Woody/Cowher Situation MERGED

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jan 6, 2009.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I look at it in the same light as the Jets failure to make the playoffs this season:

There is plenty of blame to go around. You can blame all the players, and all the coaches to some degree. At the end of the day however, the one ultimately responsible for the overall failure was Mangini. Thus, he was fired and rightly so. If the players truly cared so much about him like is reported in the papers, they should've played harder.

So, yeah, Tanny and whomever can get blame, but at the end of the day, Woody is the one to blame for the overall failure.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

3. ToddisGod

ToddisGod Banned

why has not anyone mentioned we probably should revisit this and have woody call Cowher again, if it is such a dead issue how come Cowher wants to keep bringing this up. I think this is an ego thing and a call to Cowher again now might field a different answer.

4. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

So he knew before he left that Cowher would want to talk to him? Man, he should be a mind reader. Wasn't it reported that Cowher originally turned down the Jets and didn't even want to interview?

I'm so glad to see so many Jets fans are sheep and buy into everything the scumbags in the media report.

5. ToddisGod

ToddisGod Banned

call him now,
    big ego's want to be stroked, I think Cowher keeps bringing it up because he does not want the possibility to die. Everyone is assuming this is a dead issue, I don't believe it is. Would it be so bad if they turned us down again. big fucking deal.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Fuck that prick.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Control first....and then they leaked 3 more reasons....

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

After what we, the fans , had to deal with, this season, he shoulda sent us on a fuckin' vacation!

I think, like another article said, Cowher was just curious to see what kinda $$ he was going to get, so he has something to use as leverage, next year.
    I think he still has 1 daughter, who's a senior, and wants to wait till she graduates, before uprooting the family.

#68 Jersey Joe 67, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I think U to are forgetting that there are telephones everywhere in the world these days or that Tanny as Woodys surrogate could have called Cowher also

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I love how the article got a bolded part, but it wasn't this particular part:

What would people have said if Woody was there, offered Cowher $15M to coach the team, and he still said no, and even worse, went elsewhere for a little more, springboarding off our offer?

Everyone wants to find a reason to hate the organization and everyone in it. In terms of Cowher, he's using everyone. He wants to know what people really think of him. He has zero intentions of returning to coaching this year. An offer would have to blow his mind to make him change it.

As for people getting pissed off about Woody's vacation, why? Did everyone take a vacation last summer, even though almost everyone's companies are having a rough time? Did you not deserve the rest? Hell, if I were Woody, I'd still be on vacation somewhere tropical. It's friggin cold in NY, and there's no good reason to be here.

I'd bet money that if Cowher met with Tanny, and Tanny said "Hey Woody, get back to Florham Park immediately, if we put a number on the table we can have Cowher," Woody would have been back that night.

But of course that doesn't leave any room to hate Woody, so it surely can't be true.

11. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

Cowher said he resigned with CBS for next season.

12. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I totally agree. Who in the hell would want to be interviewed by the guy you are replacing without the guy that's hiring you actually there?

13. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

How about we start getting people here who want to fucking be here? Stop running around begging these big name guys to come here if they have to be convinced, all they are going to do is get a paycheck and leave again. Get somebody who is going to be a Jet and win with the Jets, not cash in on what they did in Green Bay, Pittsburgh or anywhere else.

14. championjets69

I think U ought to hear Cowhers own words on the WFAN site

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

16. championjets69

From Cowhers words it appears Cowher wnated to be here but that the Woody/Tanny combo did not want him if U listened to the interview today on the Fan

17. baamf

baamf Active Member

Some perspective perhaps...

http://nyj.scout.com/2/827599.html

Jets did NOTHING wrong on Cowher front

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Jan 5, 2009

In regards to the Jets handling of the pursuit of Bill Cowher, they did nothing wrong. A Daily News report got the criticism ball rolling.

"Bill Cowher wasn't happy when he was told that he wouldn't be granted a sit-down with owner Woody Johnson, who is out of the country until Monday," wrote Rich Cimini. "Cowher knew from the outset it was going to be a longshot with the Jets - in his mind, GM Mike Tannenbaum was the issue, not QB Brett Favre - but not being able to hook up with Johnson was the last straw."

A friend of Cowher told JC early last week that Cowher wasn't coaching in 2009 under any circumstances. NFL Network's Adam Schefter had a similar report.

And then Cowher made it official on the CBS' NFL Pregame Show.

So all the criticism of the Jets for botching the pursuit of Cowher is a moot point, unless Cowher was talking out of both sides of his mouth.

If Cowher had decided to sit out 2009, what difference does it make it Woody Johnson was out of the country or not last week?

Cowher told the Kansas City Chiefs and Cleveland Browns he wasn't coaching this year when they approached him. In those cases, he told the owner's, in the Jets case, he told someone else.

This is a non-story, and it's time for the Jets to stop taking it on the "chin" over this.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Who would want to be here?

19. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

In the WFAN interview, he didn't seem to hedge. He was asked that question directly ("Is there ANYTHING Woody Johnson can do at this point?") and he answered no.

20. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

"Cowher, who was willing to discuss the job with the Jets only if Johnson was present, then had his agent call back the Jets and withdraw his name from consideration."

Same exact issue being discussed in the other thread.

My opinion is, if this is true, Cowher is wrong. In fact, I'll go a step further: who the hell is he to dictate to the NY Jets who he should have an interview with?

Woody Johnson made it abundantly clear... very clear, that he did not want a "full control" hiree. He stated this in the Press Conference on that Monday morning in which he announced Mangini's firing.

If this Cowher tift took place after that, BFD. Johnson left town for whatever reason and let his GM handle matters while he was gone. If Cowher called up and got Tannenbaum on the phone and Tanny said Woody's not here, but that doesn't matter because you'll need to talk to me, and then Cowher throws a shit fit and "removes his name," so be it!

The days of "full control" should be over with anyway. I agree with Woody... in today's NFL there no one mand who can handle all those responsibilties and handle them all well. Screw Cowher.