Final Pennington vs Favre Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Dec 21, 2008.

1. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

It's pointless to argue with him. He gets these ideas in his head, and runs with them. Just let him go.

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

You don't have to tell me twice, JJ. I quit taking his outlook on the Jets seriously a long time ago.

3. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Been a longtime since I have posted

I have not posted here in quite some time, every now and again I stop by to check out the pulse of us Jets fans. After yesterdays loss I could not think, eat, drink beer...nothing. Just sat with the Jets post game on mute and stared at my dog who could not understand why I was so upset.

I post now to this thread because I hated the Chad release and Favre signing. Nobody would listen to me, and this is NOT and I told you so type of post, this is a mere matter of fact post. They way we ran this offense, short passing game, quick reads, screens and smoke screens...this is what Chad does so well, Brett probably won one game Chad would have lost, in NE..if you want to say the Titans game too, fine, two games. However, he lost us a game yesterday that we needed, without the miracle Elam/Ellis play last week we would have lost, and he played TERRIBLE against Denver, so the difference is negligible, we could def be 9-6 with Chad or better. What Chad always did was bring a confidence into the huddle, leadership, accountability, heart....PASSION...that is sooo lost on this team, they look like zombies out there, after the game they were emotionless...a locker room and offense with T. Jones and Chad would inspire much more emotion and energy...this was an embarrassment.

I don't even know what to say anymore... Chad was my favorite Jet, so yes I am bias...but man do I miss him when I see this team talk about how hard they PRACTICE.... in the words of Allen Iverson.." were talking about practice!!!" Chad brought accountability, smarts, teamwork and leadership, all the things we seem to be missing as we spiral out of control.

Look how the Dolphins play behind Chad, look how the Jets play with Brett, nuff said!

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Ricky and Ronnie ran it 20 times for 66 yds(3.3 YPC), their D allowed 31 pts. Chad led them to 38 w/ very little help on the grouns while our future HOfer led us to 3 points.

Dod I say Chad was the ONLY reason? He's the biggest reason but obviously not the only reason.

I base it on what he did when he wa here and healthy, I base it on what he has done w/ a team that is half as talented as we are, I base it on the biggest reason we suck is b/c of the QB position. There's no doubt we'd be better if we kept Chad, NONE. he has a team that was 1-15 a year ago w/ a better record than us. Why, w/ more talent around him, couldn't he have done better w/ us?

5. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I'm not going to play what-if theory's. Nobody, junc, JJ, Favrestein, or anybody else really knows what would have happened if Pennington had stayed. Also, the season isn't over yet. Maybe a miracle happens and Favre and the offense finally find a groove in next week's game and the Jets make the playoffs and Miami is out.

However, what I do know is that up until this point in the season Pennington has played better for the Dolphins than Favre has played for the Jets. The stats (although they never tell the whole story) speak for themselves. Pennington has played his best with the season on the line and Favre has not.

The one stat that the "Chad sucks" crowd (and I hate to generalize here) always brings up is that TD's are the most important stat. Well in the last five games Pennington has 9 TD's (and 2 INT's) and Favre has 3 TD's (and 7 INT's).

The last chapter has not been written yet. Now I hope that the trend reverses - as I believe most of the "Pro Pennington" people do - and Favre outplays Pennington in the finale and the Jets somehow make the playoffs. However, if Favre doesn't lead the Jets to a win (or at least outduels Pennington) then in my mind the experiment will have been a failure.

#85 johnny, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

When we needed Brett the most, it did not happen. That is all I know.

7. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

Wouldn't you be forced to develop a QB regardless?? Miami has Pennington, and yet that's not keeping us from developing a young QB...

Favre is a "stop gap", now that's one I've yet to hear...:lol:

Pennington certainly isn't hurting our QB plans for the future. In fact, having Pennington is making the transition for Henne that much easier. He's helping, not holding back...

