Mock Draft 2009

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Docny1975, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

1. Detroit Lions – Matthew Stafford, QB Georgia, This pick comes down to economics. The Lions either will take a LT or QB. The pick that I would love as a Lion’s fan is Aaron Curry. Curry is at the top of my board; however they cannot pay a linebacker 35-40 Million in guaranteed money. The Lions hope Stafford is the real deal, or else it could be a rough start for the new Lions regime.

2. St. Louis Rams – Michael Crabtree, WR Texas Tech, With word that Torry Holt is on his way out of St. Louis, the Rams land the second best player in the draft. Crabtree is a big time playmaker who will bring a second threat to the Rams passing game, alongside Donnie Avery.

3. Kansas City Chiefs – Aaron Curry, LB Wake Forest, The Chiefs are ecstatic to have the best player in the draft fall to them at #3. Curry was a beast at the combine, running a 4.56 in the forty and dominating other drills while there. There is a possibility he is selected #1 overall by the Lions but gives the Chiefs one of the best young defenses in the NFL.

4. Seattle Seahawks – Eugene Monroe, OT Virginia, Seattle upgraded their passing attack by adding TJ Houshmandzadeh, now decide to protect their quarterback and allow him to pass to Housh. Monroe is eventually going to take over a LT, Walter Jones, but in the meantime will be able to play RT.

5. Cleveland Browns – Brian Orakpo, DE/LB Texas, Cleveland would have loved to see Curry fall to them but will take the second best defensive player in the draft. Orakpo is a player that could be the next Terrell Suggs in a division dominated by the 3-4 defense. Only risk with Brian is the health of his knees.

6. Cincinnati Bengals – Jason Smith, OT Baylor, Cincinnati is thrilled they have the choice of three different OT. With Andre Smith’s possible weight problem, Cincy decides to take the safer of the Smiths. Jason was very impressive at the combine moving him to the second tackle selected.

7. Oakland Raiders – Andre Smith, OT Alabama, If Andre would have shown up in better shape to the Combine and would have been average at best in his interviews, he could easily have been considered the #1 overall pick. But a weight problem cost him close to $20 million in guaranteed money. Only the Raiders would be happy about a player such as Andre Smith. Let’s hope he can block for their franchise QB.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars – B.J. Raji, DT Boston College, Raji has the ability to play the NT position in a 3-4 but also can be a force in the 4-3. Jacksonville takes the BPA at 8 giving them an impressive set of DT alongside John Henderson. Every time I think of B.J. Raji now, I see in my head him out running Rich Eisin from NFL Network.

9. Green Bay Packers – Everette Brown, DE/LB Florida St, Green Bay is in a transition to the 3-4 defense. What is the best way of doing that? By selecting a prototypical 3-4 player. Brown will give the Pack a big time playmaker to add to an already stellar defense.

10. San Francisco 49ers – Michael Oher, OT Ole Miss, The last of the big time tackles go to San Fran. Oher is an intriguing prospect that has all of the physical tools to be a dominate LT. Questions about his toughness will be answered early with Coach Mike Singletary.

11. Buffalo Bills – Michael Johnson, DE Georgia Tech, Johnson is a physically gifted athlete. However, that might be his only attribute. He shows weaknesses in his game but not being very consistent. He may eventually be known as one of those Combine Stars. If he could learn to play on every down he will be a great pick at 11.

12. Denver Broncos – Rey Maualuga, LB USC, Denver is getting one heck of a beast in the middle. A great tackler, big hitter, and run stuffer will help out one of the worst defenses in the NFL last season. Although he wasn’t able to participate at the combine due to his hamstring injury, Rey will be a solid MLB and allow DJ Williams to move back outside where is more comfortable.

13. Washington Redskins – Tyson Jackson, DE LSU, Washington is probably going to be try and trade out of this position to pay a smaller amount of cap toward rookies. However, if they do keep the pick they may want to fill the void left by the release of Jason Taylor. Jackson is the best 4-3 DE in the draft and would likely support their new 100 million dollar man on the D-line.

