take 2 weeks unpaid leave to save the company money.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Or asking the fans to foot the bill for thie new stadium.....

Or the Yankees who spend 420 million on 3 guys then ask the city of New York for 400 million to finish their over budget stadium.

5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

it burns me up and it doesnt even affect me. its a shame really. more of a reason to not watch the nfl. im telling you the reasons are really starting to pile up.

although my company gave the big boss a 25% raise to lead us into bankruptcy.

6. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

i actually like this tho... its much better than having people get laid off, etc. it seems like we've taken an empathetic, proactive approach instead of the traditional recessional firings.

7. NYJetsFan26

NYJetsFan26 New Member

That must really suck, to know the likes of say a Alan Fanaca, or a Thomas Jones may be sitting on a beach enjoying their millions while u are out of work for 2 weeks unpaid..

8. greenthumb

greenthumb New Member

Good I hope Gholston is one of them. Be nice to get back some of that money we wasted on him.

9. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Each and every player on the roster should contribute equal $$$$ required to keep these people working. Totally uncalled for will the JETS organization lower ticket prices or items in the JETS shop to accomodate the slumping economy.

10. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

It kind of sickens me how much athletes make these days. Its almost, almost but not quite justified with football due to the toll it takes on their bodies, but take baseball players for example, its sickening. Personally Id rather have guys who make way less money who play simply for the love of the game rather than to get rich. I would not mind downgrading from superhuman athletes to just rough and tough average guys who just want to play football. I can dream.

11. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Exactly, it's better than being laid off. It sucks that you have all these kids making millions, but that's the product and that's what is keeping the doors open.

Though, I do feel the players, in a gesture of good-will, should pony up 1% a piece...or less..of their yearly salary and these people won't have to take off. Or they get to take off and get paid by the players.

If Chad were here, he'd do it. The patron saint of pretty hair.

12. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I gotta think two weeks of payroll is probably (well) under $500K. Can you imagine the PR the Jets players would get if they made up that shortfall?

(just twittered Kerry Rhodes with link)

13. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Here's my idea for reducing pro athlete salaries: make beer commercials illegal. They already outlawed cigarette ads, no reason they can't do it to beer also. That would greatly reduce the money they make from tv ads and that would filter down to everything. And alcohol consumption should really be a personal choice, the media shouldn't be pushing it on people. Its my idea and I like it.

I also think companies should not be able to write off ticket prices as a business expense. In fact, I think all "entertaining clients" stuff should not be tax deductable. I could go on for hours like this.

14. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Its better then laying people off.

15. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Is the government going to bail out chicks like Sterger who won't be able to make payments on their implants because of the economic downturn????

[​IMG]

Please President Obama, help this poor girl out!

16. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

That titty oil don't pay for itself.

17. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Exactly. And Brazilians, manicures, personal trainers, and tanning don't run cheap either.

What's a workin' girl to do??

18. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

know it sounds like BS but it's better then see you fellow employees put out of work. I work for Home Depot down IN SW FL and about June our business begin to slow down in a way, as most folks are heading back North.

So rather then lay off folks for the off season many of us agree to work 32 hour weeks for 6 to 8 weeks out of the year.

An again really not as bad as it sounds because many of use prepare by banking our sick time and holidays along with a week vacation and enjoy many 3 day weekends with our family or take a day midweek to take care of personal business or just take the boat out in the bay and not have any crowds.. An many of us still have 2 weeks of vacation left to enjoy and feel good about it as well know we did something that help the other guy..

So before you kill the Jets remember it is a business and in spite of what you might think many may be looking forward to the time off and have saved for just such a time. They also have the satisfaction of knowing that there shared sacrifice allowed others to stay employed during these hard times...

In the end this is the kind of thing we need to see more of in the country. Somehow we have lost our way in thinking it's always all about us and what is in it for us and greed is good and screw the next guy...
    While we have to remember to take care of our families first and foremost, if you lend a helping hand and still do that you will be a better American and better human being and be plus one when you get to the MAN....:beer:

19. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

Jets Ask Non-Football Employees to Take Two Weeks Unpaid Leave

I'm not sure what to make of this--its seems surreal to me that this is the way they will attempt to save money.

Jets Ask Non-Football Employees to Take Two Weeks Unpaid Leave

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=akrqtqb8W4Fc&refer=home

By Mason Levinson

March 6 (Bloomberg) -- The New York Jets are asking some employees to take two weeks of unpaid leave during the off- season to cut expenses and avoid job cuts by the National Football League team.

The team?s decision affects employees in marketing, media relations, finance and business operations, according to Matt Higgins, the team?s executive vice president of business operations. Football positions including coaching staff and players are not affected.

?Because of the seasonal nature of what we do, it provided an opportunity to save jobs and keep the team together that we put in place to help us build our new stadium,? Higgins said in a telephone interview. ?Our business, relatively speaking, is pretty strong, and we?re taking the prudent steps cutting expenses and looking at our head count, but we thought this was the right solution for us.?

In 2010, the Jets and New York Giants will move into a new $1.6 billion arena next to the current Giants Stadium that they share in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

Those Jets employees affected will take two-week leaves during a four-week period in late June and early July.

Higgins said that, for the most part, the reaction of Jets? staffers was ?pretty positive.?

?They read the papers, they see what?s happening,? he said. ?Everyone is working hard and acknowledges the economy that we?re facing. The fact that we?re working hard to avoid layoffs was appreciated.?

NFL Job Cuts

The team decided against outright firings that have occurred at the league office and on other teams because of the recession that?s pushed the U.S. unemployment rate to the highest level since 1992. The economy slipped into recession in late 2007.

In December, the NFL announced it would cut 150 employees and freeze salaries. The Washington Redskins fired at least 20 employees in January, according to the Washington Post.

The Jets did not consider asking coaches or players to join in the unpaid leave, Higgins said.

?People understand the object of the exercise in our business is to win,? Higgins said. ?Staff understands that. It was just not practical on the coaching side, the football side.?

To contact the reporter on this story: Mason Levinson in New York at mlevinson@bloomberg.net.

Last Updated: March 6, 2009 00:01 EST

20. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted