Should we go after Peppers???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Jan 17, 2009.

1. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

And how our F.A.'s have done has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Your parents should have followed your advice, and obviously, you are a result.

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Does anyone else laugh when people try to call others retarded and misspell the word?

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Unless you're talking about getting rid of Pace or Gholston I don't think they can afford to tie up another big contract at the OLB position. Getting rid of Ellis also doesn't make sense if you're doing it to pickup an OLB. The Big Cat is a solid 3-4 DE.

I'd love to get Peppers but I don't see it happening.

4. SyracuseJet

I know people are gonna say he's too small, but I "think" he could be a Richard Seymour-type DE. Maybe not AS good at stopping the run, but still capable. Hindsite 20/20, I'd rather build around Peppers then Gholston and Pace. But, that's just me.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He said he wants to be a 3-4 OLB. He's not going to come here to be a 3-4 DE.

6. SyracuseJet

Why couldn't we just stay in 4-3 the last 3 years???

I think there's too much invested in our OLB in signing bonuses. Unless you push Pace into the middle, guess there isn't anywhere to put him.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I laugh at every single one of Primetime Kid's posts...and I only laugh because he knows so much more than anyone else on this board. I mean, he can actually break down game film.

8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl:

9. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Peppers is big enough to play the 3-4 DE.

10. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

My lord, there is no question, he's Shawne Merriman, but naturally.

11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i am sure he could do a decent job, the thing about it to me is that he is an impact player and i sure would want him making a big impact, i dont think he can make that impact as a 3-4 de. its just not a big impact position and they really arent asked to be game changers.

not sure how he would do as an olb but the stuff you were talking about earlier with signing bonuses are an issue.

to the guy who said i wish we never switched to the 3-4 for the last 3 years, wow how could i agree. its so hard to get the right pieces for this defense. the teams that have played it for awhile have been able to build it and replace the parts as needed. we went from having almost no parts to where we are today, and it was hell to get there!!!!! and we arent even there yet. the switching defenses has been a huge achilles heel for this franchise the last 10 years. if anything needs some stability its the defensive strategy!

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

hehe, i saw this post and had to go and proofread my last post, i knew i called something retarded and was hoping i didnt fat finger it :)

luckily i was not the offender!

it is too funny when someone does that!

13. SyracuseJet

Forgot to address this.

So you'd say that adding Faneca and Woody (who I don't care for anyway) was a waste of money? You don't think they had ANYTHING to do with the increased productivity in the run game? As a team, they had 2004 rushing yards on 422 attempts. That's 4.7 yards per carry. In 2007 they had 1472 rushing yards on 381 attemps. That's 3.8 yards per carry. And the TD difference is 4 in '07 to 19 in '08. Maybe they are being paid a bit too much, but I can't for the life of me see how they weren't worth it. Please enlighten me.

14. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

As per the OP, we're not dropping Favre and Ellis. Ellis is the closest thing to an experienced leader that we have on this defense with more than 3 years of 3-4 experience and if we cut Favre and he still decides to play he's going right to the Vikings and we're handing over our first round pick to Green Bay for the next three years.

That being said...I'm not sure what Peppers thinks he's going to do in a 3-4 system. He's not going to earn the money that he would in a 4-3 since he's not going to be getting the sacks and tackles he was used to getting as a DE and at 6'7" 283lbs. he's too freaking big to play OLB. If he tries to rush from a two point stance he's just going to get cut every play. If he wants to two-gap and pound away at the OT while everyone behind him gets all of the glory than yea (assuming we keep a 3-4 and find the cap space), sign him up. Would love to have him.

Just thought I'd put up the comparison:
    Julius Peppers 6'7" 283
    Shaun Ellis 6'5" 285

Do either of these guys seem too small to play DE in a 3-4?

#54 CatoTheElder, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  15. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Yes, sign them all. We need better players! Sign Cassel, sign Anderson! Sign everyone!

16. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

I would say Yes..

17. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

FUCK Cassel.. The guy blows.. Stop sucking his Johnson.. As well as Ratliff..

18. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

19. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

This thread is a damned trainwreck at best. I can't beleive some of the shit I just read. Unreal. Now if you'll excuse me, Im going to have my eyes removed...

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

No. He has 4.5 speed. He'd be rushing off the edge... His height distrutes the weight equivalent to what you'd have with a 6'3" 265 OLB.