3-4 to 4-3

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Phyr, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Phyr

Phyr Member

Hypothetically, if we don't get Cowher or a Parcell's puppet and take a guy like Steve Spagnuolo and we have to go back to the 4-3...

1) Who do we keep on our current roster?
    2) What position would they play?
    3) What needs would we have to target in FA/Draft

For everyone's reference (Depth Chart from NYJ.com)

34 DEs
    Shaun Ellis 6-5 285
    Kenyon Coleman 6-5 295
    CJ Mosley 6-2 302
    Mike DeVito 6-3 298

34 DTs
    Kris Jenkins 6-4 349
    Sione Pouha 6-3 325

34 OLBs
    Calvin Pace 6-4 270
    Bryan Thomas 6-4 266
    Vernon Gholston 6-3 264
    Marques Murrell 6-2 250

34 ILB
    David Harris 6-2 243
    Eric Barton 6-2 245
    David Bowens 6-3 265
    Cody Spencer 6-2 245
    Jason Trusnik 6-4 250

Here's what I think:

43 DEs
    Calvin Pace 6-4 270
    Vernon Gholston 6-3 264
    Marques Murrell 6-2 250
    David Bowens 6-3 265
    Shaun Ellis 6-5 285

43 DTs
    Kris Jenkins 6-4 349
    Sione Pouha 6-3 325
    Kenyon Coleman 6-5 295
    CJ Mosley 6-2 302
    Mike DeVito 6-3 298

43 OLBs
    Eric Barton 6-2 245
    Cody Spencer 6-2 245
    Jason Trusnik 6-4 250

43 ILB
    David Harris 6-2 243

Needs:
    1. OLBs: We need LBs that have the ability to get sideline to sideline. If we go back to the 43, we probably have to resign Eric Barton. But we are still missing a starter if we do that.

2. Pass Rush: I think we have good depth at DE if we switch back to the 43 and we can even get rid of Bryan Thomas. Ellis can move to DT during 3 down passing situations like Justin Tuck did last year for the Giants. Pace can give us good versatility and I think Gholston will have better success as a DE than a OLB. However, I wouldn't call Ellis, Gholston, or Pace a pass rushing threat.

3. Second DT: We need a starting DT to put next to Jenkins. I don't know if Coleman can make the transition to 43 DT (or if I want him to) since he played his whole career as a 34 DE. I like Mosley but not as a starter.

4. MLB Depth: Need someone behind Harris.

2. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

re-sign vilma

3. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Man, I hate these threads (nothing personal Phyr - there's just a constant stream of "Switch to the 4-3" threads on this board).

The worst part is that, if we actually do switch to a 4-3, this board will see an unending stream of "We should switch to the 3-4" threads.

4. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

This might work...if we had someone like John Abraham still on the roster. We have zero pass rushing talent at the moment. I'm hoping it was just because they were being misused by the CS, but Pace, Gholston, Thomas, and Ellis have all looked sluggish for most of the season.

5. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

no please do not switch the pieces are in place there is no reason to switch keep the 3-4

6. Phyr

Phyr Member

This is not a switch to the 4-3 thread. I'm not in favor of switching to the 4-3. We already need two new starters in the secondary, a WR, and possibly a QB. However, we need to still consider the distinct possibility that we will switch. I would rather have a 4-3 than to pick a coach just because he is a 3-4 guy (ala Marty Schott and Wade Phillips). If we were going to do that, we should have just kept Mangini.

7. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

But now its actually a possibility with a new coach coming in.

8. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

I actually want a 4-3. I dont think it would be hard at all to go to. The only problem would be having good players on the bench, like Pace. I think it would look like this:

DE: Gholston
    DT: Ellis
    DT: Jenkins
    DE: BT, Coleman, Devito

OLB: Draft? Cushing?
    ILB: Harris
    OLB: Barton

9. Phyr

Phyr Member

I would get rid of Bryan Thomas no matter what the scheme. Ellis is not a 4-3 DT (maybe in pass rushing situations). I think Pace would be the other starting end. Coleman and DeVito would fit more into the 4-3 DT role than Ellis.

10. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

I'd prefer to stay in the 3-4. But if we had to switch, Pace and BT are athletic enough to stay on as LB for the strong side. Which would give us a great pass rush and a big, solid run defense. It also means the Jets only really have to fill the other OLB position.

11. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

43 DEs
    Calvin Pace 6-4 270 did shit at DE in Ari, could have been coaching but could be his skillset
    Vernon Gholston 6-3 264 I guess we will see, better get faster
    Marques Murrell 6-2 250 to small and not fast enough to be an edge rusher
    David Bowens 6-3 265 Cut, to slow, did nothing in Miami
    Shaun Ellis 6-5 285, getting long in the tooth but better than the rest

43 DTs
    Kris Jenkins 6-4 349 great nose, would create mismatches
    Sione Pouha 6-3 325 paired beside Jenkins we have block eaters to free up LBs to go haywire
    Kenyon Coleman 6-5 295 speed from the inside
    CJ Mosley 6-2 302, natural position is 3-technique
    Mike DeVito 6-3 298, more of a block eater, but not overly strong

43 OLBs
    Weak side
    David Harris 6-2 243 lack of coverage skills hurts him but could adapt with some weight loss, smart player but not the athleticism needed then he could be middle or strong side
    Eric Barton 6-2 245 favourite player but not athletic enough for the 4-3, could be serviceable at weak side for the season
    Cody Spencer 6-2 245 cut, to slow
    Jason Trusnik 6-4 250 cut, to slow

Strong Side
    no players currently on the roster

43 ILB
    no players currently on the roster would fit well
    Harris 6-2 243 is the default

Needs:

1. MLB: Large problem with Harris, he cannot play the MLB in a 4-3, to slow and no coverage skills

1. OLBs: If Harris lost some weight he could move to strong side or play middle as long as we get a big playmaker with coverage skill on the strong side, we need coverage backers badly

2. Pass Rush: I agree with what you think here!

I think we have good depth at DE if we switch back to the 43 and we can even get rid of Bryan Thomas. Ellis can move to DT during 3 down passing situations like Justin Tuck did last year for the Giants. Pace can give us good versatility and I think Gholston will have better success as a DE than a OLB. However, I wouldn't call Ellis, Gholston, or Pace a pass rushing threat.

3. Second DT: We need a starting DT to put next to Jenkins. I don't know if Coleman can make the transition to 43 DT (or if I want him to) since he played his whole career as a 34 DE. I like Mosley but not as a starter.

for the draft we would need a LB in round 1 or 2 to make this happen

12. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Didnt Ellis play DT when we ran a 4-3? Pretty sure.

13. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas both suck in the 4-3. We got rid of Vilma and Abraham. i'm not in the mood to spend 2-3 season rebuilding the defense

14. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

We are close to having the correct personnel to run a 3-4 and it is a better defense. The ability to "shoot" any of the four linebackers makes it more complex to deal with. We should stick with it and get a coach in here who knows how to run an agressive 3-4 defense.

15. jetsfan007

jetsfan007 New Member

The thing about jets is that they always get rid of good players and keep the old, slow grumpy ones. WHY!

Why did they get rid of Santana moss, John Abraham, NT robertson and Vilma, but keeping coles, thomas jones, Ellis, barton, baker ?

We need at least one dominate player on our defense and for god sake, be physical, hit somebody on the field. Right now the defense looks like made out of paper!

16. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

He's a DE.

17. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Thank you for that.

18. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Our team could be switched back to the 4-3 with almost Ease. They all area orginally 4-3 Players who just recently switched to 3-4 They suck at it anyway might aswell go to the 4-3. An yeah i like the idea of re-signing Vilma.

19. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

theres a few major problems with going to the 4-3 again,

1. who will be our front 4?
    jenkins and ellis are the only ones i see ellis a decent 4-3 end and jenkins is a decent nose in a 4-3 much better in a 3-4, is coleman a 3T tackle? i dont think so and people are penciling in gholston as a 4-3 end, what makes you think he can play? He couldnt get off his blocks i dont care what scheme your in you have to be able to beat your man and he just couldnt do it

two harris may be able to play mlb, MAY but he also might not have enough lateral movement to go sideline to sideline. Who will be our OLBs? Thomas and Pace cant cover anything

It would be another 2-3 years of rebuiliding and i dont think it would be worth it when were close to being done with our 3-4

20. jetsfan007

jetsfan007 New Member

Get John Abraham back, we need a good pass rusher!