17a New Stadium Tour - PSL's, NEW STADIUM STUFF GO HERE

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by 17a_tailgater, Feb 8, 2009.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Now that is a execllant idea

2. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Champ I give you a lot of grief for a lot of things, most well deserved, but this had me rolling.

This is one thing that I just can't back the Jets on. At least the Giants have won something recent, so their fans are probably more willing to accept the ass-raping from their team than Jets' fans are.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Then they are in for a rude awakening, and I don't think it's just me. I heard a WFAN caller the other day say he ordered Mets tickets in the new place up in right field, and he's already been moved down to sit behind the dugout. Tickets at the new Yankee Stadium aren't even selling out. People are losing jobs and homes, these sports owners aren't living in reality if they think people are going to hand them thousands of dollars for this crap.

I know the street market value for Jets tickets as well as anyone out there, I was a second-hand buyer from 1984 to 2000 and a seller since then. I know I can see the games of my choice without paying a PSL, wthout paying for pre-season games starring UPS drivers while the starters sit, and without prepaying the parking for every game. The only people who don't know that, the ones who will pay for PSLs, are the wasteful corporate morons responsible for the mess this country is in now. Some of them might get to waste a few more bucks before we weed them out of society or put them in jail, but not enough to fill that stadium for two teams every week. And if they do by some miracle, then I'll watch the games on TV.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I like that f/screen view you posted. Reminded me of my own setup. Yes but they do not know U R street smart & they PRESUME U R ripe for taking

5. rudd28

rudd28 New Member

AMEN bruvva!! I've been a seller of xtra tix for 12 years now...I can count on one hand the games that I have made money on by selling them because I couldn't make it. I'm almost giddy with anticipation at the first person to try and sell their $700 face tickets on an auction site...CANNOT WAIT! I

6. Italian Seafood

Thanks, champ. Looks like we're all on the same side of this one.

7. Italian Seafood

It's going to be sweet. The money we don't spend on the PSLs and the pre-season games we can spend in the 5-star restaurant.

And all those nice new wide seats will look better on TV for the December games in the freezing rain when we're 4-10. Much better than the plastic red ones, which were just a reminder that it isn't our stadium and they wasted their time hanging up the green drapes. That only fools anyone when there are people in the seats.

8. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Good for you guys. Enjoy your games ot home. I still love going to the games and I am glad I have seats upstaits so I can continue to tailgate and spend 6-8 hrs. with my buddy's and away from my family. 8 games at my house are enough thank you . And while no one is gonna get the $ they paid for their tickets, they are not gonna give them away, and the ones who are selling are going to be the top dollar people so no more jet games for $50. And if the Jets don't sell out, you will be traveling to hartford to watch the games because they will be blacked out in NY, even on the Ticket. Enjoy those Bengal/Titan games

#308 sec314, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  9. Italian Seafood

It's not the 70s, man, that isn't going to happen. As rudd28 said, there are a lot of ways to get tickets now that didn't used to exist. Supply and demand rules, if people buy tickets up front and there's no demand for the games, they'll go cheap second-hand, they always have. If the team stops selling out, you can bet tickets will be available for games without having to buy PSLs or pre-season games, then I'm back in.

I love going to the games, too, but I'm not going to bankrupt myself to do it, and I'll pick and choose my games.

10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

The NY Jets will not sell out there games for the new stadium and the people that do buy seasons are going to the games. No more giant fans going to jet games so there will be less tickets on the 2nd hand market. There will be tickets available the day of the game which will cause the 2nd hand to dry up. Its not the 70's where you could slip the ticket taker $5.00 and the gate, its a new day, and we are gonna be the first big market not to sell out due to PSL's. That's my prediction.

11. Italian Seafood

I hope so. That's what I'm banking on, actually. If I can get tickets on the day of the game I don't need the second-hand market or to be a season-ticket holder. That hasn't been an option since I've been old enough to drive to the games, which is 25 years now. I don't mind paying for my tickets, I'll pay above face. When you factor in what I'm not paying for pre-season + PSLs, I'm ahead of the game.

