It not Farve.. its the WRs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jaybny, Jan 5, 2009.

1. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

Coles' stats
    Rec Yards TD
    70 850 7

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Have to agree. I was in favor of the trade, and I liked a lot of the things he brought early on, but down the stretch he basically sucked. His read in the last 5 games were awful, his judgment and overcompensation were awful, and I am ready to move on in retrospect. At first I signed on to junc's 'Favre OWES us' thread, but I don't hold that opinion anymore. We just need him to go.

3. Determination#4

Determination#4 New Member

As I have said before:

Brett did not have a problem passing last year in Green Bay and

Chad did not have a problem passing this year in Miami so:

Why then, did they "both" have a problem passing in New York ?

It's really time you stopped looking at "every QB" as your problem here as it obviously goes a little deeper than the QB position.

4. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

So when Cotchery or Coles appeared to run a different route then Favre expected it's their fault? So you expect us to believe that Coles and Cotchery who have been in this offense for 3 years know it LESS then Favre?

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Fair point.

I don't know how much I want to blame the wideouts, but one thing I am pretty sure of is that they don't scare anybody.

6. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

It was my fault the Jets sucked..

7. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

truth brotha. im not sayin favre is god by any means but its not just him

8. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

9. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Put Ratcliff in and be done with it. Look what rookie QB's have done for the Falcons and Ravens. But the Jets have to teach the rookies that takes 3 years, then by that time the Jets trade them and they are winning in a different uniform.

10. jaybny

jaybny Banned

Yes. its their fault

yes, its their fault. They have been so used to running routes based on Chad's arm strength. They have been unable to make the adjustments for Farves arm strength... they have been exposed as 3rd sting WRs.

11. abyzmul

What route should they have been running when he threw it 3 yards directly into the hands of a Dolphins defensive lineman? Look, it's not all on Favre, but it's partially due to him losing ability to read a play and capitalize on it because his skills have diminished and he doesn't adjust to that. Plus, his arm didn't look too fucking strong on those sorry lobs he had been picked off on so many times in the final 5 games. He's not the same anymore, the experiment failed.

12. Big Blocker

Again, I am not going on anything I see that others don't, but I still am having trouble factoring in that Favre actually played quite well in 07. He just turned to crap all of a sudden?

13. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

he hadn't exactly lit the world on fire the previous 2 years. maybe he just got old really fast. the switch of teams and systems couldn't have helped. its obviously more than favre, but its not like he was making awesome throws that our were just being dropped.

14. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Kellen was the starter most of last season and they didn't have trouble running routes for him. Coles has also played for Ramsey and Vinny so I really don't think that's the issue.

15. abyzmul

Maybe you should re-watch the games and take into account his decision-making down the stretch. No, it wasn't all on Favre. He had very little time to prepare for the new offense and he had spent all offseason playing pick-up ball with a bunch of high school kids - his body was not in football shape and his arm certainly wasn't in football shape. He didn't know any of his new teammates until 3 weeks before the season started. And now he's about to be 40 years old and needs to really get into football shape. If he comes back, he needs to be ready and work harder than he has ever worked. I don't see that happening. Not for a team in turmoil like this one.

16. Big Blocker

Well I do watch the games, so we'll just let that one go, but you may be right about the lack of off season prep. My point was just that it was likely something like that, and not just turning a year older after what was a good year.

17. abyzmul

Either way, after what I saw this year, I am not at all confident that there's anything worth moving forward with Favre under center. He provided a lot of fun moments this year, and he brought to the table a lot of things we'd been lacking at the QB position for years, I just don't know if it's worth it. And I'm leaning towards 'not'.

18. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

And Brett Favre was the starter all of last season in Green Bay and Driver, Jennings, Jones, and Martin didn't have trouble running routes for him. In fact, they had far more success than Coles & Cotchery had with Clemens (to the tune of 2nd rank passing offense after Patriots, and 12-4 record vs 4-12, with a weak running game to complement passing). And, for whatever reason, these same receivers had much less success this year with Rodgers (even though he statistically was better than Favre this year).

Are you getting the point yet ... that your logic is pretty flawed if you want to draw the conclusions, and that if your "method" has any use at all, it's to arrive at the opposite conclusion you seem so anxious to arrive at?

19. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I'm aware. That was also before he shredded his bicep.

Obviously, we had a first year starter playing behind speed bumps.

Statistically, the WRs played almost as well or better than they did last season. I believe the Packers also lost part of their dominating offensive line.

My point is that our WR didn't run poor routes because they were "so used" to Chad's arm strength, which is a ridiculous assertion. In addition, Coles has witnessed a change in QB almost every season he's been in the league, so it's quite a stretch to assume that he is incapable of adjusting. I wasn't bashing your boy Favre; I understand our predictable offensive schemes hurt everyone, and Brett probably lost a lot of his arm strength when he tore his bicep.

#39 GBA, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  20. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

So now I'm confused. Is Favre washed up and completely sucky, or is he just hurt? If it's that he's hurt ... then why are we having this debate at all? If he wants to come back and is healthy, and you think the problem this year is that he got hurt in November, then ... shouldn't we want him back?

Actually, I just read a grading of the Packers yesterday, and I dispute your claim. Their team YPG dropped significantly, I think the ranking whent from 2nd to 10th, and specifically for the receivers their YAC went way, way down.

If you care to back up your assertions, I'll be open to hearing it.

Regarding OL, you mean Mark Tauscher's injury? I'm not sure what else you might mean. Since that happened I think the week before the Packers were mathematically eliminated, I'm not sure what the relevance to their success this year is.