Just an Observation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kevmvp, Dec 29, 2008.

1. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Watch the Panthers play. Watch Deangalo Williams and Jonathan Stewart run, watch how Ronnie Brown runs. I like TJ but how come I never see players like that brought in here?

Watch Steve Smith play WR, watch Marquis Colston, Anquan Boldin, and Larry Fitzgerald. How come we dont have players like that?

Those are just a few names. Basically my point is that im watching highlights of this weeks games and I see all these guys that are so good at what they do. I see Deangelo Williams and Stewart for the Panthers running around and there so hard to tackle, they break tackles and turn nothing into big plays. Besides Leon Washington I never see anybody on the Jets do that.

I see all these WR make great catches and make great plays and take over games. Why cant we bring in a guy like that?

I mean seriously can we please go out weather its via trades, FA, or the draft and get some guys in here that can dominate a game.

I dont wanna see the Jets go out and just focus on getting "team oriented guys". Look i'm sure Kenyon Coleman is a good team guy but he cant sack the QB. I'm sure Abram Elam and Eric Smith bust their ass for this team but they cant cover anybody. I like the WR but none of them are game changers.

It's time to go out and get difference makers and game changers.

#1 kevmvp, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. Kenny

Kenny New Member

Jets need a big time wr and have for a long time.. Santana Moss had really one breakout season with us, Coles had some nice wr's... But we desperately on offense need a game changer.. You can say the same on defense too as far as a pass rusher goes

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

I agree. All our guys are alright, just not spectacular! The 3 players that stand out to me in this regard on this team are under-utilized.

Leon Washington

Dustin Keller

David Clowney

4. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

...so is the observation that the Jets don't have good players?

Because I'm inclined to agree.

5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Its an observation that there clearly missing out on some really good players out there.

6. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I understand what your saying, but you cant say that. lol We can all look around the leaguweand wish we had a squad of pro bowl guys... We have allot of talent on the jets, some help in some areas would be great.. you cant just look at pro bowl players and say why dont we have them. you mentioned guys on 5/6 dif teams..

7. Kenny

Kenny New Member

there not missing out, it's just very hard to find a big time game changer..

8. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

There are guys out there. You just have to be willing to bring them in here. Instead of giving Damian Woody and Bryan Thomas big contracts you can try and spend that type of money on guys that are explosive and can change games.

9. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

The jet from office does allot($$$$$) to attract players.. once again lets remember our schmuck coach was the NUMBER 2 coach players don't want to play for... i think that is an obstacle also.

10. Kenny

Kenny New Member

who was available that you wanted last offseason??? The Jets did the right thing spending money on the line

11. week17magic

week17magic New Member

our team is fine talent wise, probably have the best roster in our division, too bad we suck though

12. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Nobody comes to mind right now. I'm very happy with the moves that were made last off season. Your missing the point. The point is IMO that a lot of the teams in the NFL have impact players on their teams. Lets look at the Skill posistion players on the Jets.

QB- Brett Favre- He was a great Player but at 39 years old its hard to expect MVP type play out of him. He's a solid QB at this point in his career.

RB- Thomas Jones- He's a good running back. He's not great. He's a good player. Leon is a game breaker but he isnt an everydown back.

WR- Laverneus Coles and Jerricho Cotchery- There good. They catch the ball and are dependable. There good players.

TE- Baker is a good blocker and has good hands. He's an average Tight End. Keller has a chance to be special. He is the one player on the Jets Offense that has a chance to be dominant and feared at his posistion. We will see I guess.

You see my point? There all good players but they dont have anybody at any posistion (besides maybe Keller) that is just a cut above the rest. There all just good. Theres nobody that is great. There is nobody that excites you when they touch the ball.

The Dolphins have guys like Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, and Tedd Gin Jr who when they touch the ball there is a chance they can take it all the way. The Pats have Randy Moss and Wes Welker, hell the Bills have Marshawn Lynch and Lee Evans (just nobody else). Fans get excited when those guys get the ball in their hands. Who do we have? Thomas Jones?, Laverneus Coles?, Jerricho Cotchery? Those guys are all good players but they dont scare you. We have Leon Washington who is a backup RB and thats it. We need to add some fire power to this team.

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I was thinking about this today..... once again I'm sure come February the Terrell Owens threads will start up again because my gut tells me the Cowboys are going to release him. I think they (Dallas) now know that Owens is a locker room destroyer. He also eats up alot of money and drops alot of passes. I don't want him on my team but he may be an option.

We need an explosive WR, I was never a big Bernard Berrian fan but that guy has wheels and is finally starting to catch the ball. When the Viking QBs throw in his direction you know there is the potential for something huge, the same of Roddy White in Atlanta. It's amazing if you look around the league how many teams have a great WR while we are stuck with 2 number 2 guys. The Lions, Packers, Vikings, Bills, Chargers, Broncos, among others have that explosive game breaking WR. If I'm the Jets I'm looking at a big and fast WR very early in next years draft maybe even in the 1st round but definately in the 1st 4 rounds, none of this Harry Williams, or whoever the clown from Kansas we drafted this year garbage.

14. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Jets have at least two players like the kind you say you want, Keller and Washington. Two is about the same number as the teams you named. The real problem is coaching.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

revis is one, washington, soon to be keller, and the Jenkins we saw in the 1st half.

thats 4

16. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

I'll go ahead and disagree here. Steve Smith is the poster child for "combustible." I mean, this is the same guy who socked his own teammate in the face. When the chips were all on the table for him, he didn't really have a game-breaking performance; this was in a Super Bowl where Jake Delhomme arguably had the game of his life, and he put up about the same numbers as Ricky Proehl.

DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart? There are at least 10 of each of those guys that come around each decade. Let them do it for more than one year, when teams have game tape and can plan for the two-headed rushing attack. Julius Jones and Marion Barber looked arguably as good in past years.

The point I'm trying to make here is that talent is fine, but New England won the championship-- and multiple times, might I add-- without a game-breaking talent (and sorry, I'm still not counting Tom Brady). What happened when they added their first two serious, game-breaking, superstar players to the squad? An undefeated regular season and an epic choke job. I wouldn't chalk it up to coincidence that one of those guys was a notorious lollygagging quitter.

I don't want superstars. I want a team. I don't want a guy who shoots himself in the leg, makes it rain in the strip club, or constantly shows up his quarterbacks. Those guys, at the end of the day, don't have any hardware. This team as presently constituted can win a Super Bowl. Even with Favre. They just need better minds calling the plays. You're telling me that this team would be 9-7 if Jeff Fisher was head coach, Dan Henning was offensive coordinator, and Steve Spagnuolo was calling the shots on defense?

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

The problem with Washington is that he is a backup player.

Like I said I agree with Keller.

Jenkins and Revis play defense. Revis is a corner. Its hard to take over a game as a corner and Jenkins plays about 30 snaps a game. I like both of those guys but they cant take over a game.

The posistions you would look at would be QB, RB, WR, maybe TE, Defensive End, and LB.

18. jetsfan007

jetsfan007 New Member

Go Get Ocho Cinco!

19. islesfan

islesfan New Member

The common denominator amongst those players is that they all play for teams that are committed to doing what those players do best. Granted they are all very skilled players but their teams put them in situations where they can take advantage of their skills and excel.

The 2008 Jets, while very talented, flew by the seat of their pants and never committed to anything. You would have thought that after the Tennessee game, they would have committed to a smash mouth running game but instead they went in the opposite direction.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Basically we dont have a gamebreaker...Neon Leon has the potential but we ran out of waterboys so we used him