How much will Ryan change our draft philosophy ?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Popeye's Army, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Tannenbaum and Mangini used to look for Rhodes Scholar choir boys as much as possible in the draft. Eric put a lot of emphasis on character, smarts and guys who loved football.

With Ryan being hired, how does the board think that's going to change our draft philosophy ? Ryan had some thugs on the Ravens but those guys could really play. Will the Jets go after more athletic players (including those with problem backgrounds )? Or will Tannenbaum's emphasis on character still be a driving factor in our picks?

2. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I think they will take more chances. Ryan likes fighters.

3. jets272

jets272 New Member

Ryan likes to run multiple fronts which means we would need another d-lineman I would like to see Tyson Jackson at 17 or maybe Vontae Davis to fill the need of a #2 corner

4. Jmart

Jmart New Member

tyson jackson is the safest player to pick in this draft and fills a big need for this team. seems like a good character guy that keeps to himself, but plays mean on the field. I guess that fits both discriptions for either mangini or ryan

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Football players..... that's the main thing.

Forget "athletes" or "high character guys" or the like.

Football players.

Guys who want to line up and smack you in the face and do it on all four downs. They can let you know the exact play they are going to run, and still execute it and beat you. Thats the kind of guys Ryan looks for and had in Baltimore.

Its time to find the same guys. On both sides of the ball.

6. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I don't believe the philosophy will change extraordinarily, rather it'll just be adjusted. You'll see a lot more "chances" on guys that aren't exactly known as choir boys, but at the same time you won't see malcontents or any guys that had issues with practice or staying out of trouble. Ryan loves fire, and wants football players like NDMick said, but above all he wants guys that he knows can and will work to be great. You really won't find many more hard working players than the leaders of that Ravens D.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think Rex is going to stock up on defensive backs this year -- maybe a linebacker or two.

The Ravens only drafted one defensive lineman with a really high pick and that was Haloti Ngata, who has freakish athletic ability for a guy his size. I really don't know if Ryan will go after a guy like Tyson Jackson.

If the Jets decide to go defense in the first round, players like Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin, Brian Orakpo, and Rey Maualuga have to be high on the list. He's going to try and find a guy that he can build HIS defense around. An outspoken player that can become a star...someone that makes players around him better. Ryan had three players like that in Baltimore in Lewis, Reed, and Suggs.

8. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

I think Ryan will go defense first also. And I could definitely see him taking a guy like Maualuga. Big hitter. Big presence on defense. Big charisma for others to rally around. Just the kinds of things Ryan would like. A young Ray Lewis clone.

9. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

See honestly I think it depends what he sees in the offense or defense. Whatever he thinks is lacking the most he will go with that need