14. New Orleans Saints – Malcolm Jenkins, DB Ohio St, Of all the players at the draft, I was most disappointed by Malcolm Jenkins. His 4.6 forty time along with his horrible showing in DB drills drops him to the middle of the first round when he could have been a top ten pick. He may be selected as a CB but I feel he will eventually be a FS with similar ball skills of Ed Reed.

15. Houston Texans – Brian Cushing, LB USC, With the best receiver in the league, Andre Johnson, Houston might be thinking about adding a second receiver to take some pressure off his shoulders. However, they see that they could be competitive next season, if their defense could be a little bit better. Taking one of the USC Linebackers is one way of improving their defense. Cushing is a player that will make the Texans LB Core fun to watch.

16. San Diego Chargers – Eben Britton, OT Arizona, With Antonio Cromartie apparently on the trade block, Corner could be a pick. However, RT could be addressed by selecting Britton. He one of the second tier OT that could be a first round pick if an OT run happens like last year.

#1 Docny1975, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

=17. New York Jets – Hakeem Nicks, WR North Carolina, New York may look at Sanchez here but decide to let Ratliff/Clemens have one year at the helm. (Changed after discussion below w/ Mr. Electric)

18. Chicago Bears – Jeremy Maclin, WR Missouri, The Bears already have a great slot receiver and returner, Devin Hester. Maclin is a raw and may not be a great route runner but Chicago needs another threat on the offensive side of the ball.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Mark Sanchez, QB USC, Most of you are saying finally the second quarterback goes. Mark Sanchez played in a pro Style offense at USC with great athletes all around him. Tampa Bay is looking to start fresh with the new regime they have and find their new signal caller.

20. Detroit Lions – James Laurinaitis, LB Ohio St, I have said numerous times that the Lions cannot draft two offensive players in the first round. Their defense was absolutely terrible last year making the team play from behind almost every game. Although, Laurinaitis isn’t the greatest tacklers in the world, his heart and mind are things that he can hang his hat on. He is also a very good coverage linebacker which is something that Jim Schwartz LB need to be able to do.

21. Philadelphia Eagles – Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR Maryland, DHB helped himself by being the fastest man at the combine. [/B], To satisfy McNabb, the Eagles decide to give their quarterback another target.

22. Minnesota Vikings – Vontae Davis, CB Illinois, He is supposed to be fast but he isn’t even the fastest person in his family. That honor goes to his brother Vernon of the 49ers. Minny is happy to improve their stellar defense even more. Vontae gives the Vikings a nickel corner currently but he will eventually become one of the starting corners.

23. New England Patriots –Aaron Maybin, DE/LB Penn St, Maybin is a 3-4 type linebacker that can come off the edge. Luckily for him he is designated as the best fit player for the best run team in professional football. Being selected by the Pats nearly guaranteed a playoff berth in his first two seasons.

24. Atlanta Falcons – Larry English, DE/LB Northern Illinois, English is a 3-4 style linebacker/lineman; however, he is selected by 4-3 scheme. He did show up to the combine at 270 which is bigger than he was in school. I think by the time he hits an NFL field he will be close
    to 285 and growing. I think he will be able in the 4-3 and be a Dwight Freeney type rusher.

25. Miami Dolphins – DJ Moore, CB Vanderbilt, With the emergence of Ted Ginn as a top notch receiver, the Dolphins will likely remove him from the return game. DJ Moore is probably the best returner in the draft and will also be able to play corner for them in a limited role as a rookie.

26. Baltimore Ravens – Alphonso Smith, CB Wake Forest, Do the Ravens even have a corner on their team anymore? Jokingly the answer is yes, but I do feel that corner is the biggest need for Baltimore. Alphonso is a 5th year senior who is a bit undersized at 5’9’’ but understands the game very well.

