jan 1 newsday says players felt favre was distant. We botched the chad/mangini jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Jan 1, 2009.

1. cnc66

cnc66 New Member

...not any kind of help gameday, and Tuna doesn't travel

2. mainejetsfan

mainejetsfan New Member

The pack mentality that it's now all Favre's fault is a bit much. I was at the Thursday New England game. He wasn't distant, disconnected from the team then. I didn't hear complaints when they were 8-3. Yes, he played poorly the last 5 games. But it wasn't Favre who stopped defending the run, who couldn't cover the tight end, who led a terrible pass defense. It wasn't Favre to took Keller, the receiver with whom he had the best connection, off the field. It wasn't Favre who put together game plans that demonstrated no ability to make use of Washington. He bears responsibility for his poor play, but the issues go much deeper than him. And there's nothing that will convince me that Pennington would have thrived in the environment that would have surrounded the Jets had he played this year.

3. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

Nope man, people don't listen because is better to bitch about Chad now that the Dolphins' experiment worked better than ours with Favre. KC was winning the qb battle in the TC according to the news reports from "insiders" at that time, as he won the battle to be the starter last season despite not having better numbers than Chad.

And taling about "ounces of proof" what "ounces of proof" have the insiders been giving us when they say Cowher didn't go to Jets because of Favre, or that Mangini didn't want him there, or that Woody only wants to sell PSLs?. Absolutely nothing and yet people believe it as if they are the absolute truth.

The thing is that we are getting seriousy paranoid (well, we've always been, we're Jets fans), but this time it seems to have gone over the top, with finger pointing everywhere and blaming even the water-boy. The truth is that no one in this forum (me included) knows anything about what happened in the Jets camp and everything at this point is speculation.

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I'd give back the Pats game and take wins in the Oakland, San Francisco, Seattle and Miami games.

5. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

You just wrote exactly what I've been thinking about this board for the last 4 days. The conspiracy theories that people are developing are crazy. Sometimes I think that people actually make up shit just to post on this board.

As you wrote, noone knows everything that has happened, except for woody and MT. Good point.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

His own office? Never went to dinner with anyone?

I was a HUGE Favre supporter up until now, but fuck that. I DO NOT WANT HIM BACK. This is such bullshit. Who does he think he is? Seriously. Too fuckn' good to hang out with your teammates? Bullshit.

7. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I haven't seen one source ever that says Clemens was winning the QB contest in training camp.

8. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

Ok, this is what I found after two minutes searching in Google, it may not be exactly "winning the battle" yet (have to searchmore), but perfectly sums up the Jets fans relationship with the media and the way we always behave.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/05/qb-battle-all-about-winning.html
    http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/07/29/jets-training-camp-battle-chad-pennington-vs-kellen-clemens-v/

And... go back to the Chad vs Clemens discussions in his forum to see what was the tone of the posts and the perception of the posters

9. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Repeat after me: the only reason Favre was brought to the Jets was to sell PSLs and JERSEYS. The fan scam worked so well in '07, that Woody wants him back in '08. Woody is a business guy - he's all about the money. If Favre did not make him money in '07, he would not welcome him back in '08. There are very few owners in the league who really give a fuck about winning. This is a business and money is the #1 priority.

10. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Great post, and no doubt about it. The hits Farve took in the Chargers game alone would have put Chad out of the season.

11. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

Don't believe everything you read from the media or that is posted on here. Unless someone from the Jets organization confirms it, I don't believe anything.

I highly doubt he had his own office or that he was distant from the team It just doesn't make any sense.

There is so much crap coming out about this team right now that I would bet that 90% of it is made up by people trying to get a rise out of the fans and people on this board.

12. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

In case you haven't heard, there's some quarterback stuff going on with the New York Jets.

The dying Brett Favre rumors aside, Chad Pennington sounds like he believes Kellen Clemens is the Jets' unspoken preference to win the training-camp battle.

Even if that's true, Clemens hasn't been cooperating.

Jets coach Eric Mangini conceded Clemens has been shaky to start camp. Clemens threw another interception Sunday in 11-on-11 drills. He has tossed one every day so far.

Pennington hasn't thrown any.

"You never want to see mistakes," Mangini said during Sunday's press conference. "You spend a long time working on making sure there aren't mistakes. But there's been many mistakes.
    ---------------------------------------

both Clemens and CP looked out of synch on the days I was there. Neither one was stepping up much to claim the starting spot. chad ended up in a good situation for him. that doesnt mean he would have had just as good a year in NY, since there are so many other factors involved, including the coaching.

Looking thru the first article you linked, it claimed "the Jet organization" was pretty much sold on not wanting Chad to start. I dont know who that was, but it was clearly the team's decision to deal him, as they had had it with him for whatever reasons.

The biggest mistake was not focusing on the running game to be the motor of the offense in december. This team, behind Faneca (a better run blocker) and the year Jones was having, plus Richardson and Leon, should have been powering the ball and not rely on Favre throwing it around so much towards the end of the year.

And lest anyone forget and think that the ints were the only reason the Jets collapsed- the STs were very inconsistent, and the defense was not getting it done. were it not for one lucky play against Buffalo, they'd have finished 0-5.

13. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

There you go, thanks a lot!

14. kennyo07

kennyo07 New Member

here here and in fact I was tracking this like a hawk in the early parts of the summer camp and KC had way more int's than Chad. The proof is in the beat writers blogs. Go back and look at late July and early Aug. I think KC had Penny beat like a 8 to 1 in int's before Favre was signed.

No one knows who would have started, it would have come down to preseason game results.

15. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Did the psls go on sale in 2008 when Favre was brought in? And whats Woody get from a jersey sale?

16. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

You may be right, but that's very far from the recent speech of Favre ruining the Mangini/Pennington era, if there ever was one.

17. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Do you honestly think the Jets would be running shotguns and empty backfields on third and two if Chad was the QB? Not to mention we would never have attempted the amount of deep passes we did which also ratcheted up the bruises on Favre.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And we would have probably had a losing record because we didn't.

19. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

You do realize Chad Pennington was in that locker room for 8 years, and Favre only for 22 weeks, right?

Do you always emerge as a leader in the companies you work for after 22 weeks there?

I think Rhodes is right though, Favre needs to make & live up to commitments for offseason if he wants to come back.

20. forge289

forge289 New Member

haha there are some crazy winds in the meadowlands. anybody think chads arm was not strong enough to do well in the wind? it's a lot less brutal in south florida than it is in jersey. just my .02