Options at QB for 2009

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by firemanedjr, Jan 6, 2009.

?

QB in '09?

1. Brett Favre

37 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Kellen Clemens

52 vote(s)
    20.1%
  3. Brett Ratliff

111 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Kurt Warner

6 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Jeff Garcia

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Grossman/Boller

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Derek Anderson

9 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. Billy Volek

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Mark Sanchez

23 vote(s)
    8.9%
  10. Tim Tebow

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Your absolutely right. I would not touch that job until woody publically said we will have a new young Qb who will take his lumps behind center this year. Sad thing is we will have some vet who will do the same thing farve did this year. Nothing.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

There was no Qb competition in 07. Mangini announced that Chad would be the starter in January of that year. You thought he should have won the job as a rookie in 06? Wow. Don't you think you're being pretty hard on him?

3. FOURTHANDLONG

I believe Chads last throw of 2007 as a starter got Coles Concussed out of the game.

4. FOURTHANDLONG

It is equal. Chad has already proven he can not get the job done. We should have ended the Chad era three years ago. All we have to show for it is wasted time.

5. Big Blocker

I understand your skepticism, but of course it is possible they could get someone in who could get it done.

I find myself wavering about it. Here's the problem - the Jets have not developed a quality Qb in house but quite rarely over their entire team history. They would have to purposely choose to bring in an HC and assistants who would be geared to that, suck it up and live with the results in the short term, and hopefully be grooming the young Qb to be increasingly more effective.

While that is certainly an attractive concept, sometimes I think it less likely to happen than somehow hitting the jackpot by bringing in a vet. Too much must align properly.

6. Big Blocker

Don't forget that Chad did return to start one game after being replaced, but I believe you are right - Chad was the one who was the Qb when Coles got his concussion.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I find it amazing that a guy that threw 2 TD passes in preseason has 50 more votes than any other option.

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

If he's good enough to win us a Super Bowl why he couldn't beat out Chad after two shoulder surgeries? Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco won jobs this year, Ben Rothlisberger started as a rookie. Not impossible, I can understand him not doing it, but people keep saying he hasn't had chances, he has. Had another chance this year, his third year in the same offense.

Also, I never said there was a QB competition in the 07 camp, nor should there have been.

#168 Italian Seafood, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  9. Italian Seafood

It wasn't Chad's last throw as a starter, and Coles came back from that. The ankle Coles hurt on Clemens' underthrow is what finished his season.

10. Italian Seafood

Shows you where we're at as a franchise.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Mark "Dirty" Sanchez got my vote....new coach, new QB time.

12. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

It's so unbelievably ridiculous, I can't even handle it. Basically, everyone's voting for for a 5% success chance.

13. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Go with Ratclif, he looked great in pre-season. Take a chance, don't waste him
    sitting on the bench then we trade him. Look what other rookies did this year. Falcons and Ravens.

14. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

A man after my own heart!

15. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I went with Clemens. Ratliff shows great upside and IS and WSW pretty much share my same view on the matter. If we hear that Ratliff has leaped to the level that Clemens is by next camp, and he puts it all together in the pre-season games as the #2 guy, then I'd make a stronger argument for Ratliff. Until then, let Clemens get a chance.

Question for the folks who want Sanchez.

Wasn't there a QB who came out of USC about two years ago? He was deemed the most NFL ready QB/Next Best Thing to enter the NFL? Good arm. Leader. Makes smart throws. Wonder what that guy did with his chance and what he's doing now?

16. JetsLookingforDWare

Mark Sanchez blows Matt Leinart out of the water physically.

Matt Leinart was only taken seriously as a prospect because of how great USC was. Physically he was below average for a first round QB. Mentally he had the experience obviously, but he was also a dude who liked to party his ass off.

The better question for people tooting Mark Sanchez is what did you guys know about him before the Rose Bowl?

Not that I'd turn down Sanchez. I like him almost as much as I like Stafford.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Leinart isn't impressive...i'll give you that.

but the same argument can't be said in regards to Carson Palmer....so i'm pretty sure the USC program itself isn't to blame for Leinart's regression....I would say all the "pussy" he's been nailin' instead of keeping focus is more of the problem.

I wouldn't blow off Sanchez because of the college program he came from

18. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Agreed. Not only, that, but he's got over 40% of ALL votes at this time, and he's got more votes thant he next the vote-getters combined. (!) This has been very enlightening regards to the level of football knowledge and sophistication on this board ... this is essentially a litmus test.

What we seem to have here is predominantly "armchair QB cowboy" mentality. People saying things, either without seriously thinking about what they are saying, or else are really immature in their judgment of what is a good gamble. The most telling thing IMO is that (based on comments) enthusiasm for Ratliff seems to go hand in hand with criticism of the Favre gamble. There are some people simultaneously calling for Tannenbaum's head to roll for trading for Favre -- when you can at least say about him, if he had played anywhere close to the level he played last year he would have carried this team into playoffs -- but yet these same people are advocating for placing all bets on Ratliff nest year?!?

Trading for a proven veteran QB who played lights out the previous year is dumb, but you're also saying we should put next year's eggs in the basket of an inexperienced 3rd string QB who was inconsistent & interception-prone even in the one year he started in a college Division Ia spread offense, forget about the NFL?

Or, put another way, betting on Favre living up to how he played in an entire previous season (or 16 seasons) against real NFL first team defenses in real NFL games was a dumb gamble, but betting on Ratliff duplicating consistently & in real games what he did on two plays against scrubs in preseason Q4 is your idea of a good plan for next year?

:rofl:

It's disappointing, I thought the average quality of football knowledge on this board was higher than this. This poll has been very eye-opening. Most of the picks I can respect, but ... Ratliff? He may turn out to be great, I'm not saying that. If he looks like he's made great strides in the next camps, then great, lets get him in earlier in some preseason games and see how he does, and hope to be surprised. But planning on him being good -- by declaring him our top QB option for '09 now, & not just hoping he will become that -- is just ... nuts.

19. Determination#4

Determination#4 New Member

"Amazing" is about the nicest word for it. The Jets have a good, but non fully developed O-line that allowed 30 sacks and some fans want to throw young Ratliff in there to get killed. Not to mention the fact that the Jets "team window" for a legit SB run still has one year before any type of rebuild is warranted !!

#179 Determination#4, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  20. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I'll take your word for it, I don't pay attention much to college ball, mainly because I don't see a lot of good transition from college to the pros (By looking at stats alone). However, I do hear that Sanchez is the second coming of Carson Palmer, so for whatever that's worth, it sounds like it would be too good to pass up if he were to declare himself for the Draft. The reason why I compare him to Leinart was mainly because the same things were said of Leinart right before he was drafted. Proven QB in a good NFL-ready offense, good mechanics, a leader in the huddle, smart with the ball, etc. All the stats were there as well. I just can't bring myself to buy into the hype. In my opinion, so far it's been a 50-50 chance w/ USC QB's. Palmer being successful (when healthy) and Leinart being garbage.