17a New Stadium Tour - PSL's, NEW STADIUM STUFF GO HERE

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by 17a_tailgater, Feb 8, 2009.

1. jetmetnet

jetmetnet New Member

i think we're all assuming (and for a good reason) that the jets are going to stink in the near future as well. however, if this changes under ryan then maybe folks will fill up the stadium and the tickets MAY go at a higher than face value price. it's a possibility...but i think it's worth taking a chance by waiting for that to happen.

2. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I say anyone who is a PSl owner is going to every game and will never discount the tickets. I would eat my tickets before selling them 1/2 price. That's the one good thing about all this. Its put up or shutup time and whoever puts up is the real deal and will go to all the games. Also most old timers will move upstairs and get rid of those Jet/giant fans that have taken over.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes at one time the NYJs said there were around 22,000 accounts. It occurred at the same time they announced that around 50% of the accounts had NJ addresses. Do you really think 3,000 accounts represent 80,000 seats? That would be an average of 26 & some odd seats per account

4. championjets69

No my son NEVER asked how many seats those 3,000 accounts represents so there is no way to know what the NYJ rep would have done if the qustion was posed to him

5. championjets69

Yes I understand that those about 3,000 accounts represent ALL season tix holders from inception to implementation of the NYJ computer system on 01/01/77. Just go on the theory that each one of those accounts has 4 tix each that means 12,000 seats are accounted for. That leaves 68,000 other seats to be accounted for from years 78 forward. How many in each of those years beyond 77 is the 69,000 question. As I posted elsewhere at one time the NYJ tix ofc put out a blurb that they had about 22,000 accounts which would sound right with 4 tix per account average. So if that number is still correct that leaves 19,000 accounts to be accounted for from 78 forward

6. championjets69

Are you saying that the about 3,000 accounts that the NYJ rep mentioned take up all 80,000 seats in the present stadium? If you use an average of 4 tix per account & divide that by 80,000 seats that come out to 20,000 accounts

7. KSJets

KSJets New Member

No, your math is all over the place. You're making it seem like you think there were 3,000 more accounts added every year. That's why people are making so many comments about what you said.

I honestly don't care how many accounts there are. You're trying to make sense of something where we don't have any of the info. You're just making one assumption after another.

8. championjets69

I said numerous times it is JUST a guess just like yours is there are not. BTW if U use the average that the about 3,000 accounts mentioned by the NYJ rep accounts for 12,000 seats how many accounts do you think represent the remaining 68,000 seats?

#208 championjets69, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I value your opinion, but in this case, you are wrong. Let me present a scenario which is fictitious but which pretty much describes a vast majority of season ticketholders, most of whom are NOT Mom & Pop holders like ourselves:

Joe Spimoni owns a small bakery in Brooklyn. He's also a huge Jets fan. Joe has about 8-10 employees and his business makes a decent little net profit at the end of the year. After paying salaries, including his own, his company nets about $30,000 a year.

Joe will have Spimoni's Bakery, LLC buy 4 PSLs from Woody and pay the $20,000 in PSLs, financing it over time. He'll also have the company write out a company check for the $16,000 per year for the tickets.

He can do this because his accountant tells him it's perfectly legal. It's a business write-off and the expense will directly be attributed to Joe's T&E (travel and entertainment) account. After all, Joe needs to "entertain clients" to buy his baked goods, right? The IRS allows Joe to take this deduction from his gross income, which diminishes the bakery's bottom line of $30,000 by $16,000 per year. But so what? It's not out of Joe's pocket, correct?

In fact (and not to get political here), Joe's accountant tells him he needs to take as many deductions as he can right now, because the new Obama administration has all but promised to bang the living hell out of Spimoni Bakery's gross profits at an even higher tax rate than it's paying now in order to give the "middle class" a tax break. Moreover, Spimoni Bakery, LLC is going to lose some of it's other tax breaks in 2010 as the tax cuts that now in place get thrown out the window. What better timing than to sign up for some PSLs right now and help diminish Spimoni Bakery's gross income? The government is going to get half of it anyway.

Joe's delighted with this, because it's no money out of his own pocket. He gets to go to all the Jets games and even lets some of his employees go when he can't make it. Every June, when the ticket invoice comes in, Joe makes out a check from Spimoni Bakery, LLC and mails it in. Joe's accountant tells him it's either that, or the Federal and State governments are going to get 30-50% of that money anyway, so the tickets really cost Joe's business $.50 on a dollar.

It gets better. Joe can't make some of the games on Sundays once in a while because he's shorthanded at the bakery. And he gets pissed that some of his employees who take advantage of him by calling in sick, even though he has given them those nice Jets tickets once in a while.

So Joe puts the tickets he can't use on eBay occasionally. Since nobody in their right mind wants to pay Joe $400 per ticket, or $1600, to go to a game, he sells them for less. In some case, much less, just to recoup some cash. He discovers that even if he sells them for half, or $800, the $800 shows up in his PayPal account in his own personal name! All of a sudden, he personally "made" $800 and still watched the game when he got home from work. Not so bad, eh?

Pretty soon, Joe is picking and choosing which games he wants to go to and dumping the rest of the tickets on eBay, at just about any price. He's still making out with this whole arrangement and still gets to go to the games he wants to go to, especially the playoff games.

I'm not saying there aren't more ticketholders like 314 or 227 out there, who own the tickets in their own personal name, but I'd ventrue to say there are a hell of a lot of Spimoni Bakery's out there that own tickets. And that will increase. In fact, as you have read in your Playbook, the Jets "welcome" small businesses (with multiple partners even) to own the tickets.