#311 Italian Seafood, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I don't see the Jets going into 2010 without selling out. And I don't see a blackout situation occurring. The Giants will have sold out and the Jets will be the laughing stock, not only of the NFL, but the entire financial world.

Woody Johnson is not about to let that happen, so I disagree with those that say the Jets will not sell all their seats.

But what will they do, you ask? How will they sell out? Well, for one thing, they've already demonstrated that they're not opposed to anything unconventional to accomplish their goal. Look at the idiotic eBay auction they just held. they may have to go back to that, or even more drastic measures should that not totally pan out.

I am saying there could be a reduction in some of the PSLs, to make people anxious to snap them up. There could also be a reduction in ticket prices (although of this I would be EXTREMELY WARY, because they can always turn around and nail you unmercifully in subsequent years to make up the difference).

When my "rep" called me up initially and asked me if I were interested in any PSLs, I told him right off the bat that I was not. After pushing further, I basically humored him but stubbornly stood my ground about not wanting to go with the program.

At that point, he asked me something I thought was very interesting (and I've mentioned this before). Of all the things he could have asked me, he asked this: "Is it the PSL prices or is it the ticket prices? Which one of those two bothers you the most?"

I think there's a crack in the armor, my friends, just my own personal opinion. It was just the way he blurted it out, like he had been asking others the same question. It was almost as if it were some kind of poll or something on a checksheet that he had to ask before he got off the phone. Has anyone else experienced that same question?

I am surmising that the reps are being told to ask that and they probably have a random poll or sheet they have to turn in. It's quite interesting... almost as if, if this thing bombs out like it seems it's doing, someone is going to want to look at the results and go, "Well, 30% say it's the PSLs but 50% say it's the ticket prices, and 20% say it's both."

I told him it was both. I said I MIGHT be able to justify a lesser PSL, but that the ticket prices were also way out of my affordability range. My guess is, if push comes to shove, you're going to see some movement at some point in time (probably in both areas).

13. Italian Seafood

I don't see how it can't. Do these guys follow the news? Do they really think people have that much money to burn on PSLs and football tickets in this economy? Not trying to be one of these doom and gloom people over the economy, as a salesman I almost have to tune it out, but they have to look around and see what's going on. If I'm not mistaken, the idea of PSLs was introduced in the 90s in a much better economy, maybe their time has come to an end. Especially in a market like ours. Hell, the Devils just built a beautiful new place too, I can get a package of their tickets with no PSL. It's not like the Cleveland Browns who own their market, the Jets aren't even close. They aren't even the best NFL team selling the same thing in the same place at the same time, so there goes a lot of the corporate dollars they were counting on when they went into this venture.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I'm not a season ticket holder so take it for what it's worth. I don't think the Jets are bad guys here. They made plans to build this thing when the market was at 14000, unemployment was under 5% and the demand for live sports by well to do NYer's was skyrocketing.

This stadium like almost every major high end real estate development that was started when things were good and are finishing up now or in the next several months are simply economic disasters. This one will be no different. Several of the presold PSL's are nothing more than promises that won't be kept no different than down payments on condo's that never closed.

The Jets are going to need a fast economic turn around to get the clientele they require to pay for this mess. Its all timing, Woody is lucky as hell the WSS never got approved. He would have been bankrupted by it.

Unless you are rich if you have a family this is no time to be investing in the NY Jets.

15. rudd28

rudd28 New Member

No hard feelings here, but I only said what I said based on my personal situation as to where I sit in the ticket pecking order. I think Italian Seafood and myself are in the same boat with regards to seniority, so there will be no upper deck choice for us. I'm glad you'll be going to every game, and if I had the option of FREE PSL and cheap seats, I'd be there right along with you. I don't think opting out of a PSL makes us lesser fans...just smarter ones. Now I realize this is completely different, but look at what Nascar just did this past weekend for the Daytona 500...This is their biggest race of the year, and they weren't selling seats. So they decided to almost cut the price in half, and low and behold, THERE WERE BUYERS! People haven't lost their interest in sports, they have lost their interest in spending a wad of cash at sports. Priorities have been rearranged. Now perhaps the Jets will be forced to do something similar to Nascar??? Only time will tell...

