Woody/Cowher Situation MERGED

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jan 6, 2009.

1. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank New Member

wake me up when this team cares about winning.

unreal.

2. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

They did everything in their power to bring in a 39yo QB ...but you couldnt put the solid effort to at least flash something at a great coach...leaves me scratching my head!

3. NYJ4LF

NYJ4LF Member

Sometimes I think that Cowher had absolutely no interest whatsoever in coaching this coming season. He wants to see how much money can be made and how much power he can have come 2010. He knows how much attention he is going to get when it comes to teams looking for a new coach after the '09 season. He seems to play a cat and mouse game.

4. songster67

songster67 New Member

He touted the franchise. He considered us one of the better opportunities out there. And P.O.S. Woody didn't make the call probably because Tanny's instinct was that Cowher wasn't committed. I'm sure Cowher would have listened to Woody....phone if necessary...and tried to squeeze like a 5 year deal for $100mn. I truly believe now that he was in our grasps and Tanny's inexperience and insecurity and Woody's stupidity blew it.

Carthon and Boomer did it best after the interview...
    Carthon: would you rather have Steve Spagnuolo or Bill Cowher
    Boomer: Cowher
    Carthon: Rex Ryan or Cowher
    Boomer: Cowher
    Carthon: Brian Billick
    and so on and so on

Carthon was hilarious in saying he would be okay with Bob Sutton being HC for '09 and going 0-16 in order to open the new stadium with Bill Cowher and a new (for sure) QB in '10. They were right on...he won with Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

How can anyone listen to that interview and be pissed at Woody? Cowher wasn't going to coach this year no matter what. He flat out says it.

I'm so confused.

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Thank you for posting that. Clearly there was a totally opposite way to interpret what Cowher said.

And it's pretty hard to misinterpret that there was no way he'd be coaching in '09, unless you simply wanted to ignore that because it didn't fit your point.

I'd like you to explain what was "so ridiculous." Considering that you compared interviewing black coaches in an effort to promote racial equality with a man giving up his vacation to interview a guy who made it clear that he had no desire to coach anyway, you have a pretty steep hill to climb before you call out my post as ridiculous.

Cowher has a job. One he's probably paid handsomely to do. He might even actually like it. :eek:hmy:

He might honestly have no desire to coach next year, as he's said repeatedly. :eek:hmy:

I've turned down interviews and even job offers for more money because they didn't offer me things that I have at my current job. People do turn down opportunities if they don't feel those opportunities offer them the same quality of life. :eek:hmy:

Hahaha! Cowher debunks all of the rumors himself.

It's all supposition and reliance that the source is telling you the truth (assuming in the case of our local media that there even is an actual source.)

Cowher is debunking the rumors from his own mouth. That's far from hearsay.

7. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

i agree. fwiw.

8. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Did I listen to the same interview? He never said that woody wont talk to him. He did say he didnt want to coach. I heard a guy will to talk to teams so he could start talks for the future but not this year. Some of you folks are really loosing your minds

9. KSJets

KSJets New Member

If you notice, most of the people bitching about this here are the same people who bitch about EVERYTHING here.

Knowing that, is it really so confusing?

Some people just need something to bitch about because they lead miserable lives. First it was Chad. Then he was cut. Then it was Mangini. He was fired. Now it's Tanny and Woody.

I firmly believe these same people complaining about us not getting Cowher would still be bitching even if we did get him, but they would just find something else to whine about.

10. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

^ Related to that, it seems like some people here believe Cowher is the Jets messiah and they will promise or do anything to get him here. Meanwhile, he's just a coach. And he won the big one once. Take it easy with all the woody and tanny hate

[​IMG]

11. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Then why does respect go one way. What if Woody (I have no idea) had planned the vacation six months ago -- and was wrapping business together with pleasure. Is a three day wait really going to matter?

Oh, and do you think Big Bill tells his wife what to do? No, that's why he's living in North Carolina and left the sport. Big tough guy he is. Cowher's a joke.

12. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I listened to it. He doesn't want to coach for another year. Nothing, within reason, that Woody would say would change that. If a billionaire calls you, you pick up the phone. When a man's agent says there is a 95% chance he doesn't want to coach, that says it all. If the agent thinks there is a chance they say 50/50, when there is no shot in hell they say 95. They always see the potential to make money. They never say zero.

13. jetsmetsman12

jetsmetsman12 New Member

i heard the full interview live..

cowher basically said that he was never contacted by tanenbaum or woody

and then carton FLIPPED out

14. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I heard the interview and Carton put words in his mouth. What he said Cowher said and what Cowher said were two different things.

15. JetsLookingforDWare

Well then you're ignoring how power hungry and greedy our GM is.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

what happened to the stellar avatar?

17. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

He said that he was interested in speaking with the Jets, but wanted to speak directly with Woody Johnson. Then, in his words, he didn't want to have things drawn out any longer, so he removed himself from consideration. I took this to mean that, had Woody Johnson made himself available and actually discussed the head coaching position, Bill Cowher would have listened in earnest. My guess is that his people asked about bringing in his own personnel guy and they were told by Tannenbaum that wouldn't happen. When he asked to speak personally with the owner and was put off until after vacation, he took that as a message that the owner didn't have any strong interest in discussing the job with him. So, instead of having the Jets own the news story, he withdrew his name.

But I don't think this is about Bill Cowher at all. I care less about whether or not Bill Cowher was hired than I do about where our owner's priorities lie. No one thought there was even a remote chance of bringing Brett Favre to the Jets. When he wanted Brett Favre, near as I can tell, Woody damn well went out and GOT Brett Favre. Leaving aside the matter of whether or not getting Favre was a good thing, it's that type of resolve that I'd like to see right now, and don't.

I'm going to ask a troubling rhetorical question: What would Jerry Jones or Robert Kraft have done? My sense is that their vacation schedules may have allowed time for a phone call. We know what Pat Bowlen would have done. He made the same sort of swift business decision when he fired Mike Shanahan, but then he hopped his ass on a Jet and had a sit-down with his priority candidates before the end of the news cycle.

. . . . while Woody fiddles.

18. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm listening to the replay right now, and it really does sound like Bill was put off by Woody being unreachable. God dammit.

19. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

This makes sense. It would be awkward to talk to Tanny and tell him you will only take the position on the condition that he himself would be fired or demoted to irrelevance.

20. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

The good luck that gave them the SB is balanced out by the bad luck of having O'Donnell sabotage the team in his first SB appearance.