Sources: Cowher didn't want to coach Favre

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sunnygs97, Dec 31, 2008.

1. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Shannahan figured out the glaring weaknesses and showed the rest of the league that we were doing it with smoke and mirrors. Losing to the teams we lost to down the stretch proves that point. We are mediocre and should have been done in the buffalo game.

2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Let me add a year of on the field development for the young QBs on the roster to this list.

3. FOURTHANDLONG

I am one of the biggest anti Chad as our Qb posters on this board but with that said he had a great season. The reason I wanted him gone will be shown this weekend. When he plays against the Ravens Defense the fairytale will end. I want a Qb that can bring us a Championship and he nor Farve is the guy.

4. FOURTHANDLONG

Add 2 if neither of the Qb's on the Roster develop add three years to the list.

5. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

I dont know if I buy into this. Yesterday it was up to Favre if he wanted to come back, then a day later, Woody decides its up to our future HC? I think its more than that. I do find it odd that a day ago Cowher wanted to come out to listen, then abruptly says "no thanks".... something else is cooking.

6. Joe Willie White Shoes

I agree that the CS has some of the blame, but Vince Lombardi could not win with a QB who played as badly as Favre played down the stretch. No team can win in the NFL with a QB who throws for 2 TDs and 9 picks over 5 games. The lion's share of the blame goes to Favre!!! That is why no established coach wants to come here. Isn't it clear??? What more do you need to see??? Besides - a season is not 11 games, it is 16 games. And Favre stunk for all but 5 games. Who cares about the Titans and the Pats now???? The Jets can't attract a coach now because nobody want to touch Favre and you are looking back at meaningless games from November????? Talk about denial!!!

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

If that was the case, then Pennington should have been traded and the Jets should have gone with one of the young QBs this year. I would have accepted this without liking it, but the Dolphins would not be division champs right now and the Jets might have a QB or at least know they had to go into the draft to get one. Now what do we have?

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Hardly. Pennington is not as close to the end of his career here, but the franchise had already decided to move on...Favre gets you closer to where we were going

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

And where is it that the Jets are going with Favre except down the toilet???????

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Well up until the coaching staff completely lost the team, we were headed to the playoffs and beyond.

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Yes the CS lost the team, but the great HOF QB should have been able to, just once, lift the team on his shoulders and win a game down the stretch. But the great Favre was incapable of doing that. In fact, he was putrid, which clearly contributed to the loss of the team by the CS. It has come out that many Jet players were not happy with Favre. The CS had to go, but Favre never ever ever should have been brought here. And now we have a huge problem on our hands and the Packers, even after a 6-10 season are laughing and happily taking their draft pick, having moved on.

12. FOURTHANDLONG

That is what I wanted to do from day one. I did not want either of them. To me Farve was the better pick becuause he might have had one more Jan left in him but he is done as well. Even if we made the playoffs it would have prob ended this weekend anyway. The problem is the impatience of a fan base to have the team rebuilt from the bottom up the right way. All of their crying got us in a worse mess than going with the young guys from the beginning. If Farve comes back this Franchise will be set back for three years behind this mess. Not to mention we should have traded Coles and Ellis when we could have gotten somehthing for them. Ellis made one play all year and Coles bitched all year long. Notice how the Afc Champs got rid of a future HOF De in Jason Taylor and still won. They guy in Mia has a clue. Get rid of them a year to early as a year to late and get nothing. And the Gholston Fiasco is a whole other story.

13. Phear

Phear New Member

you must live in wi then? i doubt packer fans are laughing at a 6-10 season. If they are laughing at anything it's our fan base and how quickly jets fans turn on their team when things go bad. And chad was not going to be traded, noone would trade for him when the teams knew we had to release him in a day. use your head before you type bs. thanks

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Ellis has stolen his pay check ever since he got that big contract in 04. He should have been let go years ago. That was another blunder.

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree Brett has to go, however the CS asked him to do something his previous HC's asked him not to do and that is to do it all himself,, and I'm not just looking at the season up to 8-3, I saw the same thing all Jet fans saw at the end of the season and that was no pressure on QB against second stringers, what about the 4 wide receiver sets on a sleet filled field and double reverses with 2 inches of ice on the ball, the lack of hard hitting defensive players against no name RB's.....none of these things were in Brett's control, however that being said he should not return.

16. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

Is Favre also responsible for global warming, the economy, and world hunger?

Where does this Anti-Favre crap end

17. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Favre collapsed down the stretch, led the league in interceptions, cost 12 million in cap space, cost the Jets a 3rd round pick, indirectly led to a Dolphins resurgence, and now potentially cost us an elite coach?

This is truly the gift that keeps on giving- a washed up soon to be 40 year old QB is holding this franchise hostage. Correct or not, thats the impression most Jets fans have. I'm sure his reception in TC if he comes back won't be as pleasant as it was this year.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Do you watch these games?!?!?!?!?

we were exposed by NE, even though we actually won the game.

19. rillo

rillo New Member

Yes that was the down fall, and they didn't make any adjustments after that for the remainder of the season.

20. Bozomojo

Bozomojo New Member

I must say, that if this is true it would be a big mistake by the Jets organization. Brett Favre has a maximum of one year left and Bill Cowher could provide the stability and direction that the Jets organization needs for many years to come.