Brett Favre's last five games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hazmat, Dec 28, 2008.

1. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Ding , ding , ding. We have a winner! When your QB cant find the side of a barn , you run the ball. Some thing's that coaches experience during a game is out of their control , but others are firmly within their control. This was one thing Mangini could have done to get the team moving when the offense went off the tracks. How many of us were screaming for some sign of in game adjustments? The only adjustment I saw during any of our losses was the complete abandonment of the run game and a desperate attempt to force the passing game. I understand in most of those game that was are only choice but what led to that point is completely Mangini's fault.

2. harshreality

harshreality New Member

I think you guys are missing the point. This isn't an anomaly for Favre. Check my post up just a few spots. He's been doing this since 2005. That's with 3 different head coaches (Sherman, McCarthy, and Mangini) and 3 different systems. The one constant is Favre.

3. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Those stats do tell the whole story. The guy thrrw 22 picks. Most of them were of the I'll just chuck it near the reciever and see if he can catch it variety. Most were his fault, he threw most of them in close games, not games where he had to force the ball. Almost every pick was his fault and he could have had 10 more. There is no question in my mind that he was heavily involved in designing the plays and the game plan. Favre was a warrior, now he's just a coach killer.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So, he has been playing with a torn biceps...what else have you got?

5. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

Of course they're going to miss the point--its almost impossible to get guys around here to believe in statistics. But I took a look at your data and found a couple very interesting things:

In 2007, Favre's best year in the last 4, down the stretch he averaged only 25.17 attempts per game. This year was 34.5, and 2006 was 41 and 2005, 36.5.

In other words, when he threw less over the last 6 games, he was much more successful! This corroborates the theory that we should have run more during this time.

He actually had a higher interception rate in 2007 than in 2008 over the last 6 games! But since he threw less in 2007, he had less interceptions. His rate this year was 1 in 20.5 passes and last year, was 1 in 19.25 passes!

His YPA and YPC were the lowest this year however. This is on the coaching staff.

The conclusion that has to be reached is that Favre has tired out consistently over the last 4 years and that McArthy used him properly in 2007 knowing this. That is, he kept his passes down over the last 6 games!

Now, don't try to reason with anyone about this--but its good to know! Holy shit!

6. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

YESSS!!! SOMEONE GETS IT!!!

7. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

BINGO!!!!!!

8. hazmat

hazmat New Member

And Favre got two of those three coaches fired. McCarthy was smart enough to put his foot down and not take Favre back. He knew what would happen.

9. favre4halloffame

favre4halloffame New Member

Sherman got fired because he was a terrible GM, he had no idea how to build a team and kept trying to live off the Holmgren era players until it all just fell apart on him. That 2005 team had no depth, and once the starters got injured (Ahman Green and Javon Walker, and others) there were no replacements. The Packers were also in financial trouble in that they had no cap room. Favre did not cost Sherman his job (in fact Favre said he would retire if Sherman was fired), Sherman cost himself his job.

Also, Favre was a bad QB in 05 and 06, so of course his numbers in the last 5 or 6 games are going to be bad, his numbers were pretty much bad for entire year. His 07 numbers show 3 good games (1 he just played the 1st quarter), 1 average game, and 2 bad games (1 being shortened by injury). I don't really see anything there, just pretty much typical Favre, some good, some bad. I really think injury played a role at the end of 08, although last week was the first time that Favre looked like he was throwing harder. The prior weeks Favre's throws looked bad physically where as last week they actually looked like they had something on it. Favre tried to take control last week at the end of the game and the team didn't follow him, as Coles didn't even move off the line on Favre's last interception.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Wow that's Brooks Bollingeresque.

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Favre didn't just stink for the last five games, he stunk for the last 12. I just saw this stat a few minutes ago:

In Brett Favre's first four games with the Jets, he threw 12 touchdown passes and four interceptions. For the remainder of the season, he threw 10 touchdown passes and 18 interceptions. Now who wants him back??? The truth is that Favre's stats were inflated by the Cardinals game. Take out that game and he was horrible all year. Retire!
    Retire!Retire!Retire!Retire!Retire!Retire!Retire!Retire!

12. hazmat

hazmat New Member

So the bottom line is that with the exception of last year Favre has been horrible for a long time?

13. azpackjetfan

azpackjetfan New Member

Not only are you throwing it, but you're going empty backfield that leaves no doubt. Favre struggles are well documented. But, Mangini's in game decisions were bad as well.

For me it goes back to SF, Keller drops a 3rd and 2. And Mangini punts from the SF 40 after getting a gift possession with the botched onside kick. Go for it on 4th.

Seattle game he kicks a FG though we needed a yard for first down on their 3 or something. That's fine in September. But, you have to play it differently when you trying to lock up a playoff spot in tough weather conditions.

Later in the game he opts to Punt after his kicker hit from 45 as the play clocked expired. Same game, he's throwing the ball all over the place and using some of the worst routes in the process. Timing routes and outs, and shake routes are hard to complete in the snow. No adjustment. Didn't stay with the run. That was the game suited perfect for getting Washington the ball in space and letting him pick up huge chunks of yards.

I know Schottenheimer is the OC, but Mangini has the control of what he wants to do. Either allowing Brian to call plays he doesn't agree with or not even recognizing that the play calling was questionable tells me that he was in way over his head.

Finally, Mangini is supposed to be defensive coach. But the pass defense struggled all year long. Early in the year the run defense was stout. But, as the season progressed, that got just as bad. Whether it was scheme or just total unwillingness to bring creative pressure, he hung that defense out to dry. Favre's struggles only compounded the problem.

14. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

You were 4-12 before Favre "crapped" in

15. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

However he is also responsible for the ascension.

16. harshreality

harshreality New Member

So, the Jets were 10-6 in 2006 with Pennington, in 2007, he gets injured and they have O-line problems, they go 4-12, in 2008, they get Favre and go 9-7. I'm not sure that Favre is the sole source for their ascension since they were better than 9-7 just 2 years ago.

17. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

This is solid evidence why favre should not come back next year. I am sick and tired of everyone from the media to the fans rubbing his junk like he is some kind of god. The man needs to retire. He was injured and put his own ego in front of his team mates. He should have sucked up his pride benched himself.