Cowher turned down Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jtrain, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The more I think about the more I am convinced at just how right he is. What he is probably really saying is that they are still doing the same thing they have always done by keeping Tannenbaum and bringing back Favre. He was once interested in it a couple of days ago. Why would anybody want this job?

2. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Who said it? Was it out of Cowher's mouth or some radio personality?

3. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Why didn't we just keep Mangini?

4. Ralphw

Ralphw New Member

I agree 100% Thats my point. Who would want to come here other than a Mangini type with no experience.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Because he sucked.

6. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

That had nothing to do with it.

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

It was actually said on the news broadcast portion of the show, of all places, where they go to the sports news.

8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

But was it something Cowher said, or just a reason the station fabricated to make a story?

9. allan1

allan1 Active Member

No doubt we have historic dysfunction...but things have been much better overall since Parcells came here a decade ago.

Cowher knows he doesn't have what it takes to run the ship himself. He's a yeller and screamer who never had full control in Pittsburgh and was always given the best coordinators. Cowher could never get the job done himself. He's no Belichick, he's no Parcells or Shanahan

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

He didn't really say that, did he?

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You smell that bullshitty scent too, huh?

12. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

Because he never wanted Favre, and that's all Woody cares about.

13. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Just dont understand it. All because you want 1 more year off ? I Think he had no interest in us from the beginning he's not a stupid guy, He knows our Franchise is a joke and we have a money hungry turd as a owner. Guess well get either Shottenheimer or Spagnaulo. I Hate the fact of getting Shott sr. rather go with Spag and who cares switching to the 4-3 all our guys are originally 4-3 players who just recently switched to 3-4. They suck at it anyway so might aswell switch back. Get Spags!

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Well, truth be, I've said as much forever, and truly believe it. Certainly nothing we've seen recently would suggest anything to the contrary.

Just can't see what good it does for someone like Cowher to verbalize it.

15. Section 227. Row 5

It was in the news broadcast and stated, as best I can remeber it, that "It is reported that one of the reasons Bill Cowher decided against coming to the Jets was their hystoric dysfunction." I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that ESPN had reported it and they were repeating that report, as in, "ESPN reported that one of the reasons... blah, blah..."

I'm sorry, I can't make it any mor specific than that, but I do know what I heard. In fact, it jumped at me over the radio because I was quite shocked (as shocked as anyone here) that this would come out of Cowher's lips. But I am quite sure that the report indicated that this was "one of the reasons" why Cowher decided not to come. It did not say Cowher actually said this to a reporter, nor was this some readio personality speculating that he said it. The report said that it had been reported (I thought I did hear that it came from ESPN) that this is one of the reasons for Cowher's rejection of the Jets.

Ridiculous if true. And again, if he actually said that, I'm really quite surprised at his lack of professionalism, unless he told this to someone else off the record and they let it leak.

16. Section 227. Row 5

Alio, I certainly hope you don't think I made this up. I do know it was announced on 1050AM. Whether it's bullshit or not, I know what I heard and I now it was announced during the sports news portion, not coming from a radio peronality. That doesn't mean it's so and doesn't mean that Cowher said this publicly and it doesn't account for the fact that someone could have gotten it wrong, but that someone is not me. I did hear this on the news.

17. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

NY Jets = Historic Dysfunction - Bill Cowher [​IMG]

18. Section 227. Row 5

And here's Gangreengirl's post, 5 minutes before mine, so perhaps she can shed some light on it also. She must have heard the same news blurb that I heard and obviously beat me to the punch. I was reiterating what she had just posted in the post above mine.

19. Section 227. Row 5

Okay, Found The Legitimate Source

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/1050espnradio/blog?id=3480300

Cowher Out

December 31, 2008, 8:41 AM

Greg Fiume/Getty Images
    Bill Cowher is now out of the running to be the Jets' coach, the team announced. For all the reasons that have been reported on 1050 and elsewhere, Cowher did not think the Jets were the right fit at this time. Cowher listened to the Jets, but, in the end - or the beginning, for that matter - he decided not to come to the Jets.

One factor that has not been reported is that Cowher had serious concerns about the historic dysfunction of the franchise.

With Cowher out, Marty Schottenheimer and Giants defensive coordinator, Steve Spagnuolo, are two candidates. Spagnuolo is scheduled to be interviewed this Saturday. The fired Mike Shanahan could also emerge as a possibility.

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Let me clarify. I think by now you know I very much respect you as a poster. I've never disputed a single thing you've reported, and I wasn't doing so now either.

What I meant was that the smell of bullshit was wafting along on the breeze from ESPN studios, not your keyboard.

I've always made it clear that I hate the media and I don't trust a single thing I hear from it. Now if I heard a clip of Cowher specifically saying "The Jets are a dysfunctional franchise" I'd be pissed off too. However, no such clip exists, and even if he did say it, he said it to a friend much in the same way we would, and it shouldn't necessarily be held against him. (He is, after all, just a football fan like the rest of us right now.)

I take stuff like this report, just like all of the Coles reports, with a grain of salt. As I say every time, and every time I'm proven right in the Coles dramas: wait for the real story because the original one is always, without exception, proven false.

But people tend to overreact to stories. I get it. I don't agree with it, and I blame it as the reason we get sensationalistic media, but I get it.

I hope this explains better. No offense towards you was meant whatsoever.