Wish we still had Herm

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Dec 22, 2008.

1. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I know. It's like asking for VD.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He had more talented teams every year he made the playoffs. Pennington is much better than Favre unless you changed your mind, Martin is 10X the back of Thomas Jones, better OL, a deep threat a stud pass rusher and a great running back at catching the ball that allowed us to utilize a great blocking TE.

He choked in Pittsburgh, he choked with Quincy against Baltimore and he destroyed the team and has now destroyed the Chiefs and will be getting canned twice in 4 years after taking over two very good teams.

3. 611LWC

611LWC New Member

I am sorry but you can't because his record this season does not address the point I speaking to in your message. You stated that Edwards ruined what Parcells built here and that is simply not true. Under Herm the Jets went to the Playoffs in 2001, 2002 and 2004. In 2002 and 2004 the Jets went to the divisional round. I would hardly call that ruining anything.

With respect to that point, I rest my case.....

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

the same could be said about the Dolphins.....they were perceived as being in the "rebuilding" stage as well...and they turned it around in one year....

their roster is relatively young...i mean, all teams will have some veterans...the Chiefs have their share as well (L.Johnson, Gonzalez, Surtain to name a few).

The difference here is that the Dolphins are well coached...the Chiefs...are not.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets would have been murdered by the Patriots in 2004.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Parcells drafted most of players that allowed Edwards to succeed..that was my point. If not for Parcells...Herm might not have the same success.

7. 611LWC

611LWC New Member

Your point if I remember correctly it was that Herm ruined what parcells built. I don't know how you can say that given the level of success he had....Now if you want to say he did not improve upon it, that is a different question....

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I guess what i'm saying is...Herm didn't put us "over the hump"....saying he "ruined" Parcells' roster was kind of harsh.

but having said that....i still don't want him back here....we could do better...a heck of a lot better than Herm.

9. winstonbiggs

Never liked Herm as the HC but I probably put him behind Weeb, Parcells and Walt Michaels for the Jets that's it. I can't say Mangini is better than Herm based on the uninspired performance down the stretch this year. Herm at least wasn't a humourless nerd and provided a little levity. Like Mangini he wasn't much of a game day coach and I also don't conceptually like so called "players coaches" but all in all Herm holds his own with Mangini. Both deserved to be fired as well.

10. ganggreengirl

ganggreengirl New Member

It has to be.

11. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

I think I'd rather have Kotite than Herm. Well, maybe not, but Joe Walton was a better coach than Herm.

12. winstonbiggs

I was no fan of Herm's but Joe Walton? That's not fair at all.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

this team will continue to spin its wheels if Mangini is retained. My big problem with him is that he doesn't make any adjustments during the game....you won't win in this league if you're not "dynamic".

14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

He is expert at adjusting his gum in his mouth, though. Hence, the big bucks.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Jones this year has been as good as Curtis ever was for us and we didn't have a Leon Washington on those teams. Our Ol this year is as good as the best Ols we had under Herm, we have a better WR duo than we ever had under Herm, a better TE pass catcher, a better DL, better LBs, the best corner we may have ever had. This team is the best collection of talent we have had since 1998.

Choking in Pitt is one thing, choking at Oak, at SF, vs, Den and at Seattle is another thing.

Destroyed the Chiefs? The Chiefs missed the playoffs 2 straight years before he was hired, they made it in year 1 and that talent has been eroding thanks to an incomptent GM but that team still fights hard every week. If we played w/ half the heart of the Chiefs we'd be playing for a seed this week.

\
    The dolphins rebuilt their OL, Peterson hasn't done that in KC and the dolphins got a quality vet QB while KC is playing a young guy. If Miami didn't get Chad they would have 5-6 wins right now.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I know this is a little off topic....but i'm just sitting here wondering if Mangini's age has anything to do with him possibly losing the lockeroom. Most of the veterans on this team are older than him....and Mangini is obviously not "winning".....i bet a lot of what Mangini is saying in the lockeroom is falling on "deaf ears". If he's saying anything at all.

17. winstonbiggs

Jones this year never ground teams down, got the key first downs in third and shorts. Curtis and the OL outright carried our 04 team, ground teams into the dust and set up every pass play. Jones this year had nice stats on an O designed around the passing game. Leon unfortunately didn't get the carries because he was on punt and kickoff returns and saw very limited duty. We got more production out of Anderson and Sowell than both Leon and Keller combined in this O.

18. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

We will never truly know what is really happening. Something has to be, though.

I just dont see how it is remotely possible for the Jets to win Sunday; even if NE and the Ravens lose.

This year has to be one of the Epic Collapses in sports.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

yeah...life stinks as a Jets fan right now. I can't see us winning either....not after what's been displayed on the field over the last 4 weeks.

20. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Very true! Why does most here on this board act as if herm edwards was kotite or mangini.. He wasnt.. besides Parcels. who's been a better coach than herm? Walton. Carol, Coslet? its unreal. herm did allot of good things...