Woody/Cowher Situation MERGED

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jan 6, 2009.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Don't know how to spell his name, Sheffler, basically says all the media reports swirling around Cowher to NYJ and why it didn't work are a bunch of bullshit and that Cowher never intended on coaching in '09.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Thanks Baamf, I've been saying this all morning.

3. Salz

Salz New Member

Look. Woody Johnson is an asshole for shoving PSL's down our throats. It's a ripoff. However, he gets criticized way to much around here for personnel issues we're having. It took balls to fire Mangini, and it was the right move. Bill Cowher clearly did not want to come here. If Woody thought he was serious about desiring the job, he would have come back from vacation. Stop assuming things just because you want to attack Woody Johnson. The media loves spinning things so they could present one guy as the good guy and another as a bad guy. They've had an affair with Cowher for years, and with all this exaggerated chaos surrounding the Jets right now, it's easy to paint Woody Johnson as a villain. They've done this with every owner in New York except for the 'beloved' Wellington Mara. Bruce Ratner has botched the Brooklyn arena deal. Fred Wilpon is cheap. George Steinbrenner is an asshole. The Dolans, are, well, The Dolans. They even bash Charles Wang and whoever owns the Devils and Nets. I'm not saying these owners haven't deserved criticism, but the media loves to pick on them even when they don't deserve it, and it's simply Woody's turn now. Smart readers shouldn't buy into it all the time.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

"Appears" to you.

I'm tired of supposition and conjecture being all anyone in this forum chooses to use to support their arguments anymore. Facts. That's what I want to deal with.

Johnson was out of town on a prescheduled vacation.

Cowher said early on he wasn't interested in coaching this year.

What else needs to be said? It doesn't matter what Cowher says after-the-fact. And it matters even less what people surmise the "between the lines" meaning of any comments he makes to be.

How dare you post an article that makes sense and doesn't use assumptions to make its arguments!?!?

5. Section 227. Row 5

Bashing an owner sells newspapers in New York. And bashing the GM is the next best thing. Bashing the coach is good too, if the team is losing.

The reason bashing the owner is the best is because the common guy on the street doesn't and can't relate to someone with that kind of money. We all love to see the multi-million dollar starlet trip on the red carpet or see Governor Spitzer in handcuffs. It somehow makes us feel good.

So Woody Johnson is a shitheel because Bill Cowher thought he'd interview for the job even though Woody made it abundantly clear he's not in the market for a Bill Cowher-type full control guy. It pays to twist this story into Woody being the asshole. It sells newspapers!

6. Section 227. Row 5

Now THAT I'll agree with.

7. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Some of you guys are being ridiculous looking for any reason to bitch about Woody and the FO.

First of all, if I'm interviewing you for a $10 mil/yr job, then you f*cking wait til I'm ready to sit down with you. Its so obvious that Cowher was not ready to coach this year or for the Jets. If he really wanted to, then he would have waited.

Second... forget what the media says. The NY papers spin every story which ever way they want to sell papers. It's silly how some people here jump on every "anonymous source that wishes to stay anonymous that has knowledge of the Jets FO's thinking" and treat it as fact.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'm listening to the interview right now and it sounds nothing like what you've said here. Basically what Cowher is saying is that he's willing to talk to owners because he doesn't want to seem smug.

He does speak highly of the Jets organization when asked which organizations out of the coaching openings currently available he thought would be good for a coach to enter. He also speaks highly of KC and Cleveland.

He was never contacted or spoke with Tannenbaum or Woody about the job. He specifically says there in NO WAY he is coaching in '09.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

All of this sucks for us as fans but if there is any consolation we can take from it, it is that he probably won't sell or will be delayed in selling at least some of his PSLs because of how he handled this.

10. Gunther

Gunther Member

Well this is so ridiculous.
    How about Black Coaches being interviewed for a job that nine times out of ten they know they are not going to get, but they go through the process anyway. Sometimes the meetings are more about finding out who this person is character wise. I'm know some owners had one coach in mind and wound up with someone else. All because that person blew them away during their meeting. You never know. That is why you go through the process. If Cowher wasn't blown away by the Jets then so be it, but any intelligent man who knows he is in a good position is willing to listen. Problem here was that the Jets weren't talking.

11. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

I feel that the guy just didn't want to coach this year and the rest of the stuff is just bullsh!t.
    Let is go already...

We all know our owner is an assh@le, there is nothing new here.

We need a h/c who wants to be here.

12. DMSMaven

DMSMaven Member

Thank You .... I absolutely agree .... He is not the only coach out there, not even sure that he is that good a fit for us .... I am comfortable going with more than a few of the choices out there .... Just because he was successful in Pitt, does not make him a lock to be successful here

13. favre4mvp2008

favre4mvp2008 New Member

I love how all the Favre-bashers conveniently ignore this quote from Chowher:

He added, "The Jets never really contacted me until a lot of this flurry took place. When it did, I was respectful. I need to get some kind of closure to the situation, one way or the other because I didn't want it to linger."

Asked if he was scared away by Brett Favre, Cowher said, "No, are you kidding me?"

14. favre4mvp2008

favre4mvp2008 New Member

He added, "The Jets never really contacted me until a lot of this flurry took place. When it did, I was respectful. I need to get some kind of closure to the situation, one way or the other because I didn't want it to linger."

Asked if he was scared away by Brett Favre, Cowher said, "No, are you kidding me?"

15. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

Why is everyone so obsessed with this dude???

He was given 15 years and coached a series of incredibly talented teams for one of the most storied franchises in sports. Unlike Belichick, John Fox, Bill Walsh, or the like, he never completely outclassed or outcoached an opponent in a postseason game. His '06 team was the most talented in the field by a pretty long margin, and Kimo von Oelhoffen basically handed them the first game by tearing up Carson Palmer's knee. A lot of people don't remember how dangerous the Bengals were that year; it was the team that had an incredible offense and a pretty good defense led by Odell Thurman before he got locked up. I will always believe that if Palmer played all 4 quarters, the Steelers would've never had a ring.

This guy is not some brilliant football mind. Give anyone 15 years with that kind of talent and they're bound to win by pure statistical probability once they enter the playoffs. It's probably about to happen to one of either Jeff Fisher or John Fox, who coach the teams that are most likely to end up in the Super Bowl. Even a blind squirrel's gonna find a nut eventually.

16. Don

Wrong. He is the only coach out there. The rest are wannabe coaches.

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Its total BS. They needed to meet Woody to tell him no. "F" Cowher and "F" jet bashers

18. Don

So, instead of assumptions it uses all hearsay and that's ok?

19. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Agreed. Bottom line: We lost out on even a CHANCE of getting Cowher simply because the front office and ownership mishandled its approach. Amazing.

20. melikon

melikon New Member

Tanny's basically proclaiming that he's the "H.N.I.C."