Favre to wait before deciding on '09

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

"Brett Favre has eased comfortably into his offseason routine in Mississippi and will make no decision about whether to play another NFL season for several weeks.

"I have the ability to turn it off just like that,'' he said. "I don't feel I have anything else to prove. Do I have to redeem myself for the last five games? No. I could be trying to do that until I'm 60 years old. There is nothing left out there for me from that standpoint. I'm disappointed with the last five games, sure, but I know I did everything I could have.' "

"Favre said he intends to follow the directions of Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and remove himself completely from even thinking about football before they discuss whether he will return to the Jets.

"He said he's not going to bother me for three or four weeks,'' Favre said. "He told me to do whatever and he'd give me a call in a month. Maybe I will tell him my answer that day. But he told me to get away and don't even think about football.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3818870

So don't expect anything coming soon. I wonder if we will have a coach before we hear.

2. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh

Retire already, again.

3. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Fuckin Burt...

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Favre pisses me off. He has no regrets? What about those INT's? Anyone would regret that. Or running off the field and not being sportsmanlike. No regrets? How about losing 4 of your last 5 and the only win not being because of you? No regrets? What a joke. You can just turn it off? Press the button.

5. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

It was a fun ride while it lasted... well, some of it anyway... but let it end already. Even if he said in a month that he wanted to play, he may just change his mind again later and then we'll really be screwed. I understand that he's Brett Favre, but this is giving him a little too much slack in my opinion.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I can understand why Favre might want to take into account who the Jets end up getting as HC before he decides anything. Given some of the crappy coaches the Jets have gotten especially lately, I would wait, too.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't have a problem with waiting a month or two for his decision. In the meantime, Tannenbaum's job is to look at other options with the thinking being that Brett is done. If he comes back, fine, nothing lost. If he doesn't, you need a backup plan.

I'm still hoping Favre returns.

8. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

Get the hell off my team you jerk. You don't give a shit about this team and you are the suck.

9. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Easy to feel this way when you should have retired but hung around another year and collected $13 million. I was all for the Favre signing hindsight is 20/20. Lets move on.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He's retiring.

11. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

WOW! What a freaking shock this is favre not making up his mind. Same old favre. Please just retire already so the fans can have glimmer of hope for next year. If favre returns there is a good chance the Jets will be the laughing stock of the NFL. Can somebody please knock some sense into this guy.

12. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Scumbag primadonna, go have sex with your farm animals or whatever they do in Mississippi.

The Jets were nothing to you from the get go.

13. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

I feel sorry for all those fans who went out and bought a #4 Favre jersey as he will retire a Packer even though I guess its a piece of Jets history never to be forgotten.

14. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Wow. He tried, and he bluntly admits his best was not good enough, & he failed:
    But that's not good enough for Mr. NYJK09. You want him to eat broken glass or something, I take it. I guess not everyone can be perfect like you, never failing, and not everyone can be as clairvoyant as you, knowing in advance that you are going to fail, before you try. The rest of us, mere mortals, are "stuck" being no better in what we do as Brett Favre has been in football.

The Favre hate is just as irrational as the Ratliff love. He played badly. He admits he played badly, without dancing around it. But he's says he did the best he could. And his play in the middle of season seems to validate that he was not at all unreasonable to think he could still play. His GM asked him to wait to decide, so he is waiting to decide. There is no other impact to Jets from him waiting, except maybe on HC ... wait that's right, there is no HC. So he's doing exactly what he was asked to do. And he's trying to do it with the minimum media fuss possible.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I hear this line from almost every sports team's fans.

Lions reserve that right...Jets are far from it.

16. Determination#4

Determination#4 New Member

I have no problem with Brett waiting. The last couple of times he waited to make his decision he took the Packers from 4-12 to 8-8 and then 13-3. Last year he was able to "help" turn around the 4-12 jets to 9-7. If I was a "long term Jets fan" I would seriously like his record of turning teams around as it shows the pattern of a proven Winner !!!

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

By the end of the season. he did not give a crap and was 1/2 home the day of the Miami game. Lost a ton of resepect for him. Please, Please, retire douche bag

18. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

How could you blame Favre for the play calling and the defense. Mangini was 1/2 home all season. Blaming Favre for the results of the 2008 season is a sheer case of "I must blame somebody".

19. Quack

Quack New Member

That always makes me smile. Crabtree in Detroit 2009 ftw. I think it is done just to fuck with the rest of the NFL, personally.

20. Determination#4

Determination#4 New Member

Trivia for you: If Brett starts "TWO" more games with the Jets then the Jets will be the team that Brett sets the "All Time Record for Consecutive Starts for any NFL Player Ever with 271" !!

Not a Shabby record to happen in a "Jets Uniform" and always to be remembered as being broken as a New York Jet :beer:

Let's hope this historic moment happens because it's only two games away !!!