Question: How many of the people who post...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::., Jan 10, 2009.

?

Your experience in football?

Poll closed Feb 9, 2009.
  1. Played. (... all-state, all-american, all-planet, if all-planet existed...)

73 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Coached. (... call me Tom Landry, minus the hat)

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Avid Sideline Reporter. (... my doctor said physical activity excites my asthma)

24 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Football? (... like American Football? I thought this was soccer.)

12 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

sorry. i wont post something like this again.:up:

i just thought about promoting meaningful dialogue on this site, not guys saying that herm edwards should be defensive coordinator.:rofl:

2. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Usually it isn't like this, I think the high emotions and visions of Super Bowls dancing in our heads caused the meltdown.

3. Bosko

Bosko Guest

I think the guy posting this question has "jock itch." It's the tendency of people to think that if you didn't play the game at a high level, that you have no right to an opinion...

4. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

I'm John Elway.

5. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

doesn't need to be in this forum does it? well since you asked, i played in superstar mode and coached to 5 straight Super bowl wins in franchise mode

6. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

tough it out, don't match dumb threads with equally dumb threads

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

While I did not enjoy the 1998 AFC title game, you were my favorite QB of all-time. It is nice to know that a Pro Football Hall of Famer has chosen to post here.

8. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

I do what I can.

9. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I could have played in highschool, but I don't think that would have given me any more smarts about the game itself. I have always considered my self a student of the game and have always been fascinated by the NFL's history.

It would be cool if there was a class dedicated to that :)

10. nyjvilma51

nyjvilma51 New Member

I played for 9 years through high school and College. Played as a Rb, CB and safety in college. Turned down D1 to go to a college that had my major...so played at a D3 level

11. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

I played football in High School and started for two seasons at linebacker and was a backup halfback. Yes, that is where I learened X's and O's, but I have learned son much more watching the game. (Plus, the offense we ran was option oriented from the 50's with only a rare 5 or 6 passes thrown a game).

I have been watching football for over 30 years. I can tell you the game is not as sophisticated as people make it out to be. While playing the game enhances knowledge of formations, techniques and game planning, it adds nothing to broader issues that arise during a season. And most posters here see most of these things.

I believe what bothers you is that many here inject their opinions with a dose of emotion and portray them as facts.

An example:

Fact: Chad Pennington has a less than average NFL arm, possibly the weakest in the league and that makes it easier for defenses to gameplan and stop Chad.

Opinions of many on the board: Because of the above fact, Pennington cannot win consistently and when he does it is more because the team did well rather than anything he brought to the game like intelligence and leadership.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

One need not to have played the game to be knowledgable. There are many coaching books that could help anyone better understand the Xs and Os of the sport. I learned more about the Xs and Os after I was done playing (CB and RB in high school).

Furthermore, we all have heard current and former players make all sorts of moronic comments about the sport.

NFL history is littered with players who only cared about their specific assignments. QBs have to know the jobs of the other offensive players, but WRs don't necessarily need to blah blah blah. I was like that with whatever sport I played and there is evidence many players in the NFL are like that.

Also, how many NFL players don't know other players and coaches? Earlier this decade Jermaine Wiggins and one of his Vikings teammates were asked a question about former Bengals QB Ken Anderson. Neither knew who Anderson was even though he was the starting QB in a Super Bowl, a Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist (1996 and 1998), and was a Jaguars assistant coach at the time. Also hilarious to me was the fact that the Vikings played against the Jaguars in 2004. I mean, c'mon. It's amazing how clueless players are sometimes.

Then there's baseball. I remember reading about a poll which was conducted in the early 1990s. An overwhelming number of MLB players did not know who Jackie Robinson was.

13. Heavy Metal Thunder

Get over yourself. I'm sure your Pop Warner days and your stint as a JV backup gives you insight and knowledge of the inner workings of the NFL. Even if you won the Heisman it doesn't make it okay to be pompous and full of yourself.

You say that you want to incite thoughtful and informed football talk but this thread is nothing more than verbal masturbation and a passive aggressive attempt to stroke your own ego.

14. Quack

Quack New Member

Parents didn't allow me to play in high school, so I studied film, read books, etc, and still do. I'm looking for semi-pro teams in the NY area (though admittedly they're hard to find on the internet - Maybe I don't know where to look?) since I hate flag football with a passion.

I also play rugby, NERFU D-I. At this point my parents prefer that I play football, but that boat pretty much sailed in high school. Fuck em'. Yay! Angst!

15. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Brooklyn has got a bunch of semi-pro teams, as does Long Island. There's I believe only one team in Queens, playing in Jamaica. I don't remember the name of the team, but I scrimmaged against them last season, and they seemed like they ran a tight ship... Really big (physically) team, but they really lacked speed... We ate them up in 7-on-7s, but struggled when we did 11 on 11.

EDIT- Remembered the team name: NYC Falcons: http://www.eteamz.com/NYCFALCONS/

Check out the RAFL or NAFL websites. It's much easier to find semi-pro teams through the league websites, than through individual searches.

Couple teams I know that are well run, and could use some help, numbers wise:

Brooklyn Jazz:

http://www.brooklynjazzfootball.com/

Long Island Panthers:

http://www.lipanthersfootball.com/

Westchester Steelers:

http://www.eteamz.com/mtvernonsteelers/index.cfm

Long Island Tribe:

http://www.longislandtribe.com/

Brooklyn Blue Devils:

http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=brooklynbluedevils

#35 Beamen, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  16. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

you conveyed what i was thinking but in a less offensive, brash, and considerably more effective way.

thank you.

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Never played a snap. I actually suck at throwing and catching, which is weird considering it's my favorite sport. I played soccer my entire life though and hate watching it. Go figure.

#37 TommyGreen, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  18. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

sounds like u were the waterboy.:rofl:

19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Played High School Ball in LA

Sophmore Year JV All League, All County (Right Tackle)
    Junior Year Varsity All League (Right Guard) + Long Snapper
    Senior Year Varsity All League (Center)

Div III College - 2 years on team never saw a snap in a game and gave it up.

I had great blocking technique and when watching film I always was quick off the ball but I was 5' 11'" , 210 lbs coming out of High School and was too slow to play TE, FB or anywhere else. Also I got hands made of stone.

20. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Played free safety in high school. I called the plays for the defense because our two all-LI linebackers were dumb as soap but great players. I was ok, was 2nd team all division but mainly just because I just played on a good defense. My nickname was speed bump because i'd take low and most of the time just get run over and the running back would slow down, hopefully long enough for a linebacker to finish the job.