Mike Shanahan as HC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by APK 8, Dec 30, 2008.

1. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

Anyone who says they don't want Shanahan is just being ridiculous. There's a certain group of fan that needs to make themselves feel intelligent by rejecting out of hand players and coaches who are accomplished and obviously top-notch.

Fact is, Shanahan is a hall of fame caliber coach. Just because it might seem too obvious to some people doesn't make it any less true.

2. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

Yeah, and if Buckner plays Mookies ball cleanly...,,. After the fact, its often easy to find one play that if it went the other way, things would have been different. If Buckner makes the play, the Mets still had a great team in 1986--only without the championship. That shouldn't take away from how awesome Davey Johnson managed that year.

3. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

For the cash 1st off. Yes we know he is a GREAT coach in college. He got a raw deal in New England...And he could probably co-exist with Mike T.

We all want energy on the sidelines, he has it...He commands respect, and he's been in the NFL before.

I say the Jets give him a 2nd chance, rather than let him go after that disastrous Fake Spike...The team quit, not Carroll.

4. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

That game was so fixed, i considered not watching football anymore.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Mooch, not Shanahan.

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Look Shanahan just got blindsided by this firing IMO. I thought he was a lock in Denver for the foreseeable future.

He's owed $20 million over the next 3 seasons...Why rush back into a job when you're owed that much money?

7. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank New Member

Actually if Buckner makes the play the game goes into extras.

8. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

:rofl: Only Jets fans could instantly reject Shanahan because he hasn't won a title without John Elway. Newsflash, people: his tenure in Denver would've been the greatest 14 year stretch in Jets history by a longshot.

Cowher wins 1 title in 15 years, he's the best coach in history. Shanahan wins 2, and people wanna know why he never won a 3rd.

#88 kinghenry89, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  9. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

Mariucci would be fine by me, though Shanahan (and Cowher) are still worlds better. All three represent an upgrade over Mangini.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I don't think Shanahan and his snake oil salesman persona could last a year in NY.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Someone just said Mangini is better than Shanahan. 34-17 ring a bell?

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

He is the best HC at running the ball, even better than Marty. He has a different 1,00 yard guys each year.

Plus he is good at selecting tallent.

13. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

I get this wrong sometimes too but I don't think so. Mookies hit gets it tied, and then Mookie scores later to win the game. Other posters?

14. Bizprof

Bizprof New Member

Fuck him. He hasn't been relevant since 1998

15. steviep

steviep Active Member

Shanahan had had 3 losing seasons in 16.
    He hasnt won since Elway?? He made three playoffs with Jake Plummer -- and went 13-3. (Even made one with Brian Griese).

Mooch -- took a great team -- and after two years ran it into the ground. Mooch took a bad team in Detroit and did not make it better.

I dont love the Shanny hasnt made playoffs in last three -- but -- they just werent that good.

Unless you want to Coordinator -- he is way ahead of Mooch and better than Marty Schott. (And of course better than Fassell, Billick, Green, Tice, etc).

Has more SB's than Cowher. (Thats for you, Champ).

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Problem is, bringing Shanahan in means a complete rebuild on both sides of the ball, including the entire O-line switching to a zone-blocking scheme. I don't have the patience for that.

17. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

He beat the Pats in the playoffs a few years ago. I'm still not a fan, though.

18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Just imagine how crazy this board would be right now if we kept Mangini and the names of Shanahan, Parcells (maybe), Cowher, Billick, Shottenheimer, Spags, etc...

19. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

I know. Contending for the playoffs while developing a young quarterback, selecting and bringing along guys like Eddie Royal without interrupting the offense, not missing a beat while having to throw running backs off the street into the starting lineup...that dude is pathetic.

20. Colintes

Colintes New Member

No a wild pitch earlier in Mookies at bat, tied it, Mookies hit won it.

As for Shanahan, fuck Elway, Shanahan would have a future hall of famer in Brett, Brett Ratliff that is.