Favre to wait before deciding on '09

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 8, 2009.

1. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Ahhh, so its an indictment of the QBs on the roster. I really think we had a shot to contend in the 4th and 5th years of Mangini's tenure. The fact that he changed the schemes after 3/4 of the season shows he was learning, though it may have been ill advised at the time. He also managed to pick up his buddy Rob, something most of us expected if he stayed.

I think contention could have been accomplished with the QBs on the roster pre-Burt, and consistency in staff, but sadly we'll never know. What I really wanted to see was Burt to Tampa and Garcia to NY, but Garcia's getting old too. That would have been my ideal for last year.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Not so much an indictment of the QB's on the roster. I always felt the QB competition was a dissaster in the making. Mangini and Tannenbaum drafted Clemens they should have given him the job and tried to get something for Chad. I think the QB comp was a move that lacked leadership and set the team back. I think they jumped at Favre because they didn't have the sack to go with either Chad or Clemens. I think they should have tried to move up and get Ryan. Indecision at QB for 3 years isn't how you build a program.

If he doesn't commit to Quinn watch out for the same BS in Cleveland.

3. HOI

HOI Active Member

Exactly...I think this is one of the big reasons he wont come back. Nobody in NY is gonna kiss his ass. This isnt Green Bay where people lived and died on everything Favre.

In NY its win now or go the fuck back to Mississippi.

Plus he's not a moron...he reads the papers...he had his shot here and blew it. Time for the Jets to move on.

4. brothermoose

^^Interesting take. I know I'll be watching Cleveland more closely than ever next year...

5. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I thiink his comments speak for themselves. Basically saying that the Jets shouldn't wait for him to decide....

He knows it didn't work out and would probably be looking for a different place to play if in fact he does decide to play again (Minnesota).

6. brothermoose

He can't. He's still under contract with the Jets. Either he retires, or we trade/cut him. We can't trade him to the NFC North because we'd owe some ridiculous number of draft picks to green bay (poison clause in trade deal).

7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I heard Peter King on the radio a short while ago saying that he would be shocked if Brett Favre didn't retire. Said he thinks Brett knows that the end is now here.

Of course, it being Peter King, and my King Filter being on the fritz, I really don't know what the hell to think.

8. winstonbiggs

I can think of 12 million reasons to not retire. Pride is way over estimated and money is way underestimated on the scales of decision making.

9. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Of course the Jets would have to cut him (his salary for the remaining years on his 10 year contract keep going up), but there is no cap hit to cut him because his bonuses were all up front.

You could try to trade him to get something, but Favre is probably ready retire than be talked into going to a team he's not comfortable with again.

I think he'll probably retire anyway, but he's consider playing for the Vikes if the jets cut him loose.

10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I am not a Chad fan and I admit I was happy they signed # 4. He played the last 5 games like he could give a crap if the ball was intercepted. like he had nothing to lose, a hap hazzard attitude that pissed me off. The whole team and coaching staff was also responsible and a lot of players will be replaced, but I hope to hell Favre goes away because he's all talk.

11. brothermoose

I don't think that's possible. I think the Jets eat it if he ends up on the Vikes either way. So really the only options are trade out of the NFC-N or retirement.

12. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Nope. Once the Jets cut him, they have no more contract obligation to him. No way the Packers could blame the Jets for what he does after his contract was terminated.

13. winstonbiggs

Are you sure about that? It's not a matter of blame it's a matter of the contract between the Packers and the Jets. The trade may have been predicated on us maintaining his rights not just trading him into the NFC North?

14. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Cutting him is not trading him. Unless the Packers put it in the trade language that the Jets HAVE to keep him the length of the contract, and that doesn't appear to be the case.

15. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I don't see getting rid of Jones or Woody quite yet. TJ had a good season and I think Woody was part of the reason. I'd rather get talent elsewhere on the team if possible rather than go headhunting for another RB. That said TJ is another year older and those years pile up on guys with as many carries as TJ.

I didn't see it as a Dan Snyder year. I don't think we got the biggest name(s) available regardless of performance. Favre may be the exception to this but I'm not unhappy with the idea of getting some players to stick around for 3-4 years.

I do agree strongly with the statement that we should be trying to build around the talent that does exist.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this - I thought all last off season that the Qb competition was really based on a hope that Clemens would clearly outperform Chad. Anything short of that, though, and they were looking at another meandering year at best, like 06, followed by an early playoff exit against a team with a quality D. But they could not get rid of Chad in the Chad Fan infused environment that to some extent still is Jetland. Yes, it was clearly addition by subtraction, and the fish Ravens game shows why it still was the right move.

Now the implication about balls is that the Jets should have gone with Clemens in the first place, and foregone the whole Favre interval. I understand that, even partly agree with it, but I'm not too hard on them about that. This is after all a business, and the screams would have been deafening, even so bad as might have hurt the team's performance, including Clemens.

But bottom line, yeah, the practical result of the Favre move is that the team is in a better position, meaning an earlier position, than it would have been if Chad were still here in regard to doing what it needs to, and that is to rebuild the O around a new Qb.

17. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Does anyone really want to hear and think about this selfish ass for the next two months? Just cut his ass. He's not good anymore. One could argue he's not even the best Jets QB. Does anyone really think none of the other Jet QB could have done any better down the stretch? He's $13M in cap space. Cut him and move on. If he wanted to be a Jet he'd already said so. Did anyone really believe this self-centered ass was going to do anything other than string the Jets along? Let him go. Who cares where he ends up. He'll be 40 years old and even worse next year. How anyone can hope a 40 year-old washed up QB comes back to the Jets is beyond me. Even if he doesn't retire he's not going to sign with an AFC team. He'll to go Minnesota or the Bears or somewhere else no where near the Jets. Then start retooling the Jets. They don't need a total overhaul. Keep the FAs you signed last year. Get a few more and actually try to draft a starter in the first round. The Jets need DEs, LBs, CB, S (I'd try Lowery there first), a WR, a future HB, and perhaps a future QB. They're not going to fill all those needs in one season, but just get started and build for the future with a new coaching staff.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, I also wanted to get back to Winston's earlier post.

First of all, I thought Ellis had a pretty good year, but damn he's getting up there, isn't he? And the other side of the DL was pretty much a non-factor this year - one of my own personal disappointments, since Coleman I thought was going to be much better, and that Mosely was also I figured going to be strong in the rotation, and that didn't work out.

Dan Snyder thing is a little inappropriate, too. On paper all the moves looked like good ones. They weren't merely throwing money at it, which the Snyder rep implies.

But more generally, yes they can and should move some of the vets who are tailing off/losing trade value/contracts are too big, and retain the corps of solid younger players. Coles is definitely in the former camp. In hindsight the Jets could have gotten more value moving him last year. Oh well...

I don't know about moving Jones, however. Washington is not an every down back. There's no real talent currently on the depth chart. Using a draft pick at RB? Too many other holes. And letting Jones go just to bring in another vet RB is not worth the trouble. I think Jones stays.

I would not weep to see Woody go, though. He was an upgrade, but frankly not much of one.

What about some guys you didn't mention, like Thomas? Baker?

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You need to be thinking about that selfish ass until you have another selfish ass worth thinking about.

20. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

I'd rather think about Ratliff, Clemens, Ainge, or whomever the Jets might draft or sign. He's 40 years old. He's not going to lead the Jets to the promised land. If he really wanted to be a Jet he'd just say so. Get rid of this worthless piece of QB.