Cap Questions (and Answers) Continue for Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Feb 18, 2009.

1. freestater

freestater New Member

New York Jets' cap figures official
    by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger
    Thursday February 19, 2009, 9:59 AM

I've had so many inquiries about my report on where the Jets stand under the cap that I was beginning to doubt my own story.

But I've checked with a league official and he confirmed unequivocally that the Jets are roughly $15 million under the league's projected 2009 salary cap of $124 million. The league year starts on Feb. 27th, the same day as the opening bell for free agency.

The only question is whether the cap will be set at exactly $124 million or slightly below.

Again, thanks to Brett Favre's retirement and his $13 million coming off the books, the Jets will be able to be a player in free agency.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/02/jets_cap_figures_official.html

2. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I refuse to get excited about this.

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I really hope we can get a few lesser name FA's in here and with a great defensive minded HC get the most out of them. NE always had a knack for signing those cast off guys that could be had for little $ and having them all play to thier abilities.
    If we could do something like this we could not only build our starting defense but also add some much neede depth on both sides of the ball.

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Ca-Ching!!!! Thats what we needed to hear. Honestly I dont want another monster spending spree like last year, but we do need to bring in a few guys so that we can be set up for a run for the next 3-4 years.

Guys who are high on my list

Bart Scott - will be a perfect fit next to Harris in our new 3-4

Jim Leonhard - we need a safety opposite Rhodes. Ryan knows him better than anybody else. All the papers say he is basically a Jet already anyways.

Chris Canty - Quality 3-4 end and we desperately need some DE depth.

Secondary guys

Jarrad Page - Young safety out in KC, shows plenty of promise more of a backup plan should Leonhard fall through.

Jabari Greer - He has been a quality CB in buffalo his entire career, and he played great as a #2 cb the last two years, but once he got hurt this year, he lost his job to the #11 pick in the draft Leodis Mckelvin. He likely wants a chance to compete for a starting spot meaning that he would be a young gun coming in with something to prove, and full of fire. He also has returned 2 of his 4 interceptions over the last two years for touchdowns...

Julius Peppers - What more needs to be said? The guy is an elite pass rusher, he wants to play in a 3-4. the things Rex Ryan could do with him would just make opposing offensive coordinators cry. I put him as a secondary guy, because if we bring him in, he is likely the only guy we bring in, which just isnt beneficial enough to the team in my opinion.

OL depth. Always need some OL depth.

#24 nyjetsrule, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Maybe they can find some OL depth in the draft.

6. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Good stuff. I wonder if even with 15 mil, Tannenbaum will restructure Rhodes and Pace or just allow them to be front-loaded. Their respective cap numbers this year are HUGE, but after the roster bonus they both recieve this year, their cap numbers are pretty cheap. Of course, next years uncapped but I sincerely doubt the cap is going anywhere in the NFL.

7. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Very good point. If Rex is able to elevate the play of lesser known guys through his coaching, a la NE, that makes the cap issue much less of a factor. Sure, the Jets have a few major needs in terms of positions that need to be filled, but the talent that we already have on the roster has been underutilized in my opinion, and I'm really hoping that changes with the new staff.

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

FYP
    filler

9. Al13

Al13 Member

chris canty wants to see a 6 year 40 million deal probably with 20 mill guaranteed, scott wants probably the same amount, no way there is enough cap space to sign those 2 guys

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Haha..you start off by saying you don't want a big spending spree like last year and then go to list Scott and Peppers in your letter to Santa.

11. Don

The Jets have 32 million in roster bonuses due to 5 guys this year, Pace, Rhodes, Revis, Jenkins and Moore. You would think at least some of them could be converted if there is somebody they really want to go after. Although I though I read somewhere that because of the possibility of an uncapped year after '10 that may no longer be permissible.

12. hazmat

hazmat New Member

You can still convert some of the roster bonus to signing bonus. They have the 30% rule where the players salary + amortized money can only increased by 30% per year if they have no salary cap. I believe the majority of the $9 million in roster bonuses due to Pace and Rhodes can be converted.

13. Don

Maybe they already have and that is why the cap room numbers are so different with some saying the Jets are 3 million under and others saying they are 15 million under.

14. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Hello, it's a rating system. Guys in the top list are the guys who would be my primary targets, and the bottom list is the group of secondary targets should the others fall through.

As I said with Peppers, if he who the Jets want, he is the only guy they can go get.

With Canty, I seriously doubt he is going to get that kind of money, if he does, then we just don't bring him in.

I didnt say this is who the Jets should go sign, I said this would be my list of FA targets that I would go after.

15. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

If we are ~$15million under the cap right now before any restructuring contracts (Rhodes, Pace) that people are talking about, Tanny deserves a lot of credit. Hopefully this is true, because 1.15 million and 15 million are very, very different

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I believe he already did during the season. You can't say he'll start to whine. You can surely say he will continue to whine.

He just wants a long term contract. Im glad we keep him bitching cuz he is not worth a big long contract anymore.

17. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

The difference is only 13 times...