Jets will sign either Scott or C/OGBrown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ThunderbirdJet, Feb 24, 2009.

1. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens24feb24,0,5333940.story

this thread is for comments ONLY about who the Ravens might sign, either Bart Scott or C/OG Jason Brown.

Agent: Scott or Brown likely back
    Representative for both optimistic one of two pending free agents will reach agreement with Ravens before Friday
    By Jamison Hensley | jamison.hensley@baltsun.com
    February 24, 2009
    At a time when Ravens fans seem resigned to losing two of their best young starters to free agency, the agent for linebacker Bart Scott and center Jason Brown has suggested otherwise.

Harold Lewis, who represents both players, said yesterday that he is optimistic either Scott or Brown will re-sign with the Ravens before free agency begins Friday.

"My gut feeling is one of the two is going to hit free agency and the other one will probably sign," Lewis said. "That's just my gut."

Lewis wouldn't hint whether it would be Scott or Brown returning - "I don't know which one it is," he said - but it appears the Ravens have a better shot at keeping Scott off the free-agent market.

Related links
    NFL scouting combine: Penn Staters step into light
    Medium Well: Coleman's interview with McAlister
    Sports Digest: Colts to release receiver Harrison
    Will these Ravens be sticking around?
    Ravens Insider: The bottom line on Lewis and the Cowboys
    2009 NFL draft prospects Photos
    Ravens offseason Photos
    2008 Ravens draft picks Photos
    Poll: Brown or Scott?
    If the Ravens can sign either Jason Brown or Bart Scott, but not both, which player would you choose?

Jason Brown

Bart Scott

View current results

Ravens draft database: Search for every pick in team history
    Twenty questions: Ravens draft history quiz
    Are you an NFL draft wizard or wannabe? Test your knowledge by taking our trivia quiz.

With linebacker Ray Lewis poised to become a free agent, the Ravens might make a concerted effort to keep Scott, the team's second-leading tackler each of the past four seasons.

The Ravens could have a tougher time in talks with Brown, a center who could command higher money as a guard in free agency.

Harold Lewis and the Ravens met twice last week at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, and Lewis acknowledged progress was made in negotiations.

But no deal is expected to be reached until later in the week.

"I don't see both of them getting out there [in free agency]. I can see one getting out there," Harold Lewis said of Scott and Brown. "There's only so much that the Ravens can do. If they can do them both, that will put a smile on everybody's face. That's the goal here. We've said that over and over again."

The Ravens are $19.4million under the salary cap, according to Sports Illustrated'sWebsite. Four starters for the Ravens (Ray Lewis, Scott, Brown and safety Jim Leonhard) and kicker Matt Stover are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents in three days.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Saturday that he was optimistic "at this point" about retaining Scott and Brown.

"We always feel like we're willing to pay more for our players than other people will, but over the past few years, we have lost players because they've had the opportunity to help their families by making a lot of money" elsewhere, Newsome said.

Scott, 28, has developed into one of the cogs of the Ravens' defense after joining the team as an undrafted rookie in 2002.

He has started 16 games for three straight seasons and finished second in tackles last season with 104. His presence inside has been a big reason the Ravens haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher in 35 games, the NFL's longest current streak.

Brown, 25, found his niche in his first season as the Ravens' starting center in 2008. The 2005 fourth-round pick played a major role in the team-record 20 rushing touchdowns and the second-fewest sacks allowed in team history (33).

"A lot of players are all about [what team] can get me the most," Harold Lewis said. "I'm pretty blessed in having clients who aren't about who is the highest. It's who is the best fit.

"We're going to fight for every nickel and dime we possibly can. But the most important thing is to address what the players' wants are and their families' wants are."

The Ravens appear to have contingency plans if they lose Scott and Brown.

To fill Scott's void, the team could promote either rookie Tavares Gooden or veteran Brendon Ayanbadejo to starting inside linebacker.

At Brown's spot, the Ravens have the option of shifting Chris Chester or Marshal Yanda to center and starting the other at right guard.