DAYTONA BEACH , Fla. (Jan. 9, 2009) ? A limited number of tickets in select areas on the famed Superstretch for the 51st annual Daytona 500 on Sunday, Feb. 15 will be rolled back from $99 to $55, Daytona International Speedway President Robin Braig announced.

The $55 ticket price for the Daytona 500 is the lowest ticket price for ?The Great American Race? since 1995.

16. Section 227. Row 5

I totally agree and have said this in the past. There's a slim chance that WSS would have been economically viable even in the best of times. But building it right now would have been a financial disaster for the Jets.

Still, if the venue had gone through as originally planned, it at least had otehr options associated with it, especially with the dome. Indoor concerts, trade shows, rodeos, monster truck mud races, etc.

With this fucking thing in the Meadowlands, it's basically a single purpose, outdoor building beijng occupied 16 days out of the year. Oh yeah, they can have some other events going on, but nothing like what the WSS would have generated.

But it was a traffic and parking nightmare. And it would have cost 3 times what this monstrousity is costing in the Meadowlands, so yeah, Woody would have bankrupted the NY Jets by being committed to that thing in this economy.

17. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Amen this is how I feel exactly.

18. Section 227. Row 5

I totally agree. But I would also warn everyone to be EXCEPTIONALLY WARY of a reduction in ticket prices for 2010 because it's not the same scenario.

The Daytona 500 people do not hold PSLs over their fans heads. Woody might reduce the ticket prices just to goose the sales of the PSLs for now, but NOTHING stops him from going back at you in the three years following the price reduction and guging the living hell out of the prices "to make up for it."

He'd even have the balls to put it into the billijg statement in 2011, probably claiming, "Now that the economy has turned around and our loyal fans had the benefit of our generous reduction in their 2010 prices, we now need to return to the pricing we originally had planned as part of our dedication to bringing you such a quality product. We know you will all agree."

As the recipient of multiple, excessive price hikes (in excess of 10% per year for 5-7 years) in the Mezz, I know the Jets have no compunction against nailing the living shit out of you. My ticket prices doubled during this time (if you proceed with a 10% add-on per year, your principle will double in 7.5 years... do the math), so anyone being lured in by a temporary reduction in ticket price but at the same time being straight-jacketed by going for the PSL (even a reduced one), is leaving themselves open to a annual reaming the likes of which make the Holland Tunnel look miniscule.

19. Italian Seafood

If I'm not mistaken, had the WSS gone through it would have been done by now, ahead of the mess and probably in time to sell it out for the Jets with the PSLs, especially in Manhattan. Also since the next Super Bowl (2010) was already committed by the NFL and the other business it would have brought in, as Section 227 mentioned, it would have worked out and been great for the trade show business and that whole part of the West Side.

I do agree that Woody didn't have much choice. He couldn't stay put because the Giants were knocking down the current stadium, one of the perils of renting and not owning, you don't call the shots. So after the WSS fell through, going halves with the Giants made the most sense, what else was he supposed to do? Especially now, can you see the wisdom in trying to build two football stadiums in the same market at the same time? While they're also building two baseball stadiums? I don't.

20. Section 227. Row 5

True, the NY Jets had no choice. It was the Meadowlands or nothing.

The thing that gripes me the most over all this is that the dual ownership was supposed to lessen the blow for the ticketholders and fans. The shared construction costs and shared overall expenses were sold to the public (and the ticketholders and fans) as a cost reduction and benefit to the ticketholders and fans in general. We were going to save money. Good idea. That would come to be construed as something the ticketholders and fans wanting to attend the games would find positive.

Not so. This whole thing is a money-grabbing rippoff now. We were taken. It's not what we thought it was going to be and instead was turned into a tool fro extracting the most amount of money from anywhere, loyal ticketholders and attending fans be damned.

The whole thing is a disgrace now, as far as I'm concerned. Everyone from Woody on down should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for even being a part of it. I have zero respect for the assholes who call themselves "reps," who call under the pretense that they "are here to help you with the move to the new stadium."

How about I don't need any "help?" I'm perfectly capable of filling out your fucked up form and mailing it in myself, dude. Do what you will with my seats, but if you fuck with me too bad, I'm outta here.