Worse NFL Franchises than the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, Dec 22, 2008.

1. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Just wallowing in my misery and thought what NFL franchise is worse than the Jets. For the record, I based my list on SB appearances, SB wins, overall heritage of the team, and recent success.

My list of worse NFL franchises than the Jets:

Browns
    Vikings
    Chiefs
    Lions
    Cardinals
    Saints
    Falcons

I think that's about it. Sad ain't it?

#1 LoyalJetsFan, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. steviep

steviep Active Member

Vikings had a very good stretch in the 70's. The rest, I agree. Falcons?

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

My friend is a Lions fan--one playoff win since 1961. Since he told me that I never complain to him about the Jets anymore.

4. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I considered the Falcon's...but they did make it to the big dance in 98...so they are borderline...but gun to my head, Id add them.

5. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Being a Lions fan has to be the worst; I just can't figure them out. They get high picks every year and then go no where.

6. Italian Seafood

Matt Millen--kept drafting WRs. WRs don't help if you can't block and nobody can throw.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I used to make these kinds of threads. Hey, it could be worse, threads.

Not anymore. Lets just win.

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

I think the Chiefs are no worse than the Jets, and the Vikings overall have had more success (at least it seems that way).

Browns, Cardinals, Lions for sure. Saints as well.

9. Italian Seafood

I recently saw a capsule summary of Carl Peterson's 20 years, very similar to our past 20 years. A couple extra division titles and playoff appearances for KC over that time, but not many--one AFC Championship game appearance each. They won the Super Bowl a year after we did. Probably as equal to us as any other franchise, they've even had their own Herm Edwards era.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

If the Vikings make that list, I don't know how you keep the Bills off. I think the Bengals are worse as well. Plus, they're responsible for Boomer.

And the original Otto Graham era Browns are one of the all time great dynasties. So they got that going for them. Which is nice.

11. keypusher

keypusher Member

Between 1946 and 1955 the Browns were one of the best franchises in the history of professional sports. If you limit it to years after 1960, they were still good for most of the 1960s, they had the Cardiac kids in the late 70s-early 80s and some good years with Bernie Kosar. But it doesn't get much worse than having your franchise cease to exist.

The Chiefs were one of the best AFL franchises and they were consistently good in the 1990s.

The Cards, Saints, Lions and Falcons are pretty much no-brainers. I would add the Bengals. But if you'd made this list in 1974 you certainly would have included the Steelers, and if you had made it in 2000 you would have included the Patriots. Things can always change.

12. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

not to mention they had the washed up legend era with Joe Montana a la Favre with us

13. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

um... Texans? I know they have only been around since 02' but they havent even had a .500 season yet... so I think they belong on the list as well.

Also, the only good thing that has ever happened to the Lions was Barry Sanders, and they still managed to fuck that up. The best runningback to ever play the game, and they cant even win a playoff game with him. horrible.

14. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Vikings are debatable, they didn't do anything after '77.

Not the bills. They went to the SB 4 years in a row.

15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

This would be my list....

Browns (made worse by the fact that the original Browns went to Baltimore and won a SB)
    Bungles (2 SB appearances don't take away from all the sucking and piss poor ownership)
    Lions (when you weren't alive the last time your team was relevant and we're not talking teenagers I'm talking to the seniors in the crowd that means you suck)
    Cardinals (A West Coast version of the Lions)
    Saints (At least Jim Haslett and Aaron Brooks got you that playoff win)
    Jaguars (they've been around long enough to be on the list)
    Seahawks (some good years under Holmgren and a SB loss but these guys sucked for most of my childhood and adult life don't forget Boz, that should make you tops on the list)

I'd rank the Chiefs ahead, it's easy to forget this team was very good for a very long time. 2nd best home record while Peterson was GM plus some SB caliber teams that Martyball killed. 2 SB appearnces and a win... not too shabby

I think even though they lost 4 SBs in the 70's the Vikings are ahead as well. They did have some very good teams since then and a 15-1 season that probably should have resulted in more glory but instead just agony.

I don't think you can rank Atlanta ahead of the Jets but say they are about even, the SB appearance is nice but they had some very good teams under Glanville and Reeves. They also had some nice teams under Mora Jr. Even after the Michael Vick debacle this team has rebounded nicely. I'm not so sure the Jets would have so quickly in a similar situation.

#15 Barry the Baptist, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  16. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Here's from a web site looking at the winning percentage of teams from 1997-2007:

26. Saints - 43.75% (2 p/o Apps)
    27. Raiders - 40.90% (3 p/o Apps)
    28. Bengals - 38.63% (1 p/o Apps)
    29. Lions - 35.22% (2 p/o Apps)
    30. Cardinals - 35.22% (1 p/o Apps)
    31. Browns - 34.72% (1 p/o Apps)
    32. Texans - 33.33%

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Vikings and Chiefs are better franchises historically than the Jets. Cardinals, Saints and Lions are worse. Browns and Falcons are pretty much our companions since the merger.

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Yeah, I'm not into comparing ourselves with lesser teams either. Doesn't make it any better.

That's like saying, "Well, even though I'm not doing well financially, I'm still better off than that homeless man over there." Screw that. Why compare yourself to the worst in the league?

This team was built to win this year. They brought in a shitload of talent, some of whom have a very limited shelf life. It's just not good enough to say, "Well, we're better than the Lions."

19. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Hmmm similar to my list..... I'd take the Raiders off though as they have only been a joke for the last 5 years but a pretty good history. The Texans have only been around for 5 years not enough to gauge if they are an inept franchise but they appear to be moving in the righ direction.

20. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Wait, wait, wait. Didn't I just agree with you yesterday that this isn't a win-now team. Where's the consistency?