But it seems the Ravens and Harold Lewis made headway in talks last week.

"We've made a lot of progress, there's no doubt about it," Lewis said. "We're not there yet, but we still got a few days to get there."

The Ravens have already made two major moves this offseason, cutting cornerback Chris McAlister and using the franchise tag on linebacker Terrell Suggs.

Now, maybe we can talk about how this might affect the Jets draft and FA signings. The agent for both Scott and Brown thinks Baltimore will sign one, but not both.

As I see it:

The Ravens sign Scott:
    The Jets can then sign Brown, which might be better than keeping Brandon Moore. Brown would be slightly cheaper than Moore. Brown is the Ravens starting center in 2008, and had a good year. He's 25,and can play guard as well. That gives us a backup for Mangold, and a replacement for Moore. We would still need more O line on day 2 of the draft, but Brown's versatility is attractive. We could then use a first day pick for an ILB and resign Barton.

The Ravens sign Brown:
    We then sign Scott. Now the Jets could go after either a RT (moving Woody to RG) or a OG to directly replace Moore in either the second or third round, likely the third.

Worst case scenario:
    The Ravens resign both Scott and Brown, and Lewis is left out on the line to dry. Now all sorts of people would clamor for Lewis to sign with the Jets, a guy who 2 weeks ago had the balls to tell the Jets to keep Favre if they wanted him to sign as a Jet. The guy isn't even an FA yet, and he's telling Ryan how to run the team. Nightmare scenario. He'll want 15 mil a year. And this board will become unvisitable.

This is NOT a double thread. I would like to discuss solid Jets topics like this without troll interference. If the mods don't like it, I'll start another thread. This is a Jets message board. Let's see if we can keep some integrity in that regard.

2. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

how are you going to say that the jets will sign either scott or brown, and then provide no proof of speculation of signing either?

3. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I just dont want Lewis.

Scott is the guy I want. I dont have a problem with signing Brown but I would like to use the cap we have on to improve this defense. I think we can all agree their are some good pieces in place already. We need to add to that.

I wouldnt go out and pay a ton of money for an offensive lineman. Not that i dont think O-Line is important but we have a solid 4 there already that we have a lot of money invested in. We could draft a guard in the middle rounds or pick up a cheaper option in FA or just keep Moore. If we are going to spend big money I would like to see it invested in the defense.

4. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

Based on your scenerio's, I would much rather want to sign Scott just because the thought of resigning Barton sits uneasy with me because of his age , and his inability to fire up the defense. I like the possibility of signing Brown and moving him to Guard, and although he is an upgrade, he isn't much of an upgrade. Moore has consistently been getting better year after year..but Brown is younger. Brown will contest more of salary if he moves to guard in free agency though. I also don't like the thought of having a couple of huge needs in the draft, and having to address the linebacker position with the #17 overall. If we can trade down, and then address the LB, CB and WR position in the first two rounds. Not to mention, ideally drafting a top tier quarter back like Freeman (Ryan has already suggested he doesn't want to sign a veteran QB in FA).

Overall, I am a little bit worried if the Ravens resign Scott. I would much rather keep Moore and sign Scott, than sign Brown and draft a MLB. The Linebackers in the draft are deep this year, so I would much rather draft one possibly in the 3rd round for depth , rather than at #17 for a starter.

Just my opinion though...good post

5. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

While all of this is important...the greatest part of this thread is having tbj back in the house. Great seeing you back tbj...you are one hell of a poster my friend.

6. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Proof? Since when does someone offer up proof when they are speculating?

The article was reported... and the agent for both players think that one but not both will be signed. He is speculating. There has been wide spread speculation that Ryan would like to sign not only Scott, but Leonhard as well. Ryan never said that, but even the Ravens' GM Newsome has commented on it. So, everything is speculation, even by the GM's.

It is not unusual that a new coach will bring players from his old team to his new team. The Jets have gaping holes at ILB and RG, and two of his old team's starters are FA's.

