The Reason Ratliff, Ainge, Etc Wont Work

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by week17magic, Mar 3, 2009.

1. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

Backups are backups for a reason, my god. Jim Sorgi could be the best QB in the NFL, you have no idea. Im not going to waste my time in getting a list of QB's that were backups, who went on to have successful careers.

FUCK, Im so mad at this retarded post. Excuse my language.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I disagree with the entire premise of this thread. We have 3 guys that HAVE been being developed on the roster. There are many examples of QB's sitting the bench for a few years before getting there chance and excelling.

They now have years in the same system, and get a chance to start behind a very good o-line that will have been together for more than a year with 2 pro-bowl running backs and hopefully a very good defense.

That's a good recipe for success if you ask me. Now if Cutler were available, that would have been a different story.

3. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I did, but I predict 10-6 every year.

4. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

ok RaiderjoeOnLSD

5. week17magic

week17magic New Member

how can you even argue this? Sorgi could be the best QB and we don't even know it, yeah my ass. Most career backups are not talented, thats why they arent playing. Unlike Clemens, the greats that came off the bench like Brady didnt need any time to adjust during their playing time. If you want to have that success story, you have to perform well immediately.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

I think there was a bit of a difference between the Pats team that won the superbowl and the 4-12 Jets with Adrian Clarke and Clement on the o-line.

7. Freeman_McNeil#24

week17magic

Mangini may have preached defense first to the media and the fans but he did not display that on the field. Our lack of blitz, dropping 7-8 killed us last year. He did not utilize the D's strength whatsoever. We nearly lost to Buffalo at home until we blitzed. I cant imagine Rex doing the same.

8. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Hey, I was right in 04 and 06. I was almost right in 08.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think the fact that brady went from Practice Squad QB to #2 in a hearbeat shows that he was really talented before we even knew it. We knew it when he started beating the Jets 90% of the time.

Clemens has had ample opportunity to become a starter... he has not show it... maybe he is a late bloomer, but he's never shown that glow that I see in other QBs, no matter what talent is around them.

10. week17magic

week17magic New Member

hey, im glad you fellas are putting all your confidence in Clemens. Something out of his 5 TD 11 INT start to his career, the fact that he went 0-3 in all of his college bowl games, and how he was picked before guys like Devin Hester, Greg Jennings, and Brandon Marshall really appeals to you.

11. NY Sack Exchange7

NY Sack Exchange7 New Member

Yeah, "Win NOW" worked out great last year huh? If Im not mistaken, Clemens was from the same draft class as Cutler. We picked him as we saw something good in him. With a new Coaching staff, new Defense, new players etc. it will take at least one year to make it all gell. I dont forsee Faneca/Jenkins retiring this coming offseason. Defense wins Super Bowls, just ask the Steelers. :cool:

12. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Its people like you that make the league messed up. The be perfect, every play or you get cut. If Bledsoe never got knocked out, Brady (not anymore) would still be a backup. And you would be saying he is shit because hes not starting.

QBs who started as backups, or sucked, off the top of my head:
    Rodgers
    Brees
    Anderson
    Garrard
    Pennington
    Brady
    Schaub
    Manning(s)
    Steve Young

Many more, not ringing a bell at the moment.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

Between Clemens and Ratliff I believe one of them can succeed with this team for the reasons I stated earlier. I think Clemens looked like shit on a shit team but showed flashes of promise. I'm not sitting here calling him the next Brady, I just think the situation is promising for a guy who has been in the same system learning for a few years.

14. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Pennington in 2006 was given another shot not only because Clemens was a rookie and he beat him out but also because he was only a season removed from taking the Jets a made FG away from being in the AFC Championship game in 2004 (granted that was with another coaching staff). Then he got hurt again in 2005.

If he showed he was capable enough to be the starter it made sense to give it another go with him.

15. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Big Ben only started in 2004 because Maddox got injured in week 2.

16. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Clemens wasn't the starter going into the Seattle Bowl, he played outstanding in the '03 Sun Bowl and was nursing a broken ankle in '05. You're pulling at straws.

17. week17magic

week17magic New Member

ok do you know the reason why those guys were backups at those times? BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T BETTER THAN THEIR FIRST STRINGS. I'll go down the list. Rodgers because of Favre. Brees because of Flutie who had recently won comeback player of the year. Derek Anderson proved immediately unlike Clemens that he was solid. He played the second half against KC in 2006 by throwing 2 TDS and bringing the Browns back from an early defecit to an OT victory. Garrard is not a good quarterback, period. Pennington was not better than future HOF Vinny. Brady performed immediately and won the super bowl. Schaub is also not a good quarterback. Peyton Manning started from the beginning. Eli didn't because of Warner, who was coming off the greatest show on turf, and do I have to explain Steve Young? These are great quarterbacks, but also the few out of the hundreds of backup quarterbacks over the years that had success stories.

18. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

And he asks me how I can argue the opposite.

19. week17magic

week17magic New Member

and lets be real, besides Brady, does Clemens have the promise like guys like Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Steve Young, etc?

20. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

OK, youre simply stating why they didnt start. Youre not looking into how they did when their careers first started.