Jets sign Jim Leonhard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 17a_tailgater, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

I can't speak for the Jets as I don't know much about Elam, but Leonhard definitely would've lost his job in Baltimore to Landry, and quite possibly to one of Haruki/Zbikowski.

2. ........

........ Trolls

I'm sorry, why are you here? To remind us all of what poor acquisitions the former Ravens players and coaches are? I can't imagine that you don't have a better way to spend your time than to spread your sour grapes across another team's message board. You should ask some of the Packers fans who came along with Favre last year. Even those who felt he had lost a step came over with positive intentions and constructive comments. They didn't simply bitch and condemn us to failure.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He's probably right about Leonhard.

4. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Not until after the season when we were calling for him to retire.

5. ........

........ Trolls

And Rex? And Scott? He's done nothing but bitch about our acquisitions. He's perfectly allowed to do so; I'm just curious...why bother?

6. ........

........ Trolls

Shhh...I was trying to leave that part out.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

that interested me too. A lot of "those guys are mediocre and replaceable."

as if none can have a good career outside of Baltimore.

8. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

For the past few weeks, when on my computer, I've visited this message board to give my honest input on players/coaches that I've follow for years. There is a reason why Rex, Scott and Leonhard were available in the first place, and I'm trying to provide the flip side to the rampant optimism present on this site. I believe that on every message board things are blown out of proportion, and I'm simply trying to give you my perspective.

So what if Packer fans had positive intentions and kind words about Favre? Ultimately, Brett wasn't too good, and they were wrong.

Is it that far fetched to suggest that Rex may fail like Nolan and Lewis did before him? Am I crazy to think that Scott may be exposed like numerous other Ravens linebackers have been in the past? Should I be dismissed because I have doubts about Leonhard being a starter when he had one pick in the regular season off of Cincinnati quarterback Jordan Palmer in trash time?

#188 Ravensfan06, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  9. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

It's a low risk high reward signing. The money isn't anything the team can't wash its hands of if it turns out Jimmy-boy can't get it done as a starter. However, I think it's important we get as many guys that know the system as possible.

10. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I wouldn't call Mike Singletary a failure just yet. And in terms of other Ravens alumni, Del Rio turned around Jacksonville, and Mike Smith did a pretty good job last year...

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Lewis and Nolan didn't draft well.

its that simple. No more Newsome, no more success.

nolan wasn't head coach material, Lewis needs to get out of Cincy, its a shit hole.

Rex has a chance to do well due to the consistent drafting over the last 3 years. If it continues this year, the FA acquisitions will flourish under the system they already know.

My biggest fear is that either the offensive side of the football will be forgotten, or our OC will fuck it all up. But I trust the defensive side of the football will be fine... Scott and Leonhard arent the end all, be all pickups. They are cogs in the wheel who know the system, and it makes it easier for everyone else. I don't expect an immediate all-pro nod for both of them, but I expect this defense to move along faster due to the knowledge they bring. The simple logic of team chemistry dictates that. The Jets have one of the best locker rooms in the league, but I'd say the Ravens have a better atmosphere. Harbaugh is a big reason if i'm not mistaken. He made the Ravens more team oriented.

The Jets old braintrust is somehow still on this Coaching Staff. Sutton included which still makes me want to not even go to training camp this year because I feel I myself might become a doddering old fool.

#191 NDmick, Mar 4, 2009
  12. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

I'm sorry, I meant Marvin Lewis. I purposefully did not include Del Rio, Singletary or Smith because they haven't been given enough time yet, and none ever reached the DC position. Lewis/Nolan both started off very well in their respective cities, but things bottomed out quickly.

13. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

I agree with what you're saying, but ultimately, Nolan and Lewis are very convenient comparisons.

Lewis had many stars much like Rex, but being a "players coach" like Ryan killed him pretty quickly. Instead of pushing for more defensive acquisitions, the Bengals began to focus on the offensive side of the ball, and became very one sided. That organization is incredibly inept as a whole, but Lewis has never had control of that team at any point in time, and he simply does not have many coaching attributes.

Nolan is an even better comparison because he brought the former linebacker coach for the Ravens, Mike Singletary, over to San Francisco with him much like how Pettine/Rex went as a couple to New York. Again, Nolan lost control of the team and was soon replaced by Singletary himself.

I realize that neither one of those guys really brought over Ravens with them, but many defensive coordinators that have left the system don't seem cut out to make it as head coaches. Rex being an extreme "players coach" is a bit worrying as many of those guys seem paralyzed as things begin to spiral out of control.

14. ........

........ Trolls

That still doesn't answer my question. So, you don't think any of them succeed. Fine. Why bother showing up here to tell us that? If they were so imminently replaceable, why would you bother following them to their new team and taking time to counter the "rampant optimism"?

I sure as hell didn't have any interest in stalking Browns message boards. I wasn't about to go to the Broncos sites to dismiss D Rob last season. If not sour grapes, I don't understand the motivation.

15. Ravensfan06

Ravensfan06 New Member

Because I'm killing time on my computer? What do you want me to say? I'm sitting in my house still awake and I've come to this site to converse with fans of the team that has just taken 2/3 of our players and 2 coaches. It's awfully hard to completely cut off ties with those guys cold turkey, and after reading the opinions of several Jets fans early on, I decided to post here to dispel ridiculous notions/provide my own commentary/take criticism. Shoot me?

#195 Ravensfan06, Mar 4, 2009
  16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

You are reaching here. You can't just compare Rex Ryan to any ex-Baltimore coach that failed.

17. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Get a life. We have enough disagreement amongst Jet fans. We don't need some lame-ass Ravens fan putting in his negative two cents. Go away. Please.

18. Angry Teste

Angry Teste Active Member

dude, shut up. He has contributed more to the thread than you have. It is nice that other teams fans frequent the best site in the world, and even better to get some insight on players he knows more about than you!

19. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Oh really?

Here is an exchange between a Ravens fan who I have known for several years, and am in a couple of dynasty IDP fantasy football leagues with. He knows his chit, and is a rabid Ravens fan:

Roadkill says:
    A brief interruption from a Ravens homer: Jim Leonhard had a really good year for the Ratbirds in 2008. Another big free agent loss for Baltimore.

I say:
    Hey Roadkill, how are ya?

A few Ravens fans have been on Jets boards and they have pretty much trashed Leonhard. I only saw him near the end of the regular season and in the playoffs. I thought he looked pretty good, always around the play. With Landry coming back, I guess the Ravens want to spend their cap elsewhere. Nice to see a Ravens homer contradict the fans that have started posting at Jets' MB's

Roadkill says:
    Some of my fellow Baltimorons let their emotions get the best of them. We have some pretty good ones on this board, though, even though there aren't many of us.

In a thread during the playoffs where Chase asked us homers to rank the individual defensive players on our teams, I had Leonhard something like 6th on the Ravens, but that was only because Baltimore had a wealth of defensive talent -- Lewis, Reed, Ngata, Suggs, Pryce, etc. He had a massive December and January, a huge contributor on a really good defense.

P.S. I had him ranked above Bart Scott. But both those guys can play.

Keep yappin R006. I'm not buying into your sour grape opinions.

20. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Funny how you of all people have the nerve to call a poster out.