It's MARTYBALL, believe me...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Dec 30, 2008.

1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Marty got a raw deal in SD. I was living there at the time. Most Charger fans I know feel the same way.

The GM in S.D. wanted his boy Rivers in there, and Marty wanted to stick with Brees. In the power struggle AJ Smith won out, canned Marty after a 14-2 season and now look at what you have: Norv Turner and a bunch of underachieving Superstars "winning" a Division at 8-8.

2. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

I would probably do the same if they hired this guy. The guy is a post-season loser and we need to find someone else that's new to the job. Spagnuolo is probably the best option. Here's hoping we get him.

3. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Great. Let's go the route of "young hot coach" again while their are 3 hall of fame coaches sitting out there.

Okay.

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Not really comparable. Mangini was coming off 1 season of being a DC and his defense wasn't all that great regardless of injuries.

Spagnuolo is coming off two seasons of a lights-out defense that has had its own problems due to retirement and injuries.

Different horses, different colors.

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Learn from history. The Jets have appointed 14 head coaches. 12 of them were new to the role or had previously had moderate or no success in it. Those 12 coaches combined to achieve nothing.

The other two hires I shouldn't need to mention.

Wasn't it Einstein who said the definition of madness was repeating the same process over and over and expecting the results to differ?

6. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I am pretty confident with time and opportunity he can make our team an elite team in the AFC, he's done it in other places with worse to start with. Once that high, a lucky roll could get us home a SB.

7. Lunatic

Lunatic New Member

I would rather stick pins in my eyes then watch Marty ball.

Proven choke job loser........maybe he is a good fit for this franchise.

A move for Marty is one for mediocrity and yet another regime that can't challenge the Patriots.

Bring the fear to the NY JETS, Bring Mike Shanahan, I don't see why the Pats are the only ones who can have an ass-hole for a coach, winning ass-hole that is......

8. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

That's a great point and I agreed with you when you posted it earlier today as something that deserves consideration. Actually, as we talk about it right now, I suddenly do not want a guy w/o HC experience...but most importantly, you've inspired me to do some research:

List of Super Bowl Winning Head Coaches ("Y" means they were a HC somewhere else before getting the job):

I'll leave out Lombardi and Landry for legendary purposes. So out of the 38 remaining Super Bowls, only 12 have been won by retread HCs.

This means that over 2/3 of all Super Bowls have been won by coaches in their first stint as top dog.

I would think, after reading this, that the stats you posted about the Jets is more due to inept ownership picking the wrong coach, than it is a function of prior head coaching experience.
    ------------------------------

The flip side, of course, is that 10 of the last 12 SB winning HCs have had prior head coaching experience, so an argument could be made there. However the last guy to do it before Shanahan did it in 1998 was Shula back in '74.

-------------------------------

It also doesn't change my opinion that Ecko's "young hot coach" argument is bunk.

Bring on Spags if necessary.

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I have Charger tix and I know I'd rather have Marty in there. It was much easier to stub hub the tix when they were winning more than 8 games. I honestly don't know how I would feel with Marty as the coach of the Jets but I know that the Chargers really didn't have that good of a team before Marty got there with essentially the same personel and they aren't very good without him with the same team that was there while he was coaching.

10. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Remember when the Yanks hired Torre? Boy did that go over well with the fans. Torre ended up being a winner.

Marty can help this team. He can coach. A report I read today stated Brian Shottenheimer was overruled by Mangini this season when things got tight. The offense was different than the past two seasons, maybe the report has some truth.

I still want Cowher but I wouldn't mind Marty as a second choice.

11. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

Not a chance.. Torre took over a pretty good team, the foundation was laid out by Buck..

Cowher, Shann, BB, Spags, and then Marty..

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

3 of 5 is 60% and "most" especially when the last time we missed 2 straight years happened right before Herm and the next time it would happen came right after Herm.

You are comparing the greatest franchise in the history of sports to the Jets? Come one, let's be realistic. You can't get to the SB w/o getting to postseason. I'll take my chances in div rd games and conf title games rather than missing the playoffs.

and that means what exactly? Being a great coordinator doesn't always translate to being a great HC. he may be good, he may suck. Belichick was the best DC in football and he sucked in Cleveland. Buddy Ryan was a great DC and a bad HC, Bruce Coslet was a great OC w/ Cincy he sucked as a HC for us, Pete Carroll was a very succesful DC for us but he sucked as a HC. The list goes on and on.

13. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

Your Logic is flawed alittle bit.. JJ and Switzer were head coaches in college.. Some others may have been too. So that isn't accurate...