Get Rid of Clemens

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RedWhiteBlue&Green, Jan 21, 2009.

1. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

One thing that I was baffled about, after pre-season, was that Kellen Clemens was the back-up qb to Favre. Heck, I was surprised that he was even on the team. Ratliff looked exceptional as qb, and Clemens has always looked like a bust. I would never give Clemens another chance, not on the Jets and not in the NFL. I think he's Arena at best.

That said, I hope Favre stays with the team and never has to hand the ball off to another qb. Favre gave the Jets confidence to win, something they rarely had in the past. And it was exciting to watch this Hall-of-Famer play for the Jets. In a town owned by the Super Bowl Giants, he made the 4-win Jets mean something, and after a 4-win season, anything positive is huge. I would absolutely love to see him do it again.

C'mon Brett, one more year!!!

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

This is why you will never be a GM.

3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

You are an idiot.

4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I would much rather sign a vet, like Jeff Garcia or Billy Volek. I don't know that these guys are FAs, but these are examples of the guy I'd get. Then you have that guy compete with Ratliff and Clemens in training camp.

5. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Right on Ratliff, dead wrong on Favre. Glauber has proposed my plan, but didn't credit me, the f---r. (sic)

Drop Favre and Ainge, draft a young QB, bring in vet to compete for start or be safety back-up--Leftwich, Anderson. Etc.

No way do I want anything to do with Cassell or the Pats. Let that connection wither.

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm not a huge fan of Clemens' play so far, but I see no reason to be getting rid of a young QB right now. If anything we need to bring in more and hope one of them can play if Favre doesn't come back. It does us no harm to give him another shot, you never know.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Favre gave the Jets the confidence to win...one less game than they did in 2006 when they won 10 with Chad Pennington and Kevan Barlow.

Clemens may or may not be a bust. But it's beyond idiotic to classify him as one when you've barely seen him play, and the one time you did, he had zero talent around him. As mediocre as he looked in the 2008 preseason, he outplayed Chad before 2007.

8. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

In 2007, Clemens was rated the worst qb in the entire NFL. That says something. In pre-season in 2008, he looked like he didn't even play college ball. Maybe you're right, but IMO, he's a bust, and I don't want to see him in green and white ever again.

About Favre, I'll say it again. He made the 4-12 Jets relevant, before the season even started. That's how great he is. He may be a shell of his prior self, but he brings excitement to New York like few other players do.

With a good defense, which it looks like we will have, with Favre I think we have a winner. There aren't many good choices out there for qb. For my money, I'd keep favre in a heartbeat.

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Lets keep in mind the Jets before Favre in general were horrible. It was not just Favre who made this team better. Faneca and Woody were much better than Clarke and Clement on the online, Jenkins was a vast improvement on the DLine, Pace was a vast improvement in the LB core. Not to mention guys like Keller and Richardson on offense. I get annoyed with the idea that it was all Favre that got the team to 9-7. Clemens could have thrown 22 picks as well.

Oh and Jones had a great bounce back year as well.

10. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I haven't given up on Clemens yet. The offensive line in 2007 was just a complete diaster. No QB had a chance to succeed behind it. With the rebuild O-line the pass protection was better and we were able to run the ball more successfully. I do think Kellen and Ratliff duke it out in training camp and preason and go from there. If they both look terrible then I have no problem in drafting a QB in 2010

11. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

still never really saw Clemens with this improved OL

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I swear i had a dream last night of Clemens leading this team to the dream land.

WTF

13. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Maybe Rex will like Clemens!

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This.

He's also been in the system for 3 years now. Why get rid of a young guy who has been in the same system for 3 years? Do you remember how bad Cassel looked in preseason for the Pats last year?

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Bob Glauber - Forget Favre and check out other QB options?

17. Determination#4

Determination#4 New Member

I hear that my friend, Cheers :beer:

18. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

While I personally hope Favre retires, it is unlikely anyone other than he will take the opening snap in 2009.

19. GreenMachine

Ratliff is a FA. Not that he will demand much, but just pointing that out.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no reason to get rid of Clemens yet, he is cheap with potential. You donæt get rid of qbs with that combination. The guy had 8 games with a horrible supporting cast, one of the worst OLs I ever saw. We donæt know anything about Clemens yet.