I think Pennington is the perfect QB to build around. It's mostly based on the fact that he's smart / safe with the football. He brings leadership, confidence, and focus to the entire offense, and has already made a huge impact after only one season. If that's not the kind of QB to build around, I don't know what is....

IN TUNA WE TRUST....

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I say we start Kellen Clemens next week. Every other team's second string QB outplays Captain Intangibles, why not ours?

9. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

10. Angel

Angel Member

Penny's a class act, Farve not so much!

Go Fish!!

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Agreed. Pennington had good run support yesterday. It just came from different sources than normal. Still looks like he had a good day though.

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The Jets went from 1 and 15 to 9 & 7 with Neil O'Donnel and Parcells. O'Donnel was dumped the next year and we went 13 and 3 with Vinny T. Parcells did both of those things. The Jets decided not to rebuild this year they rebuilt over the off season and went for all the marbels. Pennington isn't that guy and with a staff that didn't believe in him he wasn't the guy to rebuild around. Parcells rebuilt the Cowboys and took them to the playoffs with Quincy Carter.

Chad in 8 years here was rarely healthy and never had the big game to get us to the next level. Maybe he will do that for the Dolphins, maybe he is doing for the Dolphins what Neil O'Donnel did for us in 97 and Collins did for Washington last year? Time will tell maybe as early as next week.

Herm proved he was a great HC to many people when he took the Chiefs to the playoffs a couple of years ago. He is very likely to get a pink slip for Christmas instead of the invitation to the playoffs letter. There is a difference between maybe making the playoffs and being a contending team for a SB.

#92 winstonbiggs, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Perfectly said. It's funny how many people on here continuously point to the 1-7 start with Chad last year and completely ignore the rest of his career, which includes three playoff appearances going on four, two playoff wins and a division title, now probably two. The same people who scoff at the "take out the Arizona game" argument for Favre want to isolate a half season of Chad's career as the rule and discount the other six years he's started as the exception. Both are silly, but portraying half of a season on a bad team as Chad's whole career is sillier, he's proved that again this season.

We're living in 2008, how have both QBs done in 2008? Did the big move work? We'll see Sunday, personally I'm not optimistic. If Tyler Thigpen, Shaun Hill, JP Losman and Seneca Wallace can all pick apart our D with the short passing game, what makes you think the most accurate passer in NFL history--who also happens to be on quite a roll--isn't going to? Do you think he's going to "come out flat" returning to finish off the team that left him for dead earlier this season? I don't.

15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Thanx I.S...
    That part right there is killer.

We are going to see this CS actually Cringing because they had what they Needed in Chad and are trying to make Brett be Chadlike...
    Not gonna happen.

16. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

Um, just pointing out, that Brett was actually forced into the jets.

But c'mon people, stop giving up and going to the dolphins, give some time to let it sink in that as long as 1 of 2 teams wins their games, and the jets win then we can be in the playoffs.

17. caniac5

caniac5 New Member

I can't believe Pennington has been as good as he has been. As a Dolphin fan, I always thought he was an above average qb who had a couple of good years with the Jets. I had no idea he was as good as he has been for the Dolphins. I knew we had a difficult time beating him, but that isn't saying much. The last few years, we haven't been able to beat a lot of average qb's.

I still believe that the Jets did the best they could at the time Favre became available. Most Jet fans wanted Favre desperately, and if he could continue to perform as he did at the beginning of the season the Jets would be tough to beat by playoff time. It hasn't quite worked out but you can't blame Jets management.

18. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

Wanna know why pennington is doing well? Bill Parcels. He is the boss. That man comes in and actually just makes shitty teams competitors. I know secretly Parcels is telling Sparano what plays to call during the game. Sparano is Parcels puppet so Parcels doesn't have to go outside haha. That's why Pennington is beasting. Now i just want to let you know the Pennington will be getting hurt next season or he will go on his normal decline. 90% sure! If you want look at stats, every other year has been shitty for him.

19. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Oh that right our D has looks so damn great....

20. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

Chad's year blows Brett's out of the water, it's not even close who was the better QB this year, not even close!