What happened after the Titans game?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CP+SM=TD, Dec 21, 2008.

1. CP+SM=TD

CP+SM=TD New Member

What Happened?

I know we all love to sit here and say it's the same old jets, they suck, fire the coaching staff, bla bla.

But being completely serious and honest, what happened to this team? The team that was 8-3 coming off two enormous wins and the sky as the limit. The same team that has now become an absolute joke and in my honest opinion one of the worst teams in the NFL.

So who has an actual answer? What were(n't) we doing that has changed so drastically and brought about one of the worst flops I have ever seen?

2. CP+SM=TD

CP+SM=TD New Member

sorry for bumping this...but people are posting like crazy and i want to get a response

3. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

The coaching staff thought they had it in the bag and put the team in a shell.
    The players believed their own press clippings and the coaching staff failed to keep them
    down to earth.
    The refusal to adapt as the final 6 games unfolded and teams figured out certain aspects of our offensive and defensive playcalling.
    Bad, bad game planning and poor in game decision making.

4. Bizprof

Bizprof New Member

I think the players quit on this staff. It's always the players' fault every loss. Didn't mangini blame gap assignments as the #1 reason for losing? Look at Jay Feely's reaction when they wouldn't let him rekick.

They have no confidence in their players. They're an autocratic, my way or the highway coaching staff. This only works if your system is a winner.

5. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

To answer your question, see 1986 Jets (last 5 games).

6. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Let's count the ways:

1. Jets' shoddy pass defense got exposed. Lowery hit a wall and slumped bad, the LBs can't cover anything over the middle, Rhodes had one of his worst years, Law wasn't much of a band-aid, and there's no pressure being generated on the QB to disguise the flaws in the secondary.

2. Tackling technique went down the toilet. The Jets once prided themselves on being tough on the run, and somehow it all went to hell. Defenders seem to be just sliding off RBs these days.

3. Brett Favre went back to being a turnover machine. Just a lack of good decisions by him lately.

4. Coles and Cotchery got phased out of the offense.

5. ST coverage has been crap lately.

6. And of course, Mangini and his retarded pair of underlings (Schotty and Sutton) can all go to hell.

7. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

it can either be that, or it can be just another case of the madden curse striking again.....

8. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Complete inability to utilize what Favre brings to the table and below average talent on defense without the scheming/creativity to compensate.

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I can't agree more. Anyone who thinks they didn't quit on this staff is a fool. i think they proved that they could play with the big boys if they had too, and just said fuck it.

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

No, IMO I think they let Favre throw too much. His decision making has been getting worse every week with this week being the creme de la creme.

But dead on with the Defense. Just Vanilla. Line up and go.
    Horrid!

11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Quite possibly. Excellent point and the feeling is just that.
    No Confidence.

12. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I will place blame on Favre for the ridiculous floaters that are easily intercepted. But that's just what you get when you have Favre - we all knew this from Day 1. But I don't blame Favre for his ineffectiveness as of late. Shottenjunior needed to design plays where Favre could get the ball to the WRs quickly. Do you remember the Thursday night game against the Pats where Cassel kept burning Lowery with those quick out-routes? Favre would be perfect at those - his specialties are his short-mid range accuracy and his ability to gun the ball.

13. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

We (Jets) have been in a funk for a month now...what happened?? we got cocky? complacent??

Denver (sucked no enthusiasm)
    SF (sleep walking)
    Buffalo (played like crap..got lucky)
    Seattle (no spirit or guts)

14. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

They got to much smoke blown up their ass. Nah really if you have under 5 wins we cant beat you.

15. ganggreengirl

ganggreengirl New Member

They got big heads.

16. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I think think the fact that Mangini took it easy on them this year is what happened. He lightened the conditioning in hopes not to tire the team out for the stretch run instead they weren't as well conditioned as these other teams. Thats the only explanation thaT I could think of. I mean when you are giving up 70 yards rushing a game and then the last 4 give up probably somewhere around 125 a game no major injuries it doesn't make sense. Thats the only thing I can think of. Our pass rush lost a step hence the decline in sacks. Our corners slowed down hence our pass defense going from poor to historically bad.

Offensively I think it was more on Favre. I mean what irony. We bring the guy in thinking now we can go vertical with the offense and yet it's like the Chad P offense all over again. In fact Brett may be a worse deep passer at this point in is career than Chad is and at least Chad had some spunk.

This entire thing is mind boggling.

17. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

"Hotels in Tampa " thread did them in .. seriously .. cockiness ..

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

The problems on D had nothing to do with what you said. They were out-schemed and out-coached.

19. KiLLaH87

KiLLaH87 New Member

"What happened after the Titans game?"

thats a question for the ages. i still cant figure it out. if you woulda told me we were guna lose the next 3 out of 4 to sub-par teams after beating an undefeated titans team HANDELY, i would laughed in your face. maybe the players and coaches were getting gased up and it got to them.

20. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The D really wasn't as bad as you'd think this time around. They forced 2 fumbles and held the Hawks to 10 points. It's the offensive playcalling that kept them in the lead.