This team quit on this season/who needs to go (ROSTER ONLY)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CatoTheElder, Dec 28, 2008.

1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

We led the AFC in rushing this year....how could anybody on this oline be viewed as "weak"?! Especially Faneca!

I mean..you're entitled to your opinion, bud....I'm just a little perplexed over your reasoning.

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Here look at the this post by WSW:

3. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Alright I admit I might be wrong about Brick. But Faneca is WAY overrated at this point in his career and, no, he has not been solid all season. Solid LG's aren't exactly a dime a dozen and I wasn't suggesting he needs to go, just that the LG position could see improvement

#83 GBA, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Ok let me clear it up. What I mean by this is D'Brick isn't amazing, he could be replaced. Only if we were to land some sort of great LT (not happening).

The second sentence means that as it stands today, D'Brick and Mangold make up for Fanecas lack of pass protection. If we were to replace D'Brick we would need another Pass blocker (as most LTs are anyway) to make up for Faneca.

I know its not that straightforward, but there have been posts that have made less sense before.

#84 Quinnenthebeast, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  5. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Faneca was 10 times better than the revolving door we had there last year.

The running game was good, but the playcalling was suspect, and they failed to develop into a power team and drive the O through the rushing game in those december games. That was a BIG mistake.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah but what about his contract? Wasn't he paid a lot of guaranteed money? I know this is a thread about who needs to go, but is it even possible to cut/trade him?

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

who did Faneca replace? wasn't it Adrien Clarke??

i'm going to have to disagree, man.....overrated or not....Faneca >>>>>> Clarke, A.Jones or whatever ham n' egger they had playing LG.

8. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Faneca was 10 times better than Adrien Clarke but Clarke isn't even practice squad material. Faneca is great for the rushing game, but his pass protection is lacking. There's a reason Pittsburgh let him go, his age is starting to show.

9. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

1. favre
    2. eric smith
    3. ty law
    4. L. coles (but we need to get a #1 in draft or FA)
    5. B. Graham (oh yeah...we allready did, hes kicking in the SuperBowl)
    6. Bubba Franks

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

the guy is an 8-time pro bowler including this season. I'd like to know who you would replace him with.....because you're not only suggesting to remove a great player, but you're taking away a great voice in the lockeroom.

11. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

You forgot mike devito.

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

The fact that Brick is one of the top pass protectors means? Most of the LT's are not better pass blockers but neither here nor there.

OK so if we can get Orlando Pace when he was 22 or Jonathon Ogden when he was young then we can replace him......ok great I can agree with that.

Back on topic:

The starters I think the Jets can easily replace:
    Baker
    Coles
    Barton
    Thomas-if an adequate replacement can be found
    Elam/Smith- contingent on Ryan not being able to coach either of them up.
    Barrett/Coleman/Poteat-
    Damien Woody

The Jets need depth badly as well. One thing other teams are able to do is fill in losses seamlessly. Again, that is a depth coaching issue.

I am not going to put any of the starting Dlineman on the list as good 3-4 DL'man do not grow on trees. (ie easily replaceable)

13. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

That's exactly why I said only if we could find a replacement, which would be difficult..

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

that makes no sense....Faneca was an excellent pickup and instantly solidified our oline....why would you want to find a replacement at this point in his career?..he's got a least 4 or 5 years left in the tank if he stays healthy.

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

A young John Hannah

16. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

It makes perfect sense. Last year we played with a backup LG who, as of right now, isn't even in the NFL , so of course Faneca was an excellent pickup. In my opinion he doesn't have 4 or 5 years left and he's already starting to show his age by constantly letting pass rushers get to the QB. If the opportunity to pick up a better LG arises, I would like to see the Jets take advantage of it. I'm honestly surprised no one else shares this opinion. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!

#96 GBA, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

good comparison, 'Puck :up:

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I actually wouldn't mind keeping Devito around for another year. He's got the build to play the position, he isn't a completely terrible back-up player against the run, and, most importantly for cap considerations, he's cheap. Until we improve the back of the roster, or improve the front to move someone to the back, he's actually the type of player we need here.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

dude...get off the crazy pills :smile:

Faneca's presence on that oline was a godsend....removing him would destroy whatever chemistry that oline has built in the last year. He's defenitly entering the twilight of his career...but he's still a very effective run blocker, great leader in the lockeroom, and an excellent mentor for D'Brick and Mangold.

20. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Cutting him would just be a stupid move. How much guaranteed money did we invest in him last offseason? There's no way that cutting him now could do anything but hurt us in the cap, he'd be way too much dead money floating around. Faneca can definitely stay for next year. I would love to find a replacement for Woody but doing that wouldn't exactly be easy, what with him getting payed like he came off of a career year.