Final Pennington vs Favre Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Dec 21, 2008.

1. southjerseyjets

southjerseyjets New Member

Brett will not be baxk next year and Chad might or might not start with the fins next year because Miami is still rebuilding. Miami will start Henne becuase he has a better arm.
    Same reason we dirtched Chad. I have to say, though..Chad is really throwng the ball much better this year than he has since the surgery. He is gutty like Favre, a leadr like Favre. Chad protects the ball better than Favre. Miami is winning close games against poor teams that we are losing close games to. I think the Jets are better than Miami and will win this week.

2. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Fusion - I don't disagree with anything you said except that there are just as many people here who KNOW that the Jets would be worse off (ie. < 9-6) with Pennington as there are people who KNOW that they would be better off (> 9-6). There are just as many "Chad haters" as "Chad lovers" on this forum.

3. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

This game is not about Favre versus Pennington. Pennington has already had the better season and that's not going to change. And it's impossible to say what the Jets season would have looked like had Chad been the QB. The point is the Jets took a shot with Favre. If they reach the playoffs it may have been worth it, if not, it probably wasn't. That's all Sunday is going to prove. Although the argument could be made that even if the Jets reach the playoffs, they'd need a victory or two to justify the Favre deal.

4. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Your right about the OL and WRs. But if they ran the ball enough to force the defense to respect play action Favre would be winging the ball this way and that. The real problem is a CS that doesn't know how to play to strengths and hide weaknesses. No team is perfect, the '85 Bears had the best defense ever with a crap secondary. Good coaches see where the strengths are.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Regardless what happens this week Chad has been better. His tea has half the talent around him that Brett's does.

The problem is we have a good OL and very good WRs. Ask Chad if he'd rather have Coles and Cotch or Davon bess and Ted Ginn? Why was Chad able to thrive w/ these guys and not Brett? The 1st half of the year Brett and the receivers were adjusting, during our streak it looked like all were on the same page but these last 4 games they look like they did early in the year again and Brett has been as accurate as Kyle Mackey. The team has not played well and it's not all on Brett but w/ better QB play we have this division clinched already.

6. Fusion2006

Fusion2006 New Member

Yeah obviously Chad has had the "better" season.

But if the Jets go out and Chad chokes like he usually does and the Jets beat the Dolphins TWICE and with some help get into the playoffs, you still think Chad Pennington was a better option for us this year???

I'd rather be a lion for a day than a lamb that lives forever. The Jets took a chance at a Super Bowl. I'd rather do that than have Mr. No Pro Bowl, No MVP, No Conference Title, No Super Bowl forever.

7. Long Time Jet Fan

Chokes the way he usually does? Which QB has won the clutch games the last several weeks? That is just an uninformed statement.

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

He didn't choke in 2002 or in 2006 when we needed to win the last two games each time to get in, we got in. You can say we lost the last two games in 2004, but in the last one we knew we were in by OT and we won on the road once we got to the playoffs, far from choking. Oh yeah, and he shouldn't really have even been out there in the first place. He risked his career so we could take a shot at a title while we had it.

9. Long Time Jet Fan

I'm with you on this. Chad has won some big playoff games and generally performed well in the clutch. What people fail to realize is that even great QBd suffer when they're under constant pressure from opposoing defenses.

10. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Only way Henne starts over CP is if CP is hurt

11. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Chad was also laughed at, and it was said he'd never make it out of preseason as the starter against Henne's wonderful arm. Then the prediction was at what point Henne would take over... 0-4? 0-6? As a matter of fact, who is the Henne you speak of? I haven't seen him at all. :rofl:

I figure Chad will start another year or two for the Dolphins. Providing he doesn't get hit with another injury. Rebuilding or otherwise, they are likely to bring Henne along slower with Chad being the first option at QB.

12. Mr. Papagiorgio

Henne played in the Cardinals game after Pennington was benched. Henne ended up with a better passer rating. I think Penny will get one more year with the Dolphins before they ship him off, so they can start Henne. Pennington was never going to win us a Super Bowl and won't with Miami. It was time to move on.

13. nyjunc

Please explain when Chad has choked for us? I'd love to see what you come up w/.

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Pittsburgh in the 2004 Divisional round where he put up about 3 points? Giants, Bengals and Bills games last year where he threw game-ending picks in crunch time with a win up for grabs? 2002 Divisional round in Oakland where he curled up in a ball and did nothing?

15. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

You say that as if it is unlikely...

16. nyjunc

You are giving us 2007 games when the team was awful? '04 I can buy but remember he got us in position for the GW FG TWICE and he was playing w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder.

The whole team stunk in Oakland but Chad was bad. That game was 10-10 late in the 3rd in case we forget and Chrebet had a huge penalty and drop, Coles dropped a TD, Coles gave up on the game chaging INT. Chad was bad but so was the rest of the offense.

So basically 2 games in his Jet career, what a choker. Did he ever cost us a playoff spot like Favre is on the verge of doing? Nope. In all his healthy years here he led us to the postseason just like he's about to do w/ Miami.

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He also made a huge mistake in the NE playoff game in 06 which cost us the game but you can't blame Chad for throwing a lateral into the teeth of a blitz can you?

18. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Man these are the rosiest glasses I've ever seen. You and a small handful of other blind people with memory problems might be the only ones that buy into that.

Have you forgotten the truckload of 5-7 yard dumps when he'd need 10-15 yards? You call it safe smart ball, that's fine. I call it lame.

Maybe some of those 3rd and long draw plays were his audibles haha. I can't really argue. The past 5 weeks Pennington has outplayed Favre. Not the entire season, just the past 5 weeks. Favre is hurt so it doesn't really count. Just like when Pennington was hurt it didn't count against him. So, Favre still has the edge, by injury default.

Not to mention Favre is putting his farming career on the line by coming out and playing injured. Favre has been a trooper and deserves a medal for his selfless play.

#158 JohnnyJohnson, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  19. nyjunc

That was such a fluke play, 99 times out of 100 it's a lateral. If Favre threw veryone here would blame the CS for calling that play.

Outside of 1-2 games this year Chad has outplayed him the entire year.

Fvare deserves a medal for sabotaging our season but Chad playing w/ a torn rotator cuff didn't deserve any appreciation from Jet fans? And people wonder why jet fans have such a terrible reputation.

20. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

At the end of the day neither one of these guys would be the answer for this team. Farve was once a great Qb but at this point they are both first rd one and done Qb's at best. The thinking was spend over 100 Mil and take a risk that Farve could catch lightning in a bottle one more time to give us a shot at a SB. At the end of the day they are both not the answer for this team. Chad gets a moral victory for the feel good story for the Dolphins but the reality is he is warming a seat for Henne. Now matter who our quarterback would have been we would still be in the same position.