Jets Waiting for Ryan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjetsrule, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Good point, but if they wanted an offensive guy why not go after McDaniels?

2. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

I totally agree with this statement. In other words, If Tanny loves Shotty so much, and his play calling was all a result of micromanaging by Mangini, then just go ahead and let him stay at his current job of OC. Then hire Rex as the HC - ostensibly drastically improving the Jets D with a guy who's super aggressive and familiar with the 3-4. You get the O you want from Shotty and the D you want from Rex! Best of both worlds!

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I really don't want the team to go back to the 4-3 at this point. I'd like Ryan to maintain the 3-4

4. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

I think the jets may be waiting to at least get a solid interview with him. It seems Brian Shott is the fallback plan if there top selection, whoever it is, falls through.

Meh, ESPN Radio had it right though: The jets like Brian, and the only reason he isn't handed the job is due to a possible divide in the fans over it, so they want a coach that will allow brian to stay on the on the staff. In fact, I wonder if that is why everyone has ran away from the jets job. What if it's not Favre, but because the jets demand Brian stays on the staff?

Anyways, It wouldn't surprise me. Might as well get a chacne with all the canidates then go for it.

5. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

Honestly, if he is coach, I just want him to put together a consistently good defense: If it's 4-3 so be it. 3-4 so be it. So long as it works.

We know right now that the defense DOESN'T work.

6. bundas699

bundas699 New Member

Ok Can this be true? I have been a Fan all my life but I was born in '71 so just missed the last Super Bowl and each year seems to blend in to the next but could it be possible the New York Jets only have ONE coach that had a winning record.. I couldn't believe it either till I looked it up.. Unreal !! Bring back the Tuna at least he was a winner!!
    I would have started a new thread because this is really sad but I was unable to...

Years Head Coach Record
    1960-61 Sammy Baugh 14-14-0
    1962 Clyde (Bulldog) Turner 5-9-0
    1963-73 Weeb Ewbank 73-78-6
    1974-75 Charley Winner 9-14-0
    1975 Ken Shipp 1-4-0
    1976 Lou Holtz 3-10-0
    1977-82 Walt Michaels 41-49-1
    1983-89 Joe Walton 54-59-1
    1990-93 Bruce Coslet 26-39-0
    1994 Pete Carroll 6-10-0
    1995-96 Rich Kotite 4-28-0
    1997-99 Bill Parcells 29-19-0
    2000 Al Groh 9-7-0
    2001-05 Herman Edwards 39-41
    2006-08 Eric Mangini 23-25

7. revis024

revis024 New Member

please hire rex ryan. i noticed in another thread about rex that if we got him he could possibly bring bart scott along? do we even have the cap space for this??

8. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Al Groh also had a winning record. granted it was only a single season, but it was a winning record.

9. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

Missed one, we had 2 winning coaches in a row then Herm happened.

10. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/01/13/2009-01-13_rex_ryan_jets_into_lead.html

The Jets' coaching search got off to a clumsy start, with owner Woody Johnson out of the country and with Bill Cowher in and out of contention, but the process finally is starting to crystallize.

If the Steelers beat the Ravens Sunday in the AFC Championship Game, the Jets will have their head coach in place by early next week, according to league sources. Barring an unexpected development, perhaps another team stealing him away, that coach will be Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan.

You think Jets officials might be waving Terrible Towels on Sunday night?

It has come down to Ryan, Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and Cards assistant head coach Russ Grimm, sources said.

That the Jets haven't moved quickly on Spagnuolo or Schottenheimer, neither of whom is involved in the playoffs, is a blatant indication that Ryan is the preferred choice. Like Ryan, Grimm still is in the playoffs, but he's believed to be a fallback candidate.

The Jets still are hoping to re-interview Spagnuolo; the outcome of that meeting could influence their final decision. Curiously, it hasn't happened yet, sources said; the Giants' season ended on Sunday. Spagnuolo's first interview was Jan.3, during the Giants' bye week, but Johnson didn't participate because he was on vacation.

Once the Johnson-Spagnuolo sit-down occurs - if it occurs - the Jets will be able to make a final decision, sources said. They're still high on Spagnuolo, but he didn't blow them away in the first interview and they seem eager to do it again.

Johnson and GM Mike Tannenbaum met with Ryan for several hours Sunday in Baltimore, and Johnson came away impressed, according to a source. Using an interviewing technique he learned from former Ravens coach Brian Billick, Ryan gave a PowerPoint presentation that outlined his philosophy, practice scripts, etc.

The Jets also are smitten with Ryan's creative defensive game plans, a big factor in the Ravens' playoff run. One potential stumbling block with Ryan could be his choice for offensive coordinator. The Jets would like to retain Schottenheimer; it's unclear if Ryan is on board with that.

Thing is, the Jets could face some competition for Ryan. He's also a leading candidate for the Rams, who also are considering Spagnuolo (the interview is scheduled for tomorrow in St. Louis) and Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

Spagnuolo also is expected to be on the Chiefs' short list. Former Patriots VP Scott Pioli was hired Tuesday as the Chiefs' general manager and he's expected to fire Herm Edwards, creating another vacancy. The Lions and Raiders also are looking for coaches, so it has evolved into a game of musical chairs, with four teams vying for three or four hot candidates that are being considered by multiple teams.

The Jets aren't going to make a hasty decision.

"This is an important choice and the Jets are going to take the time necessary to make sure it's the right choice," a person close to the search said. "The team is seeking a dynamic, passionate leader that can create a winning atmosphere where players enjoy coming to work and are held accountable."

11. bundas699

bundas699 New Member

I did miss that but still not good