Jets Not Interested In Gruden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by semperfigreen, Jan 16, 2009.

1. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Jets not interested in Gruden
    by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger
    Friday January 16, 2009, 6:55 PM

Al Messerschmit/Getty Images
    The Jets have no interest in hiring Jon Gruden, fired Friday by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, as their head coach.According to my sources, the Jets are well aware of the firing of Jon Gruden by the Tampa Bay Bucs within the hour, but he's not on their radar.

The Jets are content to await the results of this weekend's playoff games and Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan remains atop their wish list, followed by current offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Cardinals assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm is also in the mix but Ryan is the clear favorite.

That, of course, could change until the Jets officially call a news conference, but from what I'm hearing Ryan is their guy.

While Gruden does have a history with quarterback Brett Favre, having worked with him in Green Bay in 1992 through 1994, the Jets are looking for a young, passionate coach who can connect with their young players, said someone familiar with the club's thinking.

2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan Age 46
    John Gruden Age 45

And Gruden is about as passionate as they get , I thinkk they could clarify their thinking a little more.

I am not saying I prefer Gruden to Rex but that explanation doesn't hold water to be not interested at all.

3. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I would take Gruden in a heart beat over Rex Ryan. Gruden is a proven winner and has a great offensive mind

4. Cornfed

Cornfed Member

We fire our coach at a time Gruden, Shanny, and (almost) Cowher are available. And we start with yet another new guy after Herm and Mangini.

WTF? As much as I love this team and going to games the last 12-14 years, they really make me hate them sometimes.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'd think and it's just my opinion but Gruden is a tad overrated. He won the bowl with Tony Dungy's team and he caught lightning in a bottle with a journeyman QB in Rich Gannon. He is 0-2 in the playoffs in the 6 seasons after winning the Bowl and has yet to develop a good young QB in Tampa.

6. semperfigreen

I really think woody needs to interview Gruden....I think it is a blessing that the firing happened when it did....Hire Gruden and the curse is over!!!!

7. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

If they do not at least INTERVIEW him, I'm going to lose my mind. What happened to 'no stone left unturned' Tennenbaum's approach? They've interviewed far worse fodder.

8. IATA

IATA Trolls

Shanny and Cowher are not really available, as both planned from the beginning to sit this season out. Gruden became available after the process had begun and after the other candidates had established themselves as great for the team.

9. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Gruden/Callahan as OC tandem yield good results way back when in Oakland?

10. semperfigreen

I will be disspapointed if they don't interview Gruden....This man has proven to be a good coach with fire....exactly what this team needs....Do you really want to take a gamble on another coordinator? NOt I

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great point. Gruden deserves atleast a look.

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's actually a very good point....

13. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Good memory!!!!

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I believe that was the tandem that ruined our magical 2002 season. 10-10 at halftime. Poor Chaddy boy.

15. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I don't get why the rush to pass a note in gym announcing to the rest of the class that we don't think Jon Gruden's cute. We're such teenage girls in that great big Junior High that is the NFL personnel market.

16. JetFanInTampa

JetFanInTampa Banned

I dont know why so many people are high on Gruden. he won a super bowl with one of the best defenses in nfl history, that Dungy built. Since then hasnt won a playoff game and has a losing record. The Bucs offense has been in the bottom half of the league almost every year hes been there. The Bucs drafts havent been anything special. His players for the most part cant freaking stand him. And the few years the Bucs have been good its been because of Kiffins defense.

17. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Hopefully this is a mistake, if this is the case, then im gonna have to start agreeing with all those that are saying Tanny is a nut and just looking to advance his own career.. I like Rex Ryan, but if Gruden is available, you have to be kidding me that the jets wouldn't give him an offer right now....

18. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Gruden has a really bad rep. inside the league and is disliked by his players. Shanahan wants no part of NY, Cowher wants to relax, Holmgren as well. Once Monte Kiffin left, Tampa saw it as an opportunity to start over, what does that tell you about him? He only had to worry about one side of the ball and couldn't fix it for 7 years. Brian Billick lite.

19. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

I don't understand the love for Gruden. It's been a long time since he had success. As jet fans, we will not tolerate no playoff wins for 6 years. That's what Gruden has done. he also failed to develop a quarterback. Heck, the Bucs won because of their defense, not because of the offense that Gruden brought with him.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

He had one of the least talented offenses in the NFL. (Bruce Allen was the general manager, not Jon Gruden) When he did have a lot of talent on offense in Oakland, he had one of the best offenses in the sport. (It was one of the most balanced offenses in the NFL - Callahan turned it into a one-dimensonal passing offense and Gruden exposed it in the superbowl when they squared off)