27. Indianapolis Colts – Peria Jerry, DT Ole Miss, Do the Colts address the need of another receiver for Peyton Manning to give them one more shot for a Championship or do they improve DT position that is average at best? Jerry is the second best DT prospect in the draft and will give them depth at a position that is probably the weakest on the team.

28. Philadelphia Eagles – Knowshon Moreno, RB Georgia, With the Eagles second pick, they look to give the offense one more weapon. A lot of the teams in the NFL are going to a 2 back system. Although Brian Westbrook is arguably the best all around back in the league, they need a second option to run the ball. Knowshon falls a little bit in the draft because of a 4.5 forty.

29. New York Giants – Kenny Britt, WR Rutgers, This pick could change to a RB, maybe Beanie Wells, if Plax is not put in prison for three years. Losing Derrick Ward would be the reason for Wells but Kenny Brit is a local kid that would take pride in playing for the G-men. He could take the place of Burress.

30. Tennessee Titans – Ziggy Hood, DT Missouri, Ziggy is the simply put as the replacement for the 100 million dollar man. Losing a pro bowl DT is tough to replace but getting the big man from Missouri is a start to that. I have been doing mocks for a couple of years now and every year I think the Titans will take a WR in the first round and every year I am wrong. This is the first year I am positive they won’t take a WR.

31. Arizona Cardinals – Alex Mack, C California, The Cards haven’t picked this low in the first round ever. This said they do have a couple of options that will make this pick even harder than selected Larry Fitzgerald. Do they fill a gap on a power offense up front or add depth to the RB core. Currently they have a undrafted one year player at C and they could definitely upgrade that position by taking the best C in the draft.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers – Sean Smith, CB Utah, Smith was an unknown commodity coming in the combine. After having a great showing and running pretty well for a CB, he will sneak into the first round with the final pick in the round. Usually being last is a bad thing, but being last in the first round is a great honor. You are going to be playing for the world champion of our sport. He will fit in very well with the Steelers and their 3-4 defense.

Let me know what you think

#2 Docny1975, Mar 4, 2009
  3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

No way we take DHB is Nicks is still on the board

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...we already have a fast receiver named David Clowney.

DHB is not a #1 receiver - hell, I don't even see him as a #2 receiver.

5. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

6'3 - 206 lbs. DHB
    6'2 - 210 lbs. Hakeem Nicks

40 time
    4.3 DHB
    4.49 Hakeem Nicks

Last I heard we had a possession receiver in Cotchery. Clowney is 6' 188 pds DHB has a much better frame.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Nicks plays like a tight end after the catch - he fights for yards.

DHB plays like a 7 year old girl - rarely going over the middle and usually going down after first contact.

Neither had solid QB play, but Nicks produced big stats and DHB was mediocre-at-best.

Troy Wiliamson 2.0

I rest my case.

EDIT: Last time I checked it doesn't really matter how tall your slot receiver is...so it doesn't really matter how tall DHB is.

#6 Mr Electric, Mar 4, 2009
  7. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

When is the #1 receiver a slot receiver?

Personally Id like to trade down into the 20's and take Britt but I didnt want to put trades into the mock, and at #17 I dont think you could take him. Id like to get another 3rd or so by trading down.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I was saying that DHB is nothing more than a slot receiver - in my mind, he'll never be a #1 or a #2 option.

Trading back and selecting Nicks or Britt would make a much better draft - I understand not putting trades into a mock...it's a guessing game.

9. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

K fair enough. I think Nicks has more potential to be an immediate impact player. I could say I see him as a Amani Toomer type receiver he does the job but doesn't shine in the limelight. I do agree DHB has more of a boom or bust factor (I'm hoping more boom). I think he has the potential to be more of a superstar but your right he also has the potential to be a Troy Williamson 2.0.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I see where you're coming from with Heyward-Bey - I've just never been a fan of his. No one can deny his speed...

I see Hakeem Nicks as a Marques Colston type player - I know Nicks is about 3 inches shorter, but he's every bit as physical..neither one of these wideouts has blazing speed, but they win jump balls, they look the ball in, and they produce after the catch.

11. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

I really don't see how you can pass on Sanchez if he's there..especially for DHB who has the highest bust potential of any WR in this draft.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think Ryan is looking to win NOW - Sanchez is all QB that needs to sit and learn the style and speed of the NFL.

I am one of the biggest Mark Sanchez supporters on this board, and I'd still take Sean Smith or Hakeem Nicks over him.

13. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

I really like Smith I wouldnt mind trading up in the 2nd to get him if we can. Sanchez I think is going to be a bust I think he needs like 2 or 3 years on the bench to learn the game.

I think I'll switch the WR's give us Nicks and the eagles DHB. I think the more safe pick is the way to go now.

14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Good choice with Nicks over DHB... Heyward-Bey has bust written all over him. I think a fair comparison to Hakeem Nicks would be Anquan Boldin.. And Nicks does have a good speed too. Don't forget Clowney and Stuckey are burners with top speed as well.

I considered Crabtree as well for the Rams, but I think Jason Smith is more likely and smarter. I think the injury could scare them off just enough to go with Jason Smith..

IMO, Jason Smith goes ahead of Eugene Monroe..

#11 for Michael Johnson is way too high.. But hey, he probably will get overdrafted, but not that much.

Interesting choice for the Redskins, but I think they want a pass-rusher opposite Andre Carter rather then another Phillip Daniels-like run defending DT.

Houston is a tough spot to project at #15, but I think LB is a good choice. I think Wide Receiver and Center (Alex Mack) are two possibilities as well. I'd even consider QB.

IMO, William Beatty > Eben Britton

Interesting how we pass on Sanchez. I have mixed feelings on that, but I do like the potential of Ratliff and Clemens, so I would be happy with Nicks.

I think Lauinaitis falls a bit more.

That's too high for DHB, but some team will probably over draft him due to his triangle numbers so that's a fair prediction.

It's hard to imagine Vontae Davis falls that far..

Alphonso Smith > DJ Moore... Just my opinion

I like how you have Knowshon Moreno ahead of Chris Wells, who falls out of the first. I think that's a good projection and a real possibility. Even Ohio State fans think he has high bust potential. I'd love to put Moreno about 15 or 20 spots higher, but there's few places for him to go. Here's a darkhorse projection: Moreno to the Browns at #5... Probably too high unless he lights it up at his pro day.

It seems like I just gave you a lot of criticism, but overall I think this was a very solid mock draft..

#14 JetFanInPA, Mar 4, 2009
  15. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

lol criticism is good its people that come in and say that sucks and leave that i dont like

16. The_W

The_W Banned

Two Questions:

1. Why would St. Louis with so many glaring holes go with a skill position in Crabtree? I would see them taking an OT like Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe to take over the LT spot from the aging Pace.

2. Do you honestly think old Al Davis is willing to go OT in the top10? Even though I understand your logic with taking a potential headcase, Andre Smith. We all know how much the Raiders like selecting players who might bring additional baggage with them :smile:

17. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

I think they are going to cut / trade Holt and then would have no weapons for their QB and can get OT in the early 2nd. If they dont cut or trade Holt your prob right and they should go OT in round 1

He did with Gallery couple years back. Plus i hate the Raiders so I gave them the headcase

18. The_W

The_W Banned

Oh, Gallery... Forgot about him.... He panned out pretty good as an LT :rofl: Nowadays he plays, what, right guard? Just shows you how good scouting and drafting the Raiders' FO has done these past years :up:

19. JetsFanInVB

JetsFanInVB New Member

Didn't Rex just watch a rookie QB lead a team deep into the playoffs? A guy who didn't have a great receiving corps?

I don't think we pass on Sanchez, but I don't think he'll be there either. Someone will trade up for him.

Schotty will let Rex know if he believes one of our current QBs can play mistake-free enough to allow our D to carry us.

20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be too surprised if the Texans grabbed him at #15 if he was still there either...