***Bill Cowher --- News Thread***

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MBGreen, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just pray that this Owner and his GM are better at changing plans in midstream than their CS was during the season..

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

You got it.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Favre is destroying next years team as well. He needs to retire right now or at least be told by the Jets he is no longer in their plans. It is very likely the reason behind Cowher passing and he probably won't be the only coach to turn them down because of Favre.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I agree, who wants to be told what their team is going to be?

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Cowher is an idiot. Have fun coaching in a bullshit city next year.

6. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Yep, we gave Penninigton away (although I did read somewhere that Mangini did not want Favre on the team, it was shoved down his throat by Woody) and inherited cancer. Really good move, Woody!

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'm disappointed. The news release says that "material" thing were never even discussed... money, structure, length of contract, etc.

It's a very curious decision on Cowher's part if they got no further than that. And I can't imagine Cowher supposedly being within one year of returning to coaching and NOT exploring all the details of what the Jets are offering.

And as TommyGreen said above, "Good luck coaching in some bullshit town next year." Why would Cowher want to wind up in Kansas City or Cinncinatti or soime such place when his daughters are both out here on the East Coast. I don't get it. It seemed like a perfect fit for him.

8. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

New York Post Reports Cowher Turned Off by Favre

The New York Post reports that Cowher was turned off by Favre.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_...-cowher-didnt-want-to-coach-favre?eref=fromSI

Bill Cowher informed the team last night he is not interested in their head-coaching job, and it could be because he doesn't want to coach Brett Favre. The former Steeler coach was the clear-cut favorite to replace Eric Mangini among Jets fans, and the team's ownership. Now, Woody Johnson must move on to Plan B. Talks between the Jets and Cowher never advanced past the preliminary stage. Sources close to Cowher said he did not want to have Favre as his quarterback, and that he also wanted to bring in people he was familiar with to handle personnel. A source familiar with Cowher's thinking said before last night's decision came down that the former Steeler boss would have to receive assurances from the Jets that the 39-year-old Favre no longer was in the picture before agreeing to take control.

New York Post

9. Section 227. Row 5

I was afraid of that. I also read in this morning's Star-Ledger that Woody Johnson made it clear that he believed handling all the responsibilities of coaching AND the GM job was "just too much" for any one person to handle. Between the Favre thing and that, those two items are probably what killed the deal before it got started.

Still, I think it's a foolish move on Cowher's part. This was a chance to work in one of the most high-end cities in the world and still be very close to his daughters. It seemed like a natural. I'm surprised both Cowher and the Jets couldn't make the concessions necessary to get the deal done.

BTW... is there any reason why the other Cowher thread can't be put in this thread, so we're not jumping all over the place today?

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The Mods have merged these threads multiple times and people are STILL creating new ones.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Everyone thinks they have some original new insight to this trainwreck I guess..

12. Section 227. Row 5

It's a pretty hot topic this morning. It'll eventually all settle into one. but in the meatime, you wind up posting in 2-3 different threads.

During the Favre acquisition, I actually wound up "copying and pasting" thoughts into about 4-5 different threads. But it's often frustrating to carry on conversations when you can't remember which doggone thread you were in because they all seem the same after a while.