My example of Joe's situation gets bigger from here. Joe is just a little fish in this pond. There are thousands of law firms and Dental Groups and construction companies with many partners all over the area, and every one of them has this same thing going on.

The market will determine what the ticket prices will be, IMO. It always has and always will. If the Jets are having a bad season in particular, the prices will plummet. So although you and I shudder at the thought of discounting our tickets and would "never sell them at half price," there are many out there that will. And they'll do it at a "profit."

10. championjets69

Look the math is the math no matter if you choose to accept it or not. We know for sure, sure that there are about 3.000 accounts from inception till 01/01/77. It is NO stretch to say each one of those accounts represents 4 seats each which would total 12,000 seats. That is simple math. That leaves 68,000 other seats to be accounted for from 78 forward. If you disagree with my guess estimate of 3,000 accounts per year from 78 forward then what is your estimate? If you remember I used ur theory that of the 12,000 seats in the up to 77 group 1/2 would not use the UD seats leaving 6.000 UD seats spoken for from the 77 group. 78 forward IMHO to say another 6,000 UD seats per year would be spoken for is not a stretch sorry to say since it seems for sure the 77 guys cannot/will not speak for all 80,000 seats in the old stadium

11. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Again, I honestly don't care how many accounts there are. I only care about what is going to happen with my tickets. I have more important things to think about during the day than how many accounts the Jets currently have.

Just to satisfy you, I'm saying that there is absolutely NO WAY that the Jets had 3,000 accounts by 1977, spread out over 13 years, and then added 3,000 more accounts each year after that.

12. championjets69

So you are saying the NYJ rep is lying since that info comes directly from the NYJs. Also in the booklet they clearly say that the UD seats will be spoken for by 83 seniority or before. Doing that simple math using the average of 4 seats to each account would mean that the 1st 6,750 accounts from 77 forward would take up the 27,000 seats in the free non PSL UD based on 4 tixs to a account. In my case I am a 77 guy & I skew the average somewhat as I have 8 tix & I have opted for UD seats for all 8. I also have 4 seats circa 84 which I feel I will lose since I will not take a PSL & I believe that 84 iis to late for the free UD seats

13. Section 227. Row 5

Champ, you seem to have replied to the wrong post with this answer. My post (#209 above) has absolutely nothing to do with your "3,000 accounts" argument, so I don't know what that is all about.

I was replying to 314 regarding aftermarket ticket sales and my post had nothing whatsoever to do with what you're talking about. WTF?

14. championjets69

OK sorry if I mixed up ur topics

15. Section 227. Row 5

This is not entirely true. I am looking at my booklet right now and it clearly states, "If every season ticket holder chooses the upper level in seniority order, the upper level will be sold out for anyone with seniority after 1983."

You can deduce that if you want to, but it's glass-half-empty time again. Only under the assumption that every swinging dick is opting for uppers does this apply.

As we've discussed before (and to which you've agreed), not every ticketholder is going upper. Some people will be going with (and have already gone for) the Club PSLs during Phase I, which is now in progress. In Pahse II, others will be going for the lesser priced PSLs and using their seniority to pick up nice seats in the Mezz or elsewhere in the lowers, for example.

Still other will simply walk away altogether, especially if their senioriy is 2000 and beyond, as they realize their only option (without paying the PSL) is to sit in the upper rows of the Upper Deck, dodging pidgeon droppings. They have no nearby parking and are forced to walk two thousand yards after the game to get to their car, almost insuring the fact that it'll take them twice as long to get home because this puts them at the end of the traffic lines.

So, I think it's best for most to not assume the worst, even if they have seniority in the late '80s or early '90's. They may still get a seat in the Uppers.

16. KSJets

KSJets New Member

No, what I am saying is that you're confused, again, and totally screwing up relaying what you heard, again. What you just posted above makes a lot more sense that what you HAD been saying. You were making it seem like there were 3,000 accounts from 1977 and then a pace of 3,000 per year thereafter.

What you wrote above, would mean that there were 3,000 accounts in '77 and then another 3750 total, between '78 and '83. That makes more sense but isn't what you were saying earlier.

And if you're skewing the average by having 8 tickets, the person that my friend and I buy our tickets off of really skews your average because he has a total of 26 tickets spread throughout the stadium. I'm sure he isn't the only one which makes this who debate totally useless and pointless.

I'm completely done with even talking about how many accounts there are or who has what, because it's really pointless.

17. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I'm on the waiting list for my own tickets, and I'm still holding out hope I can snag a couple of upper deckers. Not much hope mind you, but I like to look on the bright side more often than most people.

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Champ just likes to try and one-up everybody, but it doesnt matter because he isn't going to the games anyway. After next year neither am I, apparently--I haven't heard a word from the Jets, not on my wife's account (from 2001) or mine (from 2002).

19. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Oh, I already told my friend that it's doubtful I'll be able to do anything. My options are kind of limited with being on the waiting list. I'm right at the top though, but what's the point in getting my own seats for 2009 and then not being able to get anything for 2010. The difference in having a 2009 seniority date for season tickets and being at the top of the waiting list is really nothing.

20. hazmat

hazmat New Member

A large majority of the psl owners are going to be wealthy individuals and companies. They will be maybe going to a few games, but also giving them to clients, friends or selling them. If you think everyone buying psl is a diehard fan.....