Proof of speculation... that's an interesting one. I speculated. I can prove I speculated. That is proof of speculation. :lol:

As far as Moore goes, I'd also rather re-sign him, but based on "proof of speculation", it would seem he's as good as gone. So, we are left with getting Scott as option one, with the whole Brown/Barton thing as a possible fall back plan.

I think we go into the draft and FA with 3 big holes. CB, ILB, RG. If we can fill one of those holes with an FA signing (Scott-plan A: Maybe Brown-plan B) that takes care of one hole. I think we can get a startable CB in the first round. Then maybe an ILB in the second, and as much as I don't ant to re-sign Barton either, it may be unavoidable.

I just hate the idea of spending big money on ANY 36 year old line backer, never mind a loud mouth like Lewis.

Hey Jay! What's up? :)

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It would take a ridiculously over priced offer from another team for the Jets not to sign Scott. I wouldn't be surprised if the deal isn't already done although we all know that is illegal..haha.

8. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Man this Brandon Moore deal is messed up.

9. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Both Scott or Brown would be good pick-ups for the team. Scott would be my first preference to strengthen our defense. Don't like losing Moore, but Brown would negate any bad feelings for his departure. Unless Lewis comes here cheap (not gonna happen) he can head down to Dallas. Jerry will have his hands full down there.....

10. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

That team could be Miami....

From my recent understanding, Miami might not be re-signing C. Crowder, and the one name that keeps popping up, is B. Scott. We also have more money than the Jets the last time I looked. Money aside however, a deal could come down to the Ryan factor. He may want to play with the Jets just based on that fact. I guess we'll find out soon....

11. Miami is gonna wanna flex their recruiting muscles toward the jets after what went down w/ Calvin Pace last offseason. I think it's gonna be an interesting battle...the Rex factor could be the deciding notion.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

What is the Dolphins' cap figure right now?

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don't know, Bart Scott doesn't seem like the type of guy that would be interested in wearing aqua and orange every game.

14. ........

........ Trolls

They have about $20 million to work with and 3 unsigned FAs.

15. JETSFANNYC

JETSFANNYC New Member

Reports are out that the Ravens and Scott coiuld have a deal in place before friday. This would be bad. Who would i go after. VILMA. I would love to have Vilma back in gren and white. Vilma and Harris in the middle would be pretty fucking good. Scott is my first option, but if the ravens lock him up. I feel we have no other choice.

#15 JETSFANNYC, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well. Always assuming the Jets are $20m or more under at this point, does that mean BLITZY is talking out of his ass?

17. ........

........ Trolls

If Moore gets cut, we will most definitely have more room under the cap than Miami, so yes.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

http://www.phinzmania.com/forums/view.php?pg=salarycap

Code:
    Top 51	

Dead Cap

Total Cap Used
    Estimated 2009 Salary Cap

Under
    So if reports are correct that we're at $20 million before releasing Moore, we're in pretty similar situations. Pretty sweet considering we spent like crazy last year. The fins fans that were saying we would be in cap hell this season can blow it up there asses.

#18 WhiteShoeWillis, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  19. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

His point, and I think its a good one, is that you titled your thread, Jets will sign one of the two, and then ran an article saying Ravens will only keep one of the two. Maybe I missed something, but I dont recall hearing any indications that the Jets were interested in Brown, other than speculation by some members on this board that it would be a good signing. The feeling I've gotten is that theyll likely go cheap for a replacement, using Woody at either RG or RT and plugging in a cheap solution at RG or RT, either one of the guys we've got on board (I think it was Turner who was used as a TE in the heavy sets last year?) or else maybe a draft pick. But Ive seen no indication that they cut a moderately priced Moore because they want to find a higher priced replacement.

Then again, if Scott reups in Baltimore and Lewis goes to Dallas, youve got to spend all that cap space somehow, so who knows. But I dont think weve seen much support for the idea that the Jets would sign Brown.

20. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

id rather have scott, and